NBDE-1 SCORES 2010-2011(Raw & Comp)above or below 75%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perfectionist1

"LIVE LIFE"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Please post your NBDE part-1 scores 2010 and 2011-Raw and composite.
Post it whether you pass or you fail,above 75%tile or below,
it doesnt matter...we always just get to see the toppers,lets see what % doesnt make it,just to get an overall idea and to know the competition.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

thanks holly j! i wanted more , but am relieved to get something decent.. it was a tough paper so i'm happy. . and ya i'v been religiously following SDN for a few months because i was so nervous :)

Hi Amreki: Congrats on your test score!!! I have a question though, you mention you have a 72 in Biochem/Path. I thought you had to score 75% and above on each part to pass, can you please explain? I am about to take the test on May 27th and aiming for for the highest grade but would like to be clear before I take it and so I can concentrate better on my weakest areas. Comments anybody??

Thank you guys!

Congratulations Amreki!!! Thats a great score, nothing to be sad about. I'm planning to give mine in July (Not even done with my first subject yet, so frustrating...) and believe me I would really like to have an 89 + :p Good luck with your universities applications, hope you can get into the school of your dreams. :) :)

@ Happy braces, Thanks for your reply, it's really encouraging since I only have a few hours to study at night, but with that great score you showed me that it's possible, I just have to try harder. :) :)

@ Mikeguzdds Before there was this rule that you needed at least a 75 to pass each part of the exam even if your comp score was over 75, or you would have to retake that single part of the test, but that's not valid anymore. If your comp score is over 75 you passed the test and wouldn't be allowed to retake any part of the test or the test itself. Hope this helps. Ps. I read it from some exam regulations on the ADA page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentdreamer: Thank you so much for your explanation, it makes sense to have the test scored with this method. I am so glad it is done this way! I see you are taking the test soon, well good luck and hope the rest of the process for your licensing goes smoothly.

Kind regards,

Mike

mikeguzdds you're welcome :)

Thanks for your kind words ;) I'm already nervous about the test, can't even imagine how you're feeling with just one more month before the test. Stay calm and revise as much as you can, wish you the best of lucks on this journey. Stay strong!!!

Ps. Don't forget to tell us your experience after the test.

Best regards and Lots of good vibe to you. :) :)

thanks alot for your kind words dentdreamer and mikeguzz! best of luck for your own exams :)

I appeared in June 2011 and got 83 percentile.can some one please tell me,shall I even apply with such a bad score?Are there any chances to get through???

Comp: 90
Overall: 332
Anat: 79
Bio/phys: 77
Micro/Path: 87
DA: 89

Good Luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
what do they mean by NATIONAL MEAN in part 1 score report

i believe it is the arithmetic mean (average) of all the scores of all the ppl that took the NBDE exam - so basically is the average of all the scores in each section

Hi everyone,
Just got my NBDE part 1 score

composite score - 92 [86,79,86,90].

Thankyou my friends for guiding me well and thankyou sdn :)

anyone know approximately the number to pass? do you think it's around 60/100 for each section for a total score of 240/400? it seems like everyone is getting over 85 and those who aren't are not posting. if you got in the lower 80s and just wanted to pass or know a friend with a similar score, i was wondering if you can share with the ppl who don't care and just want to pass. i want to do my best but i would like to know where the safety net approximately is. thank you so much!

I took part 1 on june and my score are Ana: 81, bioche/phy: 78, Micro/phtho: 85 ,DA 84
Raw score 328
Comp score 90:)

I took part 1 on june and my score are Ana: 81, bioche/phy: 78, Micro/phtho: 85 ,DA 84
Raw score 328
Comp score 90:)

Hi Drmeemei
Congrats for ur score..How long did it take for u to get ur result..i had taken on 6th of july..still waiting for my result..

it took exactly 3 weeks.I took my exam on 6th june and i got my score report on 27th june.
Best of luck! being human

I got my result after 18 days.
comp: 94 (85,85,86,93)

my main material: deck,ASDA papers, wiki
reference books

DA: Kaplan
Bio:lippincott
Physiology: BRS physiology
Micro: microbiology rediculously simple
Anatomy: Acland DVD

Last edited:
Judging from this thread you would think everybody did great on part 1. All these 90s and upper 80s. I guess part one was easy.
Maybe that was the purpose of this thread, to show off your score.

anyone know approximately the number to pass? do you think it's around 60/100 for each section for a total score of 240/400? it seems like everyone is getting over 85 and those who aren't are not posting. if you got in the lower 80s and just wanted to pass or know a friend with a similar score, i was wondering if you can share with the ppl who don't care and just want to pass. i want to do my best but i would like to know where the safety net approximately is. thank you so much!

