National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sajitude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in possibly joining the National Guard but all that I know is from the recruiter. I was wondering what real dentists experience in the army National Guard has been.

I have also heard about an air force National Guard and was wondering how there compensation plans differ from the army's.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in possibly joining the National Guard but all that I know is from the recruiter. I was wondering what real dentists experience in the army National Guard has been.

I have also heard about an air force National Guard and was wondering how there compensation plans differ from the army's.

Thank you

Pay will always be the same in each of the services. The thing to ask is what the sign on bonus is. That is the only place compensation may be different is up front.

I was in the national guard, but not as a dentist so I can't help you. I would recommend asking the recruiter to speak with some of the national guard dentists in your area. He/she shoudl be able to arrange that for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay will always be the same in each of the services. The thing to ask is what the sign on bonus is. That is the only place compensation may be different is up front.

I was in the national guard, but not as a dentist so I can't help you. I would recommend asking the recruiter to speak with some of the national guard dentists in your area. He/she shoudl be able to arrange that for you.

How long were you in the National guard? Did you enjoy your experience? Were you deployed, if so where?

Thanks

Here is an old thread on the topic. I am also interested in joining the Guard, so please post any info you find.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506072&highlight=national+guard

I came across this post late last night when I was searching on this forum rather than studying lol. It answered some questions but not all. So far the information I received from the recruiter is they will pay me $3,800 a month for 3 years, not 4. After I graduate I receive a bonus of $75,000 paid over the course of the following 3 years, after which I would receive a student loan repayment that would be paid over the subsequent 2 years. The commitment seems reasonable but I have no experience with the military so am not exactly sure what it will entail.

For all of the above I have to train 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer each year during the 3 years of school they pay for and for 6 years following graduation. Also if I am deployed it cannot be for more than 90 days, and I receive a notice months in advance prior to deployment.

Please if anyone notices a mistake in the above please correct.

Thanks

How long were you in the National guard? Did you enjoy your experience? Were you deployed, if so where?

Thanks

3 years as an enlisted Soldier. I loved it - I was a linguist. It was mid-late 90's so there were no conflicts. I did deploy on a 2 week training mission in Thailand - but nothing in a hostile environment.

i spent 6+ years in the MO Army National Guard. it's been a while since i have been in the Guard, so i have no knowledge of what their current incentives are for dental students.

however.....the dentists in my company (the only dentists in the MO Army National Guard) did nothing but exams on their drill weekends, and for the most part did not have to participate in the 15 days of ADT.

i have kept in touch with all the guys that were dentists at the time. they have each deployed once, for 90 day "boots on ground" deployments to iraq. it was the first time in the history of the MO Army National Guard that a dentist had been deployed.

not sure if every unit in every state would be the same as mine was, but being a dentist in my unit would have been a pretty easy gig for some extra money. usually short days, they might do anywhere from 15 - 300 exams over the course of their weekend. not sure what the drill pay is, but it would be easy enough to look up. i'm pretty sure it is not $3800 a month, though.

your best bet would be to ask the recruiter what unit you would be assigned to (or what units would be available - he/she should be able to find this out for you) then contact a dentist that is already in that unit or company. make your recruiter do the footwork to find this information out for you. then contact that dentist and ask questions. they are usually more than happy to give info and opinions.

when i get out of active duty (in 8 years) i plan on going back to the National Guard.

i spent 6+ years in the MO Army National Guard. it's been a while since i have been in the Guard, so i have no knowledge of what their current incentives are for dental students.

however.....the dentists in my company (the only dentists in the MO Army National Guard) did nothing but exams on their drill weekends, and for the most part did not have to participate in the 15 days of ADT.

i have kept in touch with all the guys that were dentists at the time. they have each deployed once, for 90 day "boots on ground" deployments to iraq. it was the first time in the history of the MO Army National Guard that a dentist had been deployed.

not sure if every unit in every state would be the same as mine was, but being a dentist in my unit would have been a pretty easy gig for some extra money. usually short days, they might do anywhere from 15 - 300 exams over the course of their weekend. not sure what the drill pay is, but it would be easy enough to look up. i'm pretty sure it is not $3800 a month, though.

your best bet would be to ask the recruiter what unit you would be assigned to (or what units would be available - he/she should be able to find this out for you) then contact a dentist that is already in that unit or company. make your recruiter do the footwork to find this information out for you. then contact that dentist and ask questions. they are usually more than happy to give info and opinions.

when i get out of active duty (in 8 years) i plan on going back to the National Guard.

Well the handouts that the recruiter gave to us said $3,800 so I am hoping it is accurate. I did make a mistake though, all together it is a 8 yr. program not a 9.

What do you do during training?

The $3800 might be true for dental students, since they get extra money for school. Guard dentists don't make that much per month though once they are out of school, at least not at first, maybe if the dentist is a COL they might. The current annual pay for a Captain is about $8000 for working two weekends a month and 2 weeks training per year. There is currently a $25k per year bonus for 3 years, and $50k in loan repayment paid over 3 years.

umkcdds is not currently in the guard. he is active duty Army stationed at Ft Campbell, KY, he was previously in the Guard, per his post.

