NAVLE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vetstudent10101

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but I’m wondering how NAVLE score impacts chances for residencies. Is the NAVLE essentially pass/fail or do residencies look at your actual score and the higher the better?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure where to post this but I’m wondering how NAVLE score impacts chances for residencies. Is the NAVLE essentially pass/fail or do residencies look at your actual score and the higher the better?
It doesn’t matter. Many residencies don’t even require you to take the NAVLE prior to applying.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s essentially pass fail. Residencies don’t care about NAVLE as long as you pass, they care about your GPA, class rank, and letters of recommendation. I don’t even know what my score was aside from passing, although I do know most people get score reports that show performance in certain areas.

With that said, if you’re applying to vet schools, you should have at least give a school’s pass rate a brief thought. I’m it saying it should be a huge factor but do think about it. This is a test that is really designed for 99% of people to pass. If a school has a trend lower than others you should ask yourself/them why and see what they’re doing to fix that...It would be horrible to spend 4 years and often $200,000+ only to not pass the test and get a license. There is a big difference between 1% of students failing (which may be 1-2 students) and 8-15% (which could be up to like 20 or even more students based on class size).

Reactions: 2 users
Nobody will ever know your NAVLE score except for you and anyone you choose to tell. Residency programs don't care.

Reactions: 1 users