NAVLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who failed NAVLE 3 times, do they have to wait a year to take it again? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Testing periods occur from November-December, and then again in April/May. You just wait and take it till the next testing period.

Members don't see this ad :)
"ICVA has recommended to licensing boards that candidates not be approved to take the NAVLE more than five times, and that they not be allowed to sit for the examination at a date that is later than five years after their initial attempt. Each of the final two attempts must be at least one year from the previous attempt."
This sounds like they might have to wait a year from their last attempt since they've already failed it 3 times. I would recommend they call ICVA for clarification.

Reactions: 1 users
Much love to your friend. There is a Facebook group for people who need to retake and have support from one another started by someone at my school several years ago. If they aren't already in that group, I can ask around to see how they can be added. Everyone I know who joined that group found it remarkably helpful

On top of what was said above there can sometimes be additional requirements after you fail a certain number of times so your friend should look into that as well.

In Canada if you fail the NAVLE twice you need to take and pass the CPE (a practical skills test required for foreign trained veterinarians) as well at the NAVLE before you can get your veterinary license.

My hugs and best wishes to your friend, it’s a crappy situation to be in and I feel for them.

Much love to your friend. There is a Facebook group for people who need to retake and have support from one another started by someone at my school several years ago. If they aren't already in that group, I can ask around to see how they can be added. Everyone I know who joined that group found it remarkably helpful
Please find out if you can so I can pass it on.

Reactions: 1 user

In the article is contact information for the man that started the support group.

Also would like to add that there is Vets4Vets on VIN, which is a free support group

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
"ICVA has recommended to licensing boards that candidates not be approved to take the NAVLE more than five times, and that they not be allowed to sit for the examination at a date that is later than five years after their initial attempt. Each of the final two attempts must be at least one year from the previous attempt."
This sounds like they might have to wait a year from their last attempt since they've already failed it 3 times. I would recommend they call ICVA for clarification.
I guess this is state dependent according to my friend.