Navy/Army/Air Force Eligibility with Asthma.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeyguy1771

Reaction score
FYI to people wanting to work in the military post-dental school. If you have asthma (like me), you are more then likely not going to be able to. I spoke to a recruiter on the phone and he said I may be able to get it waived after telling them I played NCAA hockey and that my asthma is mild, so there is still hope. If anyone has experienced anything like this and has advice, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

FYI to people wanting to work in the military post-dental school. If you have asthma (like me), you are more then likely not going to be able to. I spoke to a recruiter on the phone and he said I may be able to get it waived after telling them I played NCAA hockey and that my asthma is mild, so there is still hope. If anyone has experienced anything like this and has advice, please let me know!

From personal experience, it's not over until the surgeon general (for the AF) or waiver authority for the other branches denies you a waiver.
Even if MEPS denies you, keep appealing to the waiver authority - get precisely worded doctors' notes and try. Waivers do exist and they are given out.

It helps if you have a recruiter committed to helping you - which it sounds like your recruiter is.

Source: MEPS disqualified me. I appealed. Went to several medical consults/docs for letters (took 6 months of back and forth and discouraging news). Ultimately the waiver authorities of both branches I applied to granted me waivers, and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Phrasing for retention is that you can have a profile to need access to an inhaler......but you aren’t allowed to have any performance limitations

Reactions: 1 user