NBDE-1 SCORES 2010-2011(Raw & Comp)above or below 75%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perfectionist1

"LIVE LIFE"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Please post your NBDE part-1 scores 2010 and 2011-Raw and composite.
Post it whether you pass or you fail,above 75%tile or below,
it doesnt matter...we always just get to see the toppers,lets see what % doesnt make it,just to get an overall idea and to know the competition.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plotted the results in this thread while I was studying to see how many questions I needed to get right. y = 0.22x + 19.3, where y is composite score and x is number correct out of 400. R^2 is 0.95.

At least at the high end, it's approximately linear. 328/400 or around 82% correct will give you the magical 90 composite score.

took my part 1 end of august and got my score results along with national avgs:
national averages are:

anat science: 64.5
biochem/physio: 61.6
microbio/path: 66
dental anat/occlusion: 74.9

hey i just got my score
nbde part 1
composite 91
gpa 3.9
toefel 108

m planning to apply only to BU NYU and maybe if i can make the deadline of UT texas...so wat do u guys think are my chances

Awesome stats!!! congratulations
Can you tell us what was your strategy? And material you followed?
Thank you.

Crazy scores!!!! 98....95:eek:
@Daverose and Lophodont: Can you guys elaborate on your preparation please.
Thank you.

Dear friend, Everybody has his own preparation strategy that may not work for the others. But mine was as follow and I hope it be of further assistance to you guys:
- Believe in yourself and be confident about your exam
-Avoid any stressful situation and any negative people
-Concentrate on your study. Keep in mind that now it worth more than everything.
-The day before exam: No study, Walking in the evening, A cold beer after that (-D) and a good sleep.
- Keep your body and mind relax. specially days before exam.
- I JUST studied: Dental Decks(2010), ASDA released exams, NO unreleased exam, Wikipedia(Anatomy photos), NO OTHER SOURCE

- Your background in school is very important especially when you come to the testlets. I could say that I answered approximately 20-25% of questions based on what I remembered from school time. This 20% is composed of clinical questions you need to answer in Testlets.
- I would like to highlight that IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CONFUSE YOURSELF WITH DIFFERENT SOURCES OF STUDY. Pick one and be competent on that.
- During your exam do not be Obsessive about the answer you select. When you select an answer, just go to the next question. This way you'll never be in lack of time. When you finished, you could go back and check your answers.

Finally, I wish you all the very best guys. I tried to descripe my experience, and I hope it could be of help to you.
Dave

This is excellent advice. Although, I did study hard the day before. I studied for about two months before my exam, but most of it was during summer classes and only a few hours a night. I used decks, released exams, and some of the USMLE first aid book for micro and physiology. I got a biochemistry review text and worked through that the last week before the exam. It's not the quantity of sources you review, or even the total number of hours, it's the quality of study time. Most of your preparation was during the first two years of school, and when I was reviewing old lecture notes I saw a lot of answers right there, long forgotten.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot Daverose and lophodont.
You said it right Daverose its all about maintaining your cool (which I am lacking right now!:scared:) But boy 98 with just that sources-toughie!!! May be you finished it all in school. I have been out of school for long now, so everything seems new!:confused: Gotta start it from the scratch!
Thank you both! God bless you all:)Any more tips...please share!

Thanks alot Daverose and lophodont.
You said it right Daverose its all about maintaining your cool (which I am lacking right now!:scared:) But boy 98 with just that sources-toughie!!! May be you finished it all in school. I have been out of school for long now, so everything seems new!:confused: Gotta start it from the scratch!
Thank you both! God bless you all:)Any more tips...please share!

You are welcome Holly J. Ya, exactly, I'm trying to say that BE COOL! I think that's the key to success.
Let me mention another point, once you design your strategy and you are on the path, so all you need to do is to study and study. I myself never looked up Student Doctor Network during my study. Because I think it's more distracting and confusing when you are concentrating on your study. I took the advices of guys here before I start my study 4months ago. After that NO. And now after I'm finished, again I'm here to share my experiences with other guys.
So. be cool, be cool, stay on your path, avoid any distractions.:)

You are welcome Holly J. Ya, exactly, I'm trying to say that BE COOL! I think that's the key to success.
Let me mention another point, once you design your strategy and you are on the path, so all you need to do is to study and study. I myself never looked up Student Doctor Network during my study. Because I think it's more distracting and confusing when you are concentrating on your study. I took the advices of guys here before I start my study 4months ago. After that NO. And now after I'm finished, again I'm here to share my experiences with other guys.
So. be cool, be cool, stay on your path, avoid any distractions.:)
Guys i m going to write my exam in Dec ....i m freaking out
syllabus is too vast ...i just finished 2 subject ...n rest all subjects around 50% especially anat and biochem is killing me
plz guide how do i finish these things soon ...i want to start my revision.
ANY TIPS...are 3-4 months are enough to do it...how many hrs a day should i put in ?