Does your per section score matter as long as you pass overall? If you completely BOMB one section and do well enough on everything else, can you still pass?

Judging from this thread you would think everybody did great on part 1. All these 90s and upper 80s. I guess part one was easy.
Maybe that was the purpose of this thread, to show off your score.

I think the main thing here is that quite a few people using this forum are using it because they're very proactive about their schooling....as in, they probably put more time and effort into studying than the average person. Also, like another post said, sharing scores is only fun if you did really well...for example, people who got upper 70s are just thankful to pass and probably aren't interested in sharing with the world.

It's not like everyone that posts on here is actually telling the truth. Stating a fake score to discourage other people and their lower scores is the easy part.

I just don't understand this type of thought. Why do people want to lie about how they scored? I can understand only people who did well posting on the forum, but as far as people lying about their score to "discourage others", that just doesn't make sense.

Like another person pointed out, SDN is NOT a representative sample of people who took the DAT/NBDE, etc... because it's all the proactive/nerdy/geeky people like myself who are looking for a support group/community to discuss their scores, thoughts and opinions on everything dental related. No one is going to criticize you for posting a 76 score- you may not be proud of it, but it is nothing to be ashamed of at all. Passing is passing and you are still going to be a dentist at the end of the day. In fact, if someone criticized/degraded someone else for just getting a passing score, I would report the post to an admin. People with this attitude don't deserve to be in a professional community.

If you could kindly explain your reasons for believing people will lie all the time about their scores I would greatly appreciate it.

If you could kindly explain your reasons for believing people will lie all the time about their scores I would greatly appreciate it.

friend, if you are in dental school right now, then you should definitely be used to the mentality of some of your peers trying to eat the other person's bread! Some just can't help it, they've been brought up that way. I've gotten burned so many times that I learned my lesson not to trust what everyone says until I see some proof!

friend, if you are in dental school right now, then you should definitely be used to the mentality of some of your peers trying to eat the other person's bread! Some just can't help it, they've been brought up that way. I've gotten burned so many times that I learned my lesson not to trust what everyone says until I see some proof!

Well, I know that people in my school aren't like that. I don't know what New York is like, but it must be much different. Perhaps "southern hospitality" must come into the picture somewhere.

Well, I know that people in my school aren't like that. I don't know what New York is like, but it must be much different. Perhaps "southern hospitality" must come into the picture somewhere.

I'm sure you're right.

I got my scores today, after 18 days.
Comp: 95 (Anatomy 84, Biochem 92, Micro 82, DA 88)

I studied decks, Kaplan's review book, old tests, and wikipedia.

Great score chops.
Are you happy with the results? what were your expectations before you got the score report?

Last edited:
I got my scores today, after 18 days.
Comp: 95 (Anatomy 84, Biochem 92, Micro 82, DA 88)

I studied decks, Kaplan's review book, old tests, and wikipedia.

Congratulations!!! Awesome score!
But I seriously doubt the materials you listed....95 with just that??:eek:

Great score chops.
Are you happy with the results? what were your expectations before you got the score report?

I'm pretty happy, but not totally thrilled. I had about an 86 raw, which is almost exactly how I'd been doing on the practice tests, so my score was pretty much what I'd been expecting. I'm already in dental school and I'm not planning on specializing, so 95 is good enough!

Congratulations!!! Awesome score!
But I seriously doubt the materials you listed....95 with just that??:eek:

I can't remember using anything else. Well, except a quick review of my anatomy and micro lectures from first year. There ended up being only four or five questions on the test that addressed things I'd never heard of; I think my sources covered pretty much everything you need to know, as long as you try to get every bit of information they have. Plus, I studied for a really long time.

I've heard anywhere from 200 to 230 can be failing. I do know of someone who scored in the mid 40's on Anatomy and still passed though.

@Chops: Still....maybe you belong to the "born genius" category!:D
Nonetheless...:bow: for the great score!!!
Any tips for us?

