Navy Navy Prosthodontics Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golfballer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still early on in my program but I'm exploring the various specialties through shadowing and assisting. I am LOVING everything related to prosth so far so I plan on getting involved in prosth research this summer. There is a plethora of info on SDN with respect to other residencies offered through the Navy, but I don't see much discussion about the prosth residency. Does anybody have any insight they would like to share about this program?

I noticed that 1 or 2 ENS's are selected each year to start training right out of school. From what I have seen, it seems like a great specialty to practice in the Navy and leaves you in a good position if you choose to continue serving or transition to private practice or academia. So, why so few applicants? And what can I do over the next 1.5 years to build a strong application in case I decide to apply to the program? In the event that I decide not to apply, then I feel like a strong application for prosth is also a strong application for the various general dentistry residencies.

I appreciate any feedback.

Golfballer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
It's great that you are motivated early on. First let me say that Prost is protected right now as they have implemented a 6 year retention bonus unlike other specialties such as Endo, Perio, Ortho, and even GenDen where they cut their 4 year bonuses to 3 year. So the future is bright in that regard. Secondly, Prost seem to somehow obtain a lot of the leadership spots so by the time you become AD they will probably be running the Navy :scared:... but, good for you.
Obviously, keep your grades up. If you choose to apply, your application will be lacking a military component (i.e. fitreps) and can only be dependent on academics so you will be competing against officers that have "done their time" and worked closely with the Prost community with strong LORs. It really comes down to who you know. I would recommend trying to visit Bethesda and meet the speciality leader or reach out to him (I will attach the most recent instruction with his info and the basic application process to DUINS). He would be the best person to ask for advice, though will not be there when you apply most likely.

FISCAL YEAR 2022 DENTAL RESIDENCY TRAINING AND POSTDOCTORAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users