Natural Hair and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoNotYouLionel

Dancing on the ceiling.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's already a thread on this page about males with braids, but I didn't want to hijack it because I feel like that's an entirely different issue.

So...my hair type is like Tia and Tamera's from the early days of Sister Sister, although I can usually get my curls more defined than that. I do straighten my hair, but I often don't feel like it or have time to because it takes around 3 hours. +pity+

Now, I don't have an interview yet, but in the event that I'm lucky enough to get a couple, I want to know what I should do about my hair. Do you think that adcoms' opinions of an applicant will be negatively affected if said applicant has natural hair? I ask this because I do know some people that think black or mixed females are being lazy or look messy if their hair isn't straightened ( I don't agree with this, btw). There are already so many ways to mess up an interview; I don't want them to assume I'm not put together.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know there's already a thread on this page about males with braids, but I didn't want to hijack it because I feel like that's an entirely different issue.

So...my hair type is like Tia and Tamera's from the early days of Sister Sister, although I can usually get my curls more defined than that. I do straighten my hair, but I often don't feel like it or have time to because it takes around 3 hours. +pity+

Now, I don't have an interview yet, but in the event that I'm lucky enough to get a couple, I want to know what I should do about my hair. Do you think that adcoms' opinions of an applicant will be negatively affected if said applicant has natural hair? I ask this because I do know some people that think black or mixed females are being lazy or look messy if their hair isn't straightened ( I don't agree with this, btw). There are already so many ways to mess up an interview; I don't want them to assume I'm not put together.

I would have to disagree with the bold statement, if your hair is style neatly in its natural state, then people won't assume you are lazy.
I also have natural hair. My hair is more kinky with tighter curls, and I frequently wear it in an afro , which is considered a style.
Is your hair long enough to put in a pony tail? If so, try styling it in a nice bun for an interview. Even if my hair is straightened ,I wouldn't wear it loose for an interview, it may become a distraction(i.e. frizzing up that day) . If a bun doesn't work for you, try pinning it up in a french row.
If you are looking for more ideas , try the natural hair channels on youtube, or visit a natural hair forum. Good luck with any future interviews!:luck:

Can I just say I'm so glad someone started this thread! I have been thinking about the same thing! My hair sounds alot like yours. It can be curly and big or I can flat iron it and make it straight. My other, very random problem is this...

People generally have a hard time placing me racially, especially when my hair is straight. Alot of people think I'm Indian. But, in this case, I really don't want the admissions people to think that because Indians are so overrepresented in Medicine where as african-americans are not. So, I want them to know that I'm black, which my hair is likely show. BUT I dont' want to look "messy" or "crazy" or the other things you mentioned.

I know this is random and maybe I'm over thinking it, but any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to disagree with the bold statement, if your hair is style neatly in its natural state, then people won't assume you are lazy.

Unfortunately, that statement wasn't conjecture; I have actually heard people say these types of things even about well-styled hair. I think there's a bit of a cultural bias against curly hair.

Is your hair long enough to put in a pony tail? If so, try styling it in a nice bun for an interview. Even if my hair is straightened ,I wouldn't wear it loose for an interview, it may become a distraction(i.e. frizzing up that day) . If a bun doesn't work for you, try pinning it up in a french row.

I've tried the no-sulfate, no-silicone thing and that works well. It's not frizziness so much as general "bigness" that's the problem. I guess I'll try out different ways of pulling it back to see what looks good; thanks!

It's not frizziness so much as general "bigness" that's the problem.

LOL at this, I know how you feel. I think after posting on this, flat ironing and pulling it back into a ponytail or bun is the way to go. It's very unfortunate that we have to hid our hair this way but this certainly won't be the first bit of discrimination we'll face along the way.

I suppose sometimes you have to play the game. But when we're big time docs ladies, we can change things ;)

Reactions: 1 users
About half of the black women in my class are natural and I believe the majority of us interviewed with our hair pulled back into a neat bun. We tend to wear our hair liike that also when we round in the hospital although I'll occasionally wear two-strand twists that are pulled back with a headband. As long as your hair is neat and not falling all over your face you should be fine. Good Luck!!:thumbup:

Did you feel like they were uncomfortable with it or expected you to look "different? ?

What about us naturals that are in between short and long, like 4-6 inches of 4b hair? Do you think an Afro is too liberal? At this point, I think I am just going to wig it.

