NAPLEX 2009 (Has anyone taken it yet?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to study for the Naplex and hope to take in Early June :scared:. Has anyone taken it yet and if so what did you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Naplex on July 3rd and felt like I got hit by a bus. I had at least 4 cases ALL AIDS and HIV questions. I couldn't believe it! Otherwise, it was heavy on calc and had random other questions thrown in.

I would be interested to hear how others who posted and thought it was difficult made out.... especially those who had a ton of HIV/AIDS questions.

I am anxious to find out if I passed, but I know I'll have to wait longer because of the weekend/holiday!
Hi everyone- sorry to make some of you scared again, because even though I felt so bad after the exam I passed!!! I just found out!!! and with cushion room too.... so don't worry so much if you get the exam from hell. Good luck all....

Leah, congratulations! Thanks for letting us know how you did! Sorry your exam seems to have been harