Email picture of social security and birth certificate for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothmountain194

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been working with an HPSP recruiter and today they asked me to send a picture of my social security card and birth certificate for my security clearance since I am currently living 14 hours from the town where my recruiter is and cannot go in person to have them scanned. I trust them, but it scares me to send pictures of these over email. Is this a normal thing to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I trust them
You trust the government to keep your information safe? Might want to rethink that one...

Imagine being undercover for the CIA and the government’s own incompetence and ineptitude blows your cover.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I have been working with an HPSP recruiter and today they asked me to send a picture of my social security card and birth certificate for my security clearance since I am currently living 14 hours from the town where my recruiter is and cannot go in person to have them scanned. I trust them, but it scares me to send pictures of these over email. Is this a normal thing to do?
No. I hope the recruiter knows about how you can send this information properly encrypted. There should be a better way to upload those items into a secure file server.

Military loses data on people, what's new?

Big Hoss ain't wrong. When I was stationed in Okitraz, the Marine Corps on the base I worked at lost PII (including Social Security numbers) of so, so many service members, including mine. Was totally preventable, too. But if I'm being honest, it wasn't a surprise.

I even worked alongside a civilian nurse who said she initially wanted to commission, but decided against it when her recruiter's office apparently lost her entire package. She didn't have the drive to start over.

Find a way to securely send that info, but don't send it through an unencrypted email. Just my humble opinion.