What about us naturals that are in between short and long, like 4-6 inches of 4b hair? Do you think an Afro is too liberal? At this point, I think I am just going to wig it.

I would not go the wig route. They rarely look natural. And honestly sometimes I feel like we freak out over our hair more than white people do. I don't want this to sound bad, but sometimes wigs make women look kinda tacky whereas they look very nice and professional with their natural hair. I would just go get your hair done, make it nice and moisturized and neat. I highly doubt they won't let you in because of you have a little fro.

I would not go the wig route. They rarely look natural. And honestly sometimes I feel like we freak out over our hair more than white people do. I don't want this to sound bad, but sometimes wigs make women look kinda tacky whereas they look very nice and professional with their natural hair. I would just go get your hair done, make it nice and moisturized and neat. I highly doubt they won't let you in because of you have a little fro.

Hey ladies, I dont post a lot but just wanted to chime in on this....I'd have to disagree on the above comment. when I was transitioning (even though I have since reverted back to the "creamy crack":oops:) I was able to find half wigs,3/4 wigs and sew-ins that matched my texture (4a>>3c) pretty well, and received many complements and people thought it was my real hair. I am a DIYer so I placed my tracks to where I could pull it back in a cute bun ...I have also seen women on various haircare forums with 4b-4z hair match their sew-ins/wigs, etc...pretty well. As someone mentioned before research some haircare forums/youtube videos and search "transitioning styles" and I am sure you will find a good deal of information....just my .02 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi ladies,

I am NO where near the interview process yet, but thought I would chime in. I have been natural since Feb 2003. I decided to go natural in graduate school. For interviews or events I feel require "professionalism" I either set my hair or wear it in a bun. I just started pre-med classes and for the past 2 weeks I've worn it as a roller set.

Back in the 90's in undergrad, I wanted to go natural, but felt I would be discriminated against while job searching. I told myself when I went to graduate school I would go natural because then, my experience and intelligence would speak for itself and no one could judge me for my looks.

I've been in a professional setting for almost 10 years and wear natural hair. But still during big events I set my hair just because I know the society I live in.

When I go on interviews, hopefully in the next 2 years, I will set it as well.

This was me when I interviewed 3-4 years ago (time tends to blur together these days). I have not straightened my hair in 8 years? (again, time blur) and did not straighten for interviews. I put my hair in medium-large twists, about 8-12 in total. I then used bobby pins to collect them into a bun type style. I can PM you some pictures. I have pics of a similar style in a very neglected fotki album. I also have a neglected youtube hair channel. I can make a tutorial for this style and some of my other professional looks for you if you're interested.

For everyone: Please don't wear a wig if you don't normally wear wigs. You need to feel confident and comfortable on your interview day. It will be harder to do this if you don't normally wear a wig and you're concerned that you look wig-y.

When in doubt, wear a bun. :cool:

Last edited:
Ive been working in an allied health field for years and initially I always wore my hair straight but then I thought, no. I need to be me. So I started getting cornrows (especially when it was hot and humid) and wearing two strand twist, twist/braid outs, and eventually even two strand twist to dreads. then I cut them off and started over with the occassional press and curl, then twist/braid/natural. Im on a dread kick again so thats what I will do.

Any hair can look nice for an interview process. Im far far out from that, but i plant on still having my dreads and they will be longer by then, so a full or partial bun with some curls hanging in back and a cute clip.

I think its more about the CONFIDENCE you rock than the hair. Cause I wouldnt hesitate to walk in there with a fro :) ok ok just kidding.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wear your natural hair. I wore my hair straight because my interviews for pharmacy school were in the winter time.

As for the bolded, I have never heard this before.

I'm transitioning to natural and after wearing weave and afro kinky twists with extensions (which I loved but would hesitate before doing that style again) for several months, I just starting rocking a twa. I don't want to use heat in my hair as I did for my past few interviews and am thinking about having a cute afro to my upcoming interview; however, I am still figuring out a style that works for me and lasts the entire day without me having to constantly check my hair. I checked on youtube for some ideas but am still looking for something that will suit me. I may have to opt with a sew in instead but we'll see.
At the end of the day, like someone else mentioned, would you want to go to a program where they will judge you based on you embracing your God given locks? We'll deal with our fair share of racism at every level in our career, but that shouldn't stop of us from loving ourselves and being proud of who we are. We can and will succeed! I'm a little fired up now, lol. Best of luck to all of you!

