NAVY TMS/FAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
go to facebook, chose the page of your favorite naval hospital, make an Active duty friend.... ask him that question....

Very helpful. I think some of us are on these forums for the very reason of learning from those that are out there and more experienced, that also happen to be willing to spend some time mentoring those of us that are going to be in the system a while. I can't imagine going out and finding another random attending is going to yield much more glowing of a review.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
awwwww.... I'm sorry, you got hurt by a recruiter a one point? got denied? he lied to you?
not everyone is like that.... I don't get mind f***ed

Very helpful. I think some of us are on these forums for the very reason of learning from those that are out there and more experienced, that also happen to be willing to spend some time mentoring those of us that are going to be in the system a while. I can't imagine going out and finding another random attending is going to yield much more glowing of a review.
I have no problem finding people who want answers... answers..... he doesn't want answers, he wants to play mind games, and wants to waste my time... not happening

google NAVY Program authorization 130B and read it.
ask your friendly NC or read your most recent NAVADMIN
go to facebook, chose the page of your favorite naval hospital, make an Active duty friend.... ask him that question
OTHER QUESTIONS?

Well, yes, but clearly you aren't able to answer them.

Even by recruiter standards, you've got some professionalism problems.

we like to keep our doctors dumb... no more education, get your butt to work....
Aren't you here to recruit?

Look, I think you're an idiot but I'll try to offer some constructive criticism instead of the usual snark I reserve for so-called professionals pulling this kind of lemonade stand crap.

You started this thread LAST YEAR offering help and information, then disappeared for 6 months. That doesn't exactly lead potential recruits to think highly of you, or the military.

What you should have done is pulled up 130B and quoted the relevant parts of it, with further explanation or reference if needed.

What you should have done is pulled up the NAVADMIN and done the same.

What you should not do is throw out "get your butt to work" comments.

If you were selling Hondas, would you tell a customer on the lot to check out honda.com, or to go find someone driving a car with an H on it and ask him about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well, yes, but clearly you aren't able to answer them.

Even by recruiter standards, you've got some professionalism problems.

Aren't you here to recruit?

Look, I think you're an idiot but I'll try to offer some constructive criticism instead of the usual snark I reserve for so-called professionals pulling this kind of lemonade stand crap.

You started this thread LAST YEAR offering help and information, then disappeared for 6 months. That doesn't exactly lead potential recruits to think highly of you, or the military.

What you should have done is pulled up 130B and quoted the relevant parts of it, with further explanation or reference if needed.

What you should have done is pulled up the NAVADMIN and done the same.

What you should not do is throw out "get your butt to work" comments.

If you were selling Hondas, would you tell a customer on the lot to check out honda.com, or to go find someone driving a car with an H on it and ask him about it?

THIS IS NOT A RECRUITING EFFORT!
Trust me, I'm professional and very easy to get along.
we might even like each other in real life gentlemen... the issue remains, that you have a stereotype about recruiters and some of you can't see past that... whatever the issue was leave it in the past.
I'll come back in another year and reply again... have a great day gentlemen.

THIS IS NOT A RECRUITING EFFORT!
Perhaps not now, but it was:
Well hello everyone, this is my first post... I feel special!:clap:

I just wanted to see if there was anything out here covering NAVY TMS or FAP... and it seems that there is very little. I would like to maybe get a thread going and answer some of your questions regarding these two topics offered to RESIDENTS.

let me know!
You came here to inform and recruit residents to FAP, and registered with a name that identified you as a representative of the Navy. Nothing wrong with that.

Good luck with your recruiting duty, and thank you for your service.

Well hello everyone, this is my first post... I feel special!:clap:

I just wanted to see if there was anything out here covering NAVY TMS or FAP... and it seems that there is very little. I would like to maybe get a thread going and answer some of your questions regarding these two topics offered to RESIDENTS.

let me know!

Do you know if there are any FAP left for this Fiscal year for the Navy? Thanks

Seems alot of questions were answered here. but I looked up that form 130B (?) and maybe something stating that this is responsibility of ASD (HA).. Asst Sec.Def.HealthAffairs..
Is that true? Is there more on their website? I would like to do some research on this before talking to a recruiter if that seems fair? I had the worst Boston recruiter for HPSP.. she couldn't say anything without sounding dishonest (so I never believed her!) whereas the PA recruiter was really good, but by the rules I had to deal with the Boston office... they were terrible.. I didn't do it..