@vdt2009:
Please be adviced that nobody could say if 3-4months and a/b hours a day is enough for you. You yourself should asses your readiness and come to a conclusion. Remember that studying a subject one time but deeply concentrated and without stress is better than studying it so many times carelessly. So I suggest you finish the remaining 50% and write down or highlight the most important aspects. Besides you could start doing the released exams to have an idea of how the exam will be like. You could spend one hour a day on the released materials. Always keep in mind that you have the option of rescheduling your exam, so there is nothing to worry about. Do not hurry up for taking the exam.
Wish you success

@vdt2009:
Please be adviced that nobody could say if 3-4months and a/b hours a day is enough for you. You yourself should asses your readiness and come to a conclusion. Remember that studying a subject one time but deeply concentrated and without stress is better than studying it so many times carelessly. So I suggest you finish the remaining 50% and write down or highlight the most important aspects. Besides you could start doing the released exams to have an idea of how the exam will be like. You could spend one hour a day on the released materials. Always keep in mind that you have the option of rescheduling your exam, so there is nothing to worry about. Do not hurry up for taking the exam.
Wish you success
Thank u so much daverose... I must say ur suggestion is really helpful.

I and my friends all did.
Strongly recommend it
hello Friends, I took my exam in 1st week of December 2011 and just got my score

Composite score 85
Anyone who got more than 85, who gave exam in December????
Because i feel that exam standard has been increased.

Let me know ASAP

Thank u

Dental decks (1995, 2001, and 2007 editions)
First Aid USMLE Part I (Very helpful)
Old exams (although not many repeats on the real test)
Wikipedia/google/youtube
And more USMLE review books for each subject (for diagrams/pictures/tables/others)

would you tell me
1 what is the "Dental decks"?
2 what is the "First Aid USMLE Part I "?
3 could you send the "Old exams"to my email [email protected]?
4 what is the" Wikipedia"?
thanks!!

Dentdreamer: Thank you so much for your explanation, it makes sense to have the test scored with this method. I am so glad it is done this way! I see you are taking the test soon, well good luck and hope the rest of the process for your licensing goes smoothly.

Kind regards,

Mike

1 I have read NBED website ,the website ,after you passed the NBED ,you are practiced dentist,you neednot go to University ,right?
2 Another method is after you passed TOEFL Exam ,you will get offer by in university and study there?right?

Hey!gave my exam on 22nd december...got my scores yest...
composite 92
raw - anat - 85 bioc/physio- 81 mcro/path - 83 dentalanat - 90 total 339 (roughly 85%)

Thanks shehla.. It wud hav been gud if i wud hav touched the magical 9 figure:mad: but then had to give the exam coz of this pass-fail system wid watevr prep i cud hav cum wid.

All the best to u for ur score. If ur address is outside US then u shud wait a week more. Do update ur score. :)

Got my scores today its 87%
gpa 3.9

......................................................................................................................

Last edited:
For microbio/pathology, I used Decks,First Aid USMLE, and wikipedia. Making flashcards helped also.
During weekday, probably 3-4hr/day
During weekend, 7-8hrs/day
Now I am studying for GRE and it's more hidious...yuk

Congratulations:)

Why do u study GRE?!
i checked admission requirements of the Universities i never seen GRE requirement!
most required documents are
- NBDE 1 ... few universities require part 2 too
-TOFEL
-Some universities require recommendation letters
-some universities require interview
:xf::xf: for all

got my part 1 score today.scored 81 and i am very disappointed. Any clue friends what are chances if i start studies for part 2? I am an international dentist.My gpa 3.3

I was one of the folks just trying to pass. I studied for 3 weeks and used the Dental Decks and old released exams. I took the exam on the 30th.

First number is my raw score for each section, and the second number is the national mean for my cohort/exam.

Anatomy - 67 | 64.5
Biochem - 62 | 61.6
Micro - 62 | 66
Dental - 81 | 74.9

Composite - 80

Good luck to everyone!

I was one of the folks just trying to pass. I studied for 3 weeks and used the Dental Decks and old released exams. I took the exam on the 30th.

First number is my raw score for each section, and the second number is the national mean for my cohort/exam.

Anatomy - 67 | 64.5
Biochem - 62 | 61.6
Micro - 62 | 66
Dental - 81 | 74.9

Composite - 80

Good luck to everyone!
Hey mendedd what are you planning further? I scored 81 and I am very disappointed and lost all hopes. What are the options open ? my gpa is 3.3. Moreover pass/fail system is making me skeptical about my entry in any dental schools.

Hey mendedd what are you planning further? I scored 81 and I am very disappointed and lost all hopes. What are the options open ? my gpa is 3.3. Moreover pass/fail system is making me skeptical about my entry in any dental schools.
I think it is a totally different story for him; mostly he is a U.S. student..., so it doesn't mater for him to get a nice score if he don't care about residences or specialties...

For you try to think about DA test, because it is required in NY now, so try to get a nice score + any research experience (it may help)

Yes, the previous poster was correct. I am a current US dental student. I am sure I could have done better with more time, but at this point I have no strong desire to specialize. Yes, the book work is important, but my main goal is focusing on my clinical skills, providing top notch care, and getting out into the workforce so that I can spend more time with my family.

I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure the plethora of international students on here could give you better advice than I on the best way to proceed.

Got my scores yesterday..........I am ecstatic.........Got a 93..Yahoooooo.
Thanks to this forum which helped me be on track and prepare for the exam.

I think it is a totally different story for him; mostly he is a U.S. student..., so it doesn't mater for him to get a nice score if he don't care about residences or specialties...

For you try to think about DA test, because it is required in NY now, so try to get a nice score + any research experience (it may help)
Which DA test are you mentioning about mendedd? I have no clue about research work. How do I get in any university for research work being an international dentist? Will dental assistant-ship in private clinic in US help?

I took the test on Dec 31 th, and finally got my score on saturday.

comp: 81

Anatomy: 74
Bio/phys: 63
Micro/Pat: 70
Dental Anatomy: 72 (not happy about it):(

But I'm happy for the fact that I pass with more than 80. Please like I said before make sure you know your basic info, also practice as as many release exams you can, I did keep the score of all the release exams I took and my score is very close to what I got in the test, of course except for Dental anatomy!!
The other advice I want to give is please!!!!! dont get nervous during the test!! that happened to me and I'm sure I could have made a better score if I was'nt soo nervous!!
I was running out of time on the first half, soo for those that get as nervous as I do I will suggest to get the Crack NBDE because maybe that can help you with time management, or at least take some release in test time mode!!
and of course I want to thank everyone in the forum for your post and advice was very helpful for me, specially the mothers of toddlers like me, I took the test taking care of my home, my toddler and working part-time... if I did it you can!!!!

DAT= dental admission test --> it is actually for students plan to get in dental (freshmen).

Since there is no more scores; the NY dental schools requests this test as a requirement for international dentists for apply to ID program.
For research it is not easy to find a research assistant spot even a volunteer one, unless you know someone willing to help you..

Never give-up.......

Exam Date: 12/31/11

Comp Score: 96

Raw Score: 351
Anatomy: 90
Biochem/Physio: 84
Micro/Path: 84
DAO: 93

DAT= dental admission test --> it is actually for students plan to get in dental (freshmen).

Since there is no more scores; the NY dental schools requests this test as a requirement for international dentists for apply to ID program.
For research it is not easy to find a research assistant spot even a volunteer one, unless you know someone willing to help you..

Never give-up.......

If so can we apply for 2013 cycle with pass score nbde patr1 and without DAT score......please write clearly so we can clear our dilemma for 2012 test takers............thanking you!!!

If so can we apply for 2013 cycle with pass score nbde patr1 and without DAT score......please write clearly so we can clear our dilemma for 2012 test takers............thanking you!!!
I heard that DAT is requested by NY schools, but I have no idea about other schools...

Hi Everyone,
I have been following SDN for almost 6 months now since I was very nervous.
I gave my exam on 15th dec and not yet received my scores. Can anyone plz let me know if any of u received the results so late.??