I think we are all overthinking this natural hair issue. I rocked an afro (4inches at least) to all 8 of my interviews and the results: 4 acceptances, 2 waitlists and 2 rejections, not shabby at all (IMO).

I was worried at first and I listened to the previous post that said "wear the hair that you are most comfortable in" and besides you don't want to go to school who will reject you for wearing your hair in its natural state, the way God created it.

health care is so much important as we can not get it avoid this

I plan to rock an afro till the day I die.

Braids are cool.

And I doubt very much the committees are going to be like "she's a good candidate, and seems to have her heart in the right place...but what the hell is up with that hair?"

And I doubt very much the committees are going to be like "she's a good candidate, and seems to have her heart in the right place...but what the hell is up with that hair?"

I definitely agree with this. As someone who is pretty much as white as you can get without being transparent, it seems to me that nobody much cares about the natural hair debate outside of the black community. Many of the black woman medical students have natural hair. Most of them keep it in a ponytail or something like that when on the wards, but so do most women of other races--it is just the easiest way to keep it out of the way.

Besides, if some medical school rejected a qualified black candidate because of their hair, the ****storm would be so great I wouldn't want to be in the same city as that school.

Ditto to that! I am a natural hair QueenDiva as well who is applying MSTP (MD-PhD) for the 2012-2013 admissions cycle. I honestly can say that I've never had any issues rockin' my Afro to an interview whether it's for a scientific position or clinical internship. Keep your hair neat and cute and your overall appearance polished.

#TEAMNATURALHAIR:highfive:

Does anyone want to share styles?

I'm probably going to straighten my hair, simply because my curl pattern is a little messed up from a treatment I got for a wedding (Never. Again.). But I think no matter how you wear your hair, it'll be fine, as long as it looks presentable. :)

Your hair contributes to your personality but has nothing to do with your mental capabilities. When and hopefully you get your interview the only thing adcoms will be concerned about is if you have the mental ability to become a doctor and how strong your desire is to become a doctor. I just came from a open house for a med school and this is all they are concerned about. If you are still worried about hair, just think about all the commercials you see these days and notice how many have their natural hair.. a lot!

Your hair contributes to your personality but has nothing to do with your mental capabilities. When and hopefully you get your interview the only thing adcoms will be concerned about is if you have the mental ability to become a doctor and how strong your desire is to become a doctor. I just came from a open house for a med school and this is all they are concerned about. If you are still worried about hair, just think about all the commercials you see these days and notice how many have their natural hair.. a lot!

I doubt hair is a problem but outward appearance is important. Focus on appropriate clothing...IJS.

I am probably going to blow my hair out and do a twist out or braid out. Maybe a bun with some extensions not sure tho.But in reality, hair isn't an issue unless you make it one.

I plan on doing a simple bun.

Wear your natural hair. I wore my hair straight because my interviews for pharmacy school were in the winter time.

As for the bolded, I have never heard this before.

Really? I have never heard it specifically, but I know the way that the other black girls look at me/ and talk to me asking "when are you going to get your hair done, etc" they mean to imply that. Although I must admit, although I am no where near interviewing for any kind of professional school, I've had more black girls have problem with my natural hair than any other race.

Braids are cool.

:laugh::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bump!

I know this subject has been talked about to death, but it's a new year! :D and I'm always down for some girl talk ;)

Right now I'm currently debating buying a new flat iron because my very nice, semi-expensive one is packed away in storage on the other side of the country. People say to wear your hair in a bun or another neat style, but my hair is in an awkward stage in that it does not quite fit into a high bun without ample bobby pins. Straight, my hair would fall to my clavicles. I'm all about the sock bun trend, but I'm not sure if it will be long enough in time for interviews.

Anyone else debating interview hairstyles? :)

Bump!

I know this subject has been talked about to death, but it's a new year! :D and I'm always down for some girl talk ;)

Right now I'm currently debating buying a new flat iron because my very nice, semi-expensive one is packed away in storage on the other side of the country. People say to wear your hair in a bun or another neat style, but my hair is in an awkward stage in that it does not quite fit into a high bun without ample bobby pins. Straight, my hair would fall to my clavicles. I'm all about the sock bun trend, but I'm not sure if it will be long enough in time for interviews.

i was just having this conversation with my mom. my natural hair reaches the bottom of my neck and i was planning to put it in braids or twists but my mom disagrees. i might just make sure i have a good pattern and put on a headband..