DA 89
Anatomic sciences 85
Micro/Path 81
Biochem/Phys 80

Comp Score 92

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. It was very helpful. If interested, here is what I used to study. I studied for 6 weeks, everyday, for about 8-9 hours.

I studied all the sections of dental decks once (I had both 2006 and 2010, I liked the format of the 2010 more and the pictures that went along with the questions were in color and much better than 2006 version). Liked decks a lot.

DA-Know old exams! I had lots of repeats in this section. I really liked Dr. Okesons book for this section as well (first 6 chapters) for the dental occlusion and anatomical sciences sections. Decks were great for this section as well.

Anatomical Sciences: Used class notes and decks.

Micro/Path: Class notes, Decks, and Board Busters (really liked board busters! very clear and concise).

Biochem/Phys: Kaplan Lecture Notes-very helpful for these sections. Know Kaplan Lecture Notes biochem section perfectly. Decks. NBDE Board Busters book.

I went through exams I-D through I-N. Know the old exams! I used "Kaplan Explanations" which covers 4 of the released exams. Kaplan explanations were super helpful and I highly recommend getting to complement the exams. Saved time from looking everything up (although I did use wikipedia frequently) and gave detailed explanations to right and wrong answers

NBDE Board Busters was also awesome! I wouldn't recommend using as a primary study guide, but was very useful to review right before the exam because it is very to the point and seemed to cover all the essentials. Very well written and easy to read. Also, highly recommend this book.

There were questions on the exam that were out of left field, but for the most part, I felt like I had seen most of the topics from the above material and old exams. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Any tips for us?

I don't think I have any advice that's particularly original. Highlighting the decks, although it takes a while the first time, saved me a lot of time when I was reviewing, because there's so much information on those cards. Old tests are definitely helpful (although I didn't go back past the late 80's), and I'd say it's definitely a good idea to review the questions you got wrong and figure out why, because there were several questions which weren't quite repeats but variations on questions that had previously been asked.

Hi! I hear ya... Just got my scores... 86!! During the last days of my preparation my scores in the practice exams were almost above 95% always.. but on the test day the exam was soo alien .. I didn't even know if I will pass.

Hi everybody
I've just got my score and I feel really bad about it. mine are (71,70,74,88) , and the standard is 85!!:(
studied about one year, 6hrs/day... My percentages of the old exams which I had taken before the test date were excellent (all lessons above 85 and DA 95) and I expected to make it perfect, but on the test date I felt it was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EXAM from all other exams I ever seen.
I wonder if anyone recently taken the exam feels like me?? Does anybody think it has been harder recently?
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Exam given July 27th 2011

Comp Score - 84
Anat - 69
Bio/Phy - 67
Micro/Patho - 80
Dent - 82
298/400

What do you think guys? Am I able to make it?

Thanks

I have the same concern as well... does anyone who's taken the exam know? Thanks!

I have the same concern as well... does anyone who's taken the exam know? Thanks!

It varies from exam to exam. I do believe though that the amount of "curve" that you get from exam to exam changes. For example, my exam had a 9 point curve from the percentage that I got correct. So if i would have gotten 81 percent correct (324) I would have gotten a 90. For my exam, I would have needed to get 264/400= 66% correct to pass (b/c 66+9=75). Another friend got a 6 point curve, so he would have needed 69%= 276/400 to pass.

This is of course assuming that the curve stays the same from higher to lower scores. What the curve is based on is somewhat mysterious. We took the exam the same day and he got a 6 point curve and I got a 9 point curve. I think it is based on the number of "cut" questions most likely, but I'm not really sure.

I know of people that have gotten 19 and 20 point curves this testing cycle, so there is great variation in what is needed to pass.

I know of people that have gotten 19 and 20 point curves this testing cycle, so there is great variation in what is needed to pass.

Yeah, i just talked with another friend who said he knew some people got 14-15 point curves. These must be at the lower end of the score spectrum, which is fine if you ask me because they need that to pass. I guess it does vary greatly depending on your score. Not many people post who got a 75-80, but it would be nice if they did just to give everyone an idea of what the numbers are you need to get to pass. As far as I'm concerned, a pass is a pass (and apparently the ADA feels that way too!), so any score above 75 is acceptable knowledge required of a dentist.