Last edited:
Well the handouts that the recruiter gave to us said $3,800 so I am hoping it is accurate. I did make a mistake though, all together it is a 8 yr. program not a 9.

What do you do during training?

what did my unit do during AT (the 15 days during the summer)? BLS training, land nav training, barbeque food, drink beer, play washers, play paintball, marksmanship qualification, drink more beer, play more washers. some went to strip clubs too, but that's not for me.

sometimes we would do some split-training and provide medical support for the marines that came to the camp where my unit was. that mostly consisted of sitting around reading books and playing video games, when we weren't giving them IV's when they got dehydrated while in the field

what did my unit do during AT (the 15 days during the summer)? BLS training, land nav training, barbeque food, drink beer, play washers, play paintball, marksmanship qualification, drink more beer, play more washers. some went to strip clubs too, but that's not for me.

sometimes we would do some split-training and provide medical support for the marines that came to the camp where my unit was. that mostly consisted of sitting around reading books and playing video games, when we weren't giving them IV's when they got dehydrated while in the field

Thanks for the response. What is BLS training? How do you like the program so far? Have you discovered any new things about the program that you did not know walking into it?

Also I was wondering if there are any recruiters on this forum that I could talk to as well?

i was not a dentist when i was in the army national guard. i was in the guard through my second year of dental school (without any type of army scholarship/stipend etc.) then i took the active duty hpsp for my last two years of dental school.

it has been about four years since i've been in the army national guard. i am active duty army now.

I noticed you said you have 8 more years of active duty, were you picked up for a residency? If so, which one. I did the AEGD-1 at Campbell a couple of years ago, when did you get there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recruiters on this forum that I could talk to?

I noticed you said you have 8 more years of active duty, were you picked up for a residency? If so, which one. I did the AEGD-1 at Campbell a couple of years ago, when did you get there?

i did the 1-year AEGD last year and will be leaving to go to Ft Bliss for OMS in June.

Will this additional time spent in the Guard count towards your 20 year retirement? For example...you do an HPSP scholarship for a total committment of 8 years then you could serve in the Guard an additional 12 years and hit the 20 year mark?

i did the 1-year AEGD last year and will be leaving to go to Ft Bliss for OMS in June.

Congrats on OMS. MAJ Sutton and MAJ McGhee must have lured you to the dark side.

Last edited:
Will this additional time spent in the Guard count towards your 20 year retirement? For example...you do an HPSP scholarship for a total committment of 8 years then you could serve in the Guard an additional 12 years and hit the 20 year mark?

yes, it counts, but not year-for-year. the way retirement works is on a points system.

on active duty, you get 1 point per day on active duty (365 per year). in the national guard, you get 4 points per weekend drill, and 1 point per ADT day.
so, at minimum, you should get 63 points - sometimes a little more, depending on the time you work.

active duty retirement can be reached at 7300 points (20 years worth).

between guard and active duty, i've been a little over 10 years, but have about 6.5 years worth of time towards retirement.

yes, it counts, but not year-for-year. the way retirement works is on a points system.

on active duty, you get 1 point per day on active duty (365 per year). in the national guard, you get 4 points per weekend drill, and 1 point per ADT day.
so, at minimum, you should get 63 points - sometimes a little more, depending on the time you work.

active duty retirement can be reached at 7300 points (20 years worth).

between guard and active duty, i've been a little over 10 years, but have about 6.5 years worth of time towards retirement.

I have a question on retirement points. 63 points per year over 20 years would give you 1260 points, but how many points are required for Guard retirement? I'm assuming the 7300 is only for active duty. Also I have heard something about needing 15 points for a "good year" but I don't understand what that means if retirement is based on points.

Thanks

guard retirement DATE isn't based off of points (ie a set number, or number of years), but the AMOUNT of pay you get for retirement is based off of those points. it is calculated from rank, time in service and points.

a "good year" is a year's worth of points that actually count towards your retirement. i don't remember what the amount is, but i think it was around 50. if you earn less than that specific amount, then none of the points from that year count towards retirement pay.

retirement pay from the guard is significantly less than what it would be from active duty.....due to earning so many less points.

.I just ran across this thread today and have to reply. umkcdds reported an AT experience which was way different from my AT experience.

My experience has been with the Illinois Air National Guard. My Annual Training (AT) times have been wonderful learning adventures. The Air Guard has taken me to ..Honduras.. (twice) and ..Paraguay.. on humanitarian missions, to ..Wiesbaden.. ..Germany.., ..Tucson.. ..AZ.., ..Coco Beach.. ..FL.., and Los Vegas NV to train in state of the art Air Force hospitals.

