Navy AEGD locations-which place is good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockerDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about the different Navy AEGD locations? I am filling out the application right now and I am trying to figure out what program is good. I honestly don't care where I go (I am single and don't need to worry about being close to family or anything). I heard Norfolk, VA is the hardest of the AEGD programs and Bethesda is really easy and almost considered a joke. Anyone else have any insight? Or are you just picking locations based on where you would like to live? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

as a graduate of the AEGD in Norfolk, I can say that it was time well spent. all the Navy's PGY-1 programs are ADA accredited, so they meet a certain set of criteria. i dont know if Bethesda still has an any PGY-1 programs - i know it was hard for those one year resident to compete with all the other residency programs for cases. overall, you ought to think about where you want to live and what sort of follow-on orders you might want.

if are gonna spend several years with the Marines, maybe you might want to take a program that is near more 'blue' Navy assets for variety's sake. or you could do the reverse... be mindful of that the needs of the Navy come first and your detailer might not be too keen to move you after residency if he can slot you into orders without moving you.