Glad someone revived this thread. This has also been on my mind for a while. (Finally 2 years natural as of next week!) I think I may either go with a)flat ironed straight with light pin curls or b) just curls all over with Curlformers and a simple headband. I thought about just wearing it in a high poof or twist-out but my hair is entirely too big now for that now.

I think a twist out or two strand twist into a pony and secure with hair pins.

I've got locs at an AWKWARD length :/

Seems to be female oriented, but just wanted to add my $0.02. I am a AA male, and have natural hair (locks). Was contemplating cutting them for interview but decided to keep them and push forward. Attended 5+ interviews, and a few times, received compliments by admissions staff about my appearance. With that in mind, don't be afraid to embrace the natural look as long as you look neat/clean it's pretty acceptable nowadays. Oh I had the locks tied back in a pony tail. Good luck :luck:

I plan on rocking my fro. I agree that it shows my personality and it always helps people remember me. Hopefully they will be like "Hey remember that girl with the awesome curly head of hair, ya she is in"

Bump!

I'm in the same boat though no II is anywhere in sight yet. :p
I heard for business interviews it is the best to wear your hair up in a bun or ponytail, but I wonder if the same applies here. I've never had much success wearing my hair in a bun. :eek:

Yeah buns are mainstream.

For my interviews I've always done a variation of the following: FRONT - 2-3 inch part on the side, then 3 or 4 neat and flat twists on each side of the part. BACK - blow-dried out, then pinned up somehow with the ends of the twists from the front.

Hmm... I wonder if that's a good description lol. Sorry... It looked professional though.

i was just having this conversation with my mom. my natural hair reaches the bottom of my neck and i was planning to put it in braids or twists but my mom disagrees. i might just make sure i have a good pattern and put on a headband..

Good pattern? Like twist outs?

Glad someone revived this thread. This has also been on my mind for a while. (Finally 2 years natural as of next week!) I think I may either go with a)flat ironed straight with light pin curls or b) just curls all over with Curlformers and a simple headband. I thought about just wearing it in a high poof or twist-out but my hair is entirely too big now for that now.

Gosh, I'm jealous! I'm almost at the 1.5 year mark. Just a couple more inches...!

I think a twist out or two strand twist into a pony and secure with hair pins.

I've got locs at an AWKWARD length :/

Nice, I admire your patience. I didn't keep my locs in for that long.

Seems to be female oriented, but just wanted to add my $0.02. I am a AA male, and have natural hair (locks). Was contemplating cutting them for interview but decided to keep them and push forward. Attended 5+ interviews, and a few times, received compliments by admissions staff about my appearance. With that in mind, don't be afraid to embrace the natural look as long as you look neat/clean it's pretty acceptable nowadays. Oh I had the locks tied back in a pony tail. Good luck :luck:

Thanks! This was really encouraging. I think I'm going to stay away from a flat iron for now. Going to start trying out hairstyles other than twist outs in the coming weeks!

I plan on rocking my fro. I agree that it shows my personality and it always helps people remember me. Hopefully they will be like "Hey remember that girl with the awesome curly head of hair, ya she is in"

Bold! Idk if I could do it. I feel like my hair is too long for it to look professional in an afro anymore. My hair is at a weird stage where some hair will fall in a twist out, but others will point out in various directions.

I'm in the same boat though no II is anywhere in sight yet. :p
I heard for business interviews it is the best to wear your hair up in a bun or ponytail, but I wonder if the same applies here. I've never had much success wearing my hair in a bun. :eek:

Yeah, my buns look pathetic. I'm going to put good faith effort in creating a bun next week!

Yeah buns are mainstream.

For my interviews I've always done a variation of the following: FRONT - 2-3 inch part on the side, then 3 or 4 neat and flat twists on each side of the part. BACK - blow-dried out, then pinned up somehow with the ends of the twists from the front.

Hmm... I wonder if that's a good description lol. Sorry... It looked professional though.

Pictures? :D

I used to part on the side then flat twist around my face ( part to ear) then either continue twisting each side toward the crown only picking up some hair, or twist to the end on the hair town secure it in like a half pony with a cute clip. (I actually do something similar with my locs still) Then leave the back down and natural or two strand twist out, braid out, etc. can you take pic of your natural tresses?

Meh. Nevermind. I guess I'm just indecisive and lazy. :p

Last edited:
I feel like I'm just going to flat iron my hair. My natural fro, which i usually just slap a headband on and go with, is super curly with ridiculous shrinkage. I don't know how that will come off in an interview b/c the absorption of moisture in my hair shaft makes my hair appear unkempt.

Meh, I'm a little bummed, but this week I think I'm finally going to apply heat to my hair and do a blow out. I love my afro, and even people at work do too, but I'm going to keep it conservative and put my hair in a bun.

I completely disagree with NoNotYouLionel that curly hair gives a messy look, rather keeping the hair curly & at the same neat can give a girlish unorthodox look. If you are uncomfortable with your curliness that you can make a pony tail or just leave the hair as it is but bind it with a hair band & appear in the interview with a confidence.

I've decided that I was going to wear my hair in a twist out or braid out, depending on its length or just in a top bun. But in addition to how i'll wear it to interviews, does anyone want to give advice on maintaining my natural hair in medical school? Is it difficult? do you really don't have enough time? It's a daunting task already since i'm new to the length, but i don't want to have to use a relaxer all because of my natural hair would take a lot of time....

Have dreadlocks just below my shoulders, hair tied back, typical charcoal suit, I kept my small studs in both my ears as well. No issues, if a school doesn't accept me for me then I don't really need to be there.

Although I am male, I saw a variety of woman with natural hair, I saw a variety of hairstyles and all of them were appropriate. Just imagine you're a doctor that day, and dress like it. Four US MD acceptances. =)

I just wanted to add that I wore a blow out to all of my interviews except one in which I wore my natural hair. I did a wash 'n' go that morning, pushed back my hair in a low curly poof, and flat twisted my bang back. I received the most compliments the day I wore my natural hair. :rolleyes:

umm I'm a female with locs, a nose ring, and sometimes the tattoos on my feet show. This is who I am. If a program or school has a problem with this when I interview, I would seriously consider how my life will be if I go there. Anyway after applying to medical school 4 years ago, and way too many residency interviews in the last 3 months. Trust me, no one cares about your natural hair, but you. I think folks are over thinking this.

Have dreadlocks just below my shoulders, hair tied back, typical charcoal suit, I kept my small studs in both my ears as well. No issues, if a school doesn't accept me for me then I don't really need to be there.

Although I am male, I saw a variety of woman with natural hair, I saw a variety of hairstyles and all of them were appropriate. Just imagine you're a doctor that day, and dress like it. Four US MD acceptances. =)

This is great advice!

I know someone else commented on having a nose ring, but what about that? I have 4c hair that's about shoulder length when stretched, and I want to get a nose ring. They say the more normal you look, the less people seem to notice a nose ring, but with my hair, I always get stares. How will the hair and nose ring be accepted in med school and as a doctor?
I usually wear it in a fro or small puff

I know someone else commented on having a nose ring, but what about that? I have 4c hair that's about shoulder length when stretched, and I want to get a nose ring. They say the more normal you look, the less people seem to notice a nose ring, but with my hair, I always get stares. How will the hair and nose ring be accepted in med school and as a doctor?
I usually wear it in a fro or small puff
I have natural hair and a small nose stud. My hair is long enough that I was able to pull it back into a bun for interviews. As far as I can tell, the nose stud/natural combo did not hold me back. I am sure that there will be at some point someone who has some bias towards it but I think it has a lot more to do with how you present yourself/how neat/put together you are. I worked on a project with a doctor who had natural hair similar to what you describe and she did not seem to have any problems (she didn't have a nose ring though). I also met a doc who had tiny dreadlocks and she did not seem to have any problems either (also no nose ring though lol). So I think a bun/small fro neatly done up with a small nose stud should be fine, but I guess I'm biased since I'm in a similar position.

no nose ring please

so glad i found this thread cause i thought i was the only one. i started to go natural in dec 2013 and my biggest problem is good hair presentation. For a casual wear it is fine eg. hanging out with friends buy for professional program i think it should be more upscale. It is truly sad that we have to go through this or even think about altering our hair just to be accepted.The bun style doesnt work since i am still transitioning. My ends are relaxed with natural roots so the bun looks so tiny compared to the big natural poof at my roots. idk im thinking of braidng....any suggestions ?