-- update --

.... so I scroll ed down on the wiki page https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistant_Secretary_of_Defense_for_Health_Affairs to where it says "Past Asst. Secretaries" and along with that table and the job description I certainly have a clearer idea of what this is... thank you for your service

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just an observation, but this position looks comparable to a Chief Operating Officer..?

Thinking of going FAP as an oral and maxillofacial surgery resident. Any suggestions? pro vs con? Also any ideas on if you qualify for an accession bonus or specialty pay after completion of residency?

now TMS...

TMS is a Navy Reserve (SELRES DCO) program designed to provide financial and other incentives for professionals while in select Medical and Dental residency and fellowship programs. (Anesthesiology, General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, and Oral Maxillofacial Surgery).

Benefits:

· Direct Commission Officer Select Reserves (SELRES)status while attending Residency or Fellowship program for which selected.

· Receive all pay and allowances as a regular drilling Reservists.

· A Comprehensive health-care benefits package.

· Time in this program counts towards retirement.

· Eligible to receive a monthly stipend of $2,178.90 monthly while in the program.

· Eligible to receive $50,000 in student loan repayment (paid in three installments (20K, 20K, 10K) beginning while in training.

· Example: A Doctor who is a full categorical match into residency program eligible for TMS, Stipend and Loan Repayment can expect to receive at minimum (based on number of years in the residency program:

YEARS MINIMUM INCENTIVE AMOUNT

3 $130,000

4 $155,000

5 $180,000

6 $206,000

7 $233,000

Eligibility Requirements:

· Citizenship - Must be a U.S. Citizen.

· Age - ideally training completed by age 42. All others will be considered on a case by case basis.

· Education - Must be a full categorical MATCH into an accredited residency or fellowship program eligible for TMS.

Service Obligation:

· TMS: 3 year obligation

· TMS + monthly stipend: 1 year for every 6 months stipend is received; minimum 3 years.

· TMS + Stipend + Loan Repayment: 1 year for every 6 months stipend is received; minimum 3 years; loan repayment is paid after each good year (time in training are good years)

HOPE IT HELPS..

I realize the Navy Recruiter may have left this forum because of all the "remarks" against recruiters, but this seems like a legit program and I have questions (considering HPSP, FAP and now TMS)

1) student loan repayment: is it one time payment of $50,000 or is it paid yearly? (loan repayment is paid after each good year (time in training are good years)

2) Minimum Incentive Pay: Is this a one time payment?

3) If I'm correct anesthesia is a 4 year residency (1 year PGY1) so you would complete 3 years under TMS so would need to give Navy Reserves 6 years?

Thank you in advance

I recently made the switch from TMS to FAP actually and realized it's a MUCH better deal. I did TMS for a year and just contacted the right people and made the switch to FAP while I am still in residency. BEST DECISION I MADE! While in residency and maybe even to a degree after residency TMS/SELRES can make your life just more complicated. In my opinion actually things are much easier to do and easier managed once someone has gone active duty after a while because you're more familiar with navigating the system.

ESPECIALLY after I spoke to an anesthesiologist and a few other people in OMFS who told me their SELRES story, they all equally felt they wish they had gone active duty FAP for 3-4 years.

Biggest thing I realized is stable secure income, working great hours, social rapport, building your resume, and given the fact you're going to do this for maybe just a few years and get the benefits might as well go FAP instead of TMS.

To answer question #3 I would say it depends on your year. email me if you want and I'll send you the power point I have and the info for my friend who's the Navy recruiter(she's actually a nurse) who can give you the specifics since most other recruiters will just try to sell you information without giving you the whole story.

I realize the Navy Recruiter may have left this forum because of all the "remarks" against recruiters, but this seems like a legit program and I have questions (considering HPSP, FAP and now TMS)

1) student loan repayment: is it one time payment of $50,000 or is it paid yearly? (loan repayment is paid after each good year (time in training are good years)

2) Minimum Incentive Pay: Is this a one time payment?

3) If I'm correct anesthesia is a 4 year residency (1 year PGY1) so you would complete 3 years under TMS so would need to give Navy Reserves 6 years?

Thank you in advance

Hi.

1) The Loan Repayment option is annual payments of $40,000, up to $250,000. If you take the Loan repayment, you must also take the stipend.
2) I believe the minimum incentive pay you are referring to is the stipend. The stipend ammount has been increased to $2,330.79 for Fiscal Year 19 (starting October 2018).

If you take either of the two above options, you are correct. If you do 3 years on the program, you will serve a minimum of 6 years in the reserves. For these two options you incur 1 year of service for every 6 months you are receiving benifits. But if you only decide to take TMS (no stipend or loan repayment) you will only incur a minimum of 3 years of service required.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user