National Guard - morbidity and mortality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Immuno-guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my wife that NG dental corps is not a highly dangerous unit. To do this I need data.

Does anyone have any data on the number of NG personnel injured or killed while on duty during the 90 days boots on ground?

Furthermore, how likely is it to be deployed for the full 120 days and how often is this likely to happen?

Again, I am looking for hard data, preferably with references.

This data would help me convince my wife that NG is the best choice for us.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

the last i heard, zero dentists have been killed or injured in iraq. active, reserve or NG.

the three NG dentists that i know, who were deployed, did not spend the entire 120 days deployed. they did spend about 3 weeks prior to hitting boots-on-ground and about 2 weeks in de-mob.

no references.

those three deployments were the first three dentists deployed in the history of the MO Army NG.

sorry, no references.

I'm trying to convince my wife that NG dental corps is not a highly dangerous unit. To do this I need data.

Does anyone have any data on the number of NG personnel injured or killed while on duty during the 90 days boots on ground?

Furthermore, how likely is it to be deployed for the full 120 days and how often is this likely to happen?

Again, I am looking for hard data, preferably with references.

This data would help me convince my wife that NG is the best choice for us.

Thank you.

Previous post was correct. No dentist has been killed. It is still dangerous because you can end up in Iraq or Afghanistan - just less dangerous because you are on the bases. If you want minimal risk/danger look at the IMA in the reserves. They usually just backfill Army bases in the states. However they usually don't get enough points for a "good year" (see other posts) unless they do extra stuff to get it.