Navy/DoD Physical Medicine & Rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthwonk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, now in my second D.O. year, the quest to narrow down career choices continues. :laugh: I am Navy HPSP, and am curious if anyone out there in uniform has completed a PM&R residency. I know the National Capital Consortium has about 7 slots in their GME program, but I'm curious as to how much the Navy wants/needs physiatrists, i.e. what are the chances of granting a FTOS for a civilian PM&R residency. On the flip side, has anyone in the forum gone through the NCC residency for PM&R? I appreciate any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

First: just a pet peeve, but please don't change the font, hurts the eyes :)

Okay, currently PM&R isn't a great option in the Navy. There have been very, very few selections in that field over the last several years (I think there was one last year). Although you are correct that Walter Reed has a program it has been many moons since a Navy resident was there.

Now, the good news: Rumor/News is that the Navy is looking to expand PM&R in the coming years. I know of a very experienced PM&R doc who was brought in as a flight surgeon recently and there is the potential that he may be one of the champions for Navy PM&R when his flight surgery tour is complete. This is pure speculation at this point though.

As a 2nd year there is still time, keep PM&R in your mind, but try to find something else that you might be happy doing as well. Or, you can do your four years pay back and get out and do PM&R.

Have there been any updates to this information in the past three years?

I am also currently a second year D.O. student interested in PM&R, but due to special circumstances I have an 8 year contract, so the idea of an 8 year GMO followed by a civillian PM&R residency doesn't sound too pleasant.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am also currently a second year D.O. student interested in PM&R, but due to special circumstances I have an 8 year contract, so the idea of an 8 year GMO followed by a civillian PM&R residency doesn't sound too pleasant.

Definitely NOT the best person to ask, but the last few years I have seen at least 1-2 selections/alternates on the GME list each year. Ill try to find last years list to give you and exact number, but its rare and probably difficult to match--especially out of internship. 5 years ago when I was looking into this I was told "hell no," and didn't even apply, but one was selected that year.

I think the Army does train more, but that's only heresay.

Why would you have to do 8 years as a GMO? If you are not selected to go straight through from internship, you can still apply for residency for after the time your first GMO tour is up (on some occasions that can be a little more than a year, though that is atypical from what I understand). When you complete your residency, the ADSO from residency will run concurrently with the remainder of your medical school (or med school + ROTC) ADSO.

Curious: is your contract an 8 year active duty service obligation from ROTC+HPSP or are you referring to the ADSO+IRR (every non-prior service person has an 8 year commitment with AD+IRR time)?

PM&R is overmanned and not particularly well supported. The manning plan suggests we will be training some as full time outservice in the next few years, but that is always subject to change and with the wars winding down, less likely.

If you truly have an 8 year comittment, I would suggest considering an Internal Medicine residency and you could do a second residency after your comittment was over. This would make you highly marketable.

Why would you have to do 8 years as a GMO? If you are not selected to go straight through from internship, you can still apply for residency for after the time your first GMO tour is up (on some occasions that can be a little more than a year, though that is atypical from what I understand). When you complete your residency, the ADSO from residency will run concurrently with the remainder of your medical school (or med school + ROTC) ADSO.

Curious: is your contract an 8 year active duty service obligation from ROTC+HPSP or are you referring to the ADSO+IRR (every non-prior service person has an 8 year commitment with AD+IRR time)?
Yeah, I'm NROTC--> HPSP. I'm planning on doing a GMO tour anyway (that's why I joined the military in the first place).

Thanks for the advice.

So, now in my second D.O. year, the quest to narrow down career choices continues. :laugh: I am Navy HPSP, and am curious if anyone out there in uniform has completed a PM&R residency. I know the National Capital Consortium has about 7 slots in their GME program, but I'm curious as to how much the Navy wants/needs physiatrists, i.e. what are the chances of granting a FTOS for a civilian PM&R residency. On the flip side, has anyone in the forum gone through the NCC residency for PM&R? I appreciate any thoughts!

A friend of mine just started a FTOS PMR residency following a GMO tour. He was the first in a very long time to get selected for such a residency.

The Walter Reed program is pretty much Army only.

I spoke to an advisor who mentioned doing a Navy Neurology residency followed by a "fellowship in PM&R" once I part ways with the Navy. Does anyone know if this is realistic? Would I be qualified to do rehab procedures (i.g. US-guided injections)?

I spoke to an advisor who mentioned doing a Navy Neurology residency followed by a "fellowship in PM&R" once I part ways with the Navy. Does anyone know if this is realistic? Would I be qualified to do rehab procedures (i.g. US-guided injections)?

There is no such thing as a PM&R fellowship. BC/BE Neurologist can apply for PM&R related fellowships, like TBI, Neuromuscular/EMG, and Pain. As far as U/S guided injections anyone with the skills can do those irregardless of specialty. There are course you can take to learn the skills.

PM me...we'll have a nice chat.

Reactions: 1 user