National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliftonjr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a website that you can get a large pool of questions for the NBPME Part I Exam? It seems that the NBPME submits the same questions from one year to the next year in their yearly bulletin.

Members don't see this ad.

cliftonjr said:
Does anyone know if there is a website that you can get a large pool of questions for the NBPME Part I Exam? It seems that the NBPME submits the same questions from one year to the next year in their yearly bulletin.
They should make 3 practice tests (of 50 questions each I think) available to you online after you register.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Feelgood said:
You don't need to register. The website is www.nbpme.info. Just go to the download section.

once you read those questions you will understand why 1 week is enough study time.

one more factor that lead to one week of study time...

statistics - if you know L.E. and can get about 95% of that section correct (22% of the test) you only need about 50 - 60% of the rest of the test to pass with a true 75% of the test correct.

But there is a curve. so you really only need to get like 55% in total to pass the whole test.

this all lead to my 1 week study time.

And since the NBPME made a mistake and sent the raw scores to the schools by accident last year, I know that I passed before the curve was even set.

good luck to all the test takers, but really, do not stress so much... it's only $900. :laugh:

krabmas said:
once you read those questions you will understand why 1 week is enough study time.

one more factor that lead to one week of study time...

statistics - if you know L.E. and can get about 95% of that section correct (22% of the test) you only need about 50 - 60% of the rest of the test to pass with a true 75% of the test correct.

But there is a curve. so you really only need to get like 55% in total to pass the whole test.

this all lead to my 1 week study time.

And since the NBPME made a mistake and sent the raw scores to the schools by accident last year, I know that I passed before the curve was even set.

good luck to all the test takers, but really, do not stress so much... it's only $900. :laugh:

Are the questions on the real boards look as easy as these practice tests? Are the questions as general as on of the practice tests?

I was expecting something far worst after the MCAT experience. Seriously, I don't see how many people could do well in pod school and fail this test.

doclm said:
Are the questions on the real boards look as easy as these practice tests? Are the questions as general as on of the practice tests?

I was expecting something far worst after the MCAT experience. Seriously, I don't see how many people could do well in pod school and fail this test.

Some of the questions on the boards should be "gimmes" and some are far worse. The test is tough but fair (although some people will disagree).

i could have sworn i saw one of you podiatry board regulars claiming that your boards are "similar in difficulty" to the usmle... what's the point of you guys even taking that test?? just so they can collect registration fees most likely...

Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum.

And the trolls come out from under their bridge.

Flobber said:
i could have sworn i saw one of you podiatry board regulars claiming that your boards are "similar in difficulty" to the usmle... what's the point of you guys even taking that test?? just so they can collect registration fees most likely...

well flobber, i can't comment on the relative difficulty of the podiatry step I exam in comparison to the USMLE step 1 simply because I will be only taking the podiatry step I...I am reviewing with the USMLE practice exams though and i'm pretty confident with my basic sciences foundation - since you're so concerned with us taking our boards, I will make sure to tell you how they went and if they were difficult or not...

I doubt that our profession needs to have board exams just for the sake of collecting fees...we can't get our degree without our boards and we can not perform surgeries without completing our residencies and board-eligibility/certification from the american board of podiatic surgery and the american college of foot and ankle surgeons.

Thank you for your concern though

Flobber said:

Their is no difference in the level of difficulty between the USMLE Step I and NBPME Step 1. They cover the same material for the most part.
-Biochemistry
-Micro
-Path
-Pharm
-Physiology
-Immuno
-Anatomy
-Lower Limb
(no behavioral med)

That would be why we use the same material to study. Infact, we actually have our own section in the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 book explaining our exam(pg 53). Flobber, you may want to read that page :laugh:

jonwill said:
Their is no difference in the level of difficulty between the USMLE Step I and NBPME Step 1. They cover the same material for the most part.
-Biochemistry
-Micro
-Path
-Pharm
-Physiology
-Immuno
-Anatomy
-Lower Limb
(no behavioral med)

That would be why we use the same material to study. Infact, we actually have our own section in the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 book explaining our exam(pg 53). Flobber, you may want to read that page :laugh:

My mistake... it must be that you guys are just so much brighter than us med students. I wish I could be smart enough to study for 1 week and pass my boards :mad: .

Lol, flobber, if you liked that so well, you should see how some of the "A" students in my class study in general!

Just be sure to ask them questions when you bump into them during residency and internships to know the real doctor behind a degree!

Just be sure to let them know how smart you really think they are!

You just don't know how bright some of us r-e-a-l-l-y are until you talk to us!!!

What a hoot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Flobber said:
My mistake... it must be that you guys are just so much brighter than us med students. I wish I could be smart enough to study for 1 week and pass my boards :mad: .

Study time for ANY test is more about the student than the test. Admit it, we are all jealous of the people that can read it once and have it. I think I can speak for most students when I say we study a lot longer than one week for the NBPME (or that might explain why so many people fail it)!

However, to illustrate my point, one of my best friends took the USMLE cold and passed it. On the other hand, a friend from college studied for 6 months and failed the first time, then passed it the second. However, both are doing well in their respective schools. I saw the same trend with a lot of my buddies that took the COMLEX last year (our 1st year and a half is done with DO's).

whiskers said:
Lol, flobber, if you liked that so well, you should see how some of the "A" students in my class study in general!

Just be sure to ask them questions when you bump into them during residency and internships to know the real doctor behind a degree!

You just don't know how bright some of us r-e-a-l-l-y are until you talk to us!!!

What a hoot!

Whiskers, where ya been?

Flobber said:

wow flobber would it occur to you that perhaps not every student is the same...while some study for their boads over a week, others spend months preparing for them...and who said anything about being brighter than med students - do u have some kind of inferirority complex and need to be reassured of your intellectual capacity?

Podman said:
wow flobber would it occur to you that perhaps not every student is the same...while some study for their boads over a week, others spend months preparing for them...and who said anything about being brighter than med students - do u have some kind of inferirority complex and need to be reassured of your intellectual capacity?

Yes.

whiskers said:

What a hoot!

Honestly, I've read this post several times... I don't even know what you're trying to say. It must be that I'm so dumb.. I should go study.

Flobber said:

I forgot about the trolls so let me take a minute out of my life to explain my week long study theory.

I remembered stuff from the first go round of studying therefore I just had to review some stuff. It takes way less time to review material already learned.

I also cannot comment on a comparison between the NBPME and the USMLE because I only took the NBPME.

I'm sure if you know the right stuff and study effectively the USMLE might not be that hard.

Most test taking is know what to study and studying effectively.

Then when you take the test if an answer jumps out at you that is probably the right answer. DO NOT GO BACK. DO NOT CHANGE ANY ANSWERS.

If you go back you will most likely change more answers to wrong than to right.

Flobber said:

ok well in this case, look in the mirror and keep telling yourself "I am a medical student. I am smart. No, I am not just smart. I am god's gift to medicine"... :) i'm jus kidding man, good luck with school...

Flobber said:
Honestly, I've read this post several times... I don't even know what you're trying to say. It must be that I'm so dumb.. I should go study.

Don't worry most of us Pod students do not know what he is talking about more than 1/2 the time.

That is just wiskers.

krabmas said:
I forgot about the trolls so let me take a minute out of my life to explain my week long study theory.

I remembered stuff from the first go round of studying therefore I just had to review some stuff. It takes way less time to review material already learned.

I also cannot comment on a comparison between the NBPME and the USMLE because I only took the NBPME.

I'm sure if you know the right stuff and study effectively the USMLE might not be that hard.

Most test taking is know what to study and studying effectively.

Then when you take the test if an answer jumps out at you that is probably the right answer. DO NOT GO BACK. DO NOT CHANGE ANY ANSWERS.

If you go back you will most likely change more answers to wrong than to right.

Ah... I didn't see that you had taken it already once before. That makes more sense. Never mind me, I'm staring down the barrel of a month of solid cramming for the boards and I'm irked by anyone or anything at this point. I probably do have a bit of an inferiority complex at this point, simply because I'm in debt up to my ass and the end is NOWHERE in sight; everyone needs to justify their choices somehow, right?

Apologies...

Flobber said:
Ah... I didn't see that you had taken it already once before. That makes more sense. Never mind me, I'm staring down the barrel of a month of solid cramming for the boards and I'm irked by anyone or anything at this point. I probably do have a bit of an inferiority complex at this point, simply because I'm in debt up to my ass and the end is NOWHERE in sight; everyone needs to justify their choices somehow, right?

Apologies...

I only took the boards once.

I meant the first go round as in classes. I studied the material already and learned it for class.

much easier to study material already learned.

Flobber said:

Welcome to our world Flobber. But it's the Whiskers we all know and love. Good luck with your studies.