--The first implant I ever did was on AT in Davis Monthum Air Force Bace.
--I got my initial Advanced Life Support (ATLS) training at Fort Sam Huston during my C4 training.
--Every four years my AT was to Combat Medical Readiness Training (CMRT) which has worth 40 hours CME.

Yes, like everything in the military this was some wasted time and foolishness but for the most part my AT rotations were excellent training. Not only was I having fun and getting paid I was learning skills I could use back at the office in my "real job".

I am a first year dental student in my 2nd quarter. I was seriously thinking about joining the military last quarter, but got really busy. I know i have lost time and money because of that if i am still going to join.
So that's my situation and here are my questions:

I tried to contact the army national guard in california several times via email and phone messages last quarter but never got a response. Am i doing something wrong?

Also, I am Seventh-Day Adventist and as a religion we worship on Saturdays. I don't have a problem seeing patients on Saturdays but am wondering what are typical duties on Saturdays? I appreciate any feedback.

I have been having a hard time trying to get a hold of the recruiters that came to my school. I have sent 3 emails and left voicemails but still have not heard back. I figured they would be enthusiastic to help a dental student sign up.

Are there any recruiters on this forum for the National Guard?

I am a first year dental student in my 2nd quarter. I was seriously thinking about joining the military last quarter, but got really busy. I know i have lost time and money because of that if i am still going to join.
So that's my situation and here are my questions:

I tried to contact the army national guard in california several times via email and phone messages last quarter but never got a response. Am i doing something wrong?

Also, I am Seventh-Day Adventist and as a religion we worship on Saturdays. I don't have a problem seeing patients on Saturdays but am wondering what are typical duties on Saturdays? I appreciate any feedback.

Normal work week is M-F 7:30-4:30. I have been in 7 yrs active and have only come in 1 time on a weekend for deployment exams (may vary by location and the units at your base). I have had to come in multiple times on weekends though when I have been on call/emergency. The frequency you pull call depends on how big your clinic is and how many other dentists share the duty. My last place I pulled 1 week of call 4 times/yr.

So the answer is very infrequently will your Saturdays be interrupted.

I have been having a hard time trying to get a hold of the recruiters that came to my school. I have sent 3 emails and left voicemails but still have not heard back. I figured they would be enthusiastic to help a dental student sign up.

Are there any recruiters on this forum for the National Guard?

Try calling a National 1-800 # and tell them what is going on. They may be able to direct you to someone new. You can also look at the Reserve - the program is similar to the Guard - it has some different programs that are more flexible.

I would still consider Active Duty.

I am a first year dental student deciding between active duty HPSP(Navy) and the National Guard. I know everyone has a different experience, but since you have done both, what insight can you share?

I am a first year dental student deciding between active duty HPSP(Navy) and the National Guard. I know everyone has a different experience, but since you have done both, what insight can you share?

When I was in the National Guard it was as a translator - not a dentist. So I can tell you based upon conversations with others and what I saw as a non-dentist.

As a dentist in the National Guard you will do more administrative things and training on your "one weekend a month" drills. Your chance to be a dentist will mainly come during your "2 weeks/yr". These 2 week ATs may be humanitarian missions in other countries, or they may be at regular Army bases during the summers.

Life as a National Guard Soldier will allow you to maintain your private practice, as well as provide important perks like health care that you can get for you and your family much cheaper than otherwise. If you stay in 20 yrs you can also get a retirement when you turn 60 or 62.

In the National Guard if you deploy it will be for 90 days + the time to get ready and time to turn everything in when you are done. This may be up to an additional 1 month.

The pay can be found at www.dod.mil/dfas - click on military pay tables and scroll down the page until you see the part for "drill pay" the amount for 4 drills is what you would get paid for your weekend - currently $472/weekend for a new Captain.

Joining the National Guard, they can either pay you a stipend during school (not tuition), or you can join after you graduate and get a sign on bonus or loan repayment.

When I was in the National Guard it was as a translator - not a dentist. So I can tell you based upon conversations with others and what I saw as a non-dentist.

As a dentist in the National Guard you will do more administrative things and training on your "one weekend a month" drills. Your chance to be a dentist will mainly come during your "2 weeks/yr". These 2 week ATs may be humanitarian missions in other countries, or they may be at regular Army bases during the summers.

Life as a National Guard Soldier will allow you to maintain your private practice, as well as provide important perks like health care that you can get for you and your family much cheaper than otherwise. If you stay in 20 yrs you can also get a retirement when you turn 60 or 62.

In the National Guard if you deploy it will be for 90 days + the time to get ready and time to turn everything in when you are done. This may be up to an additional 1 month.

The pay can be found at www.dod.mil/dfas - click on military pay tables and scroll down the page until you see the part for "drill pay" the amount for 4 drills is what you would get paid for your weekend - currently $472/weekend for a new Captain.

Joining the National Guard, they can either pay you a stipend during school (not tuition), or you can join after you graduate and get a sign on bonus or loan repayment.

I appreciate the info! I never hear anything about the NG Army Med Student Recruiter program.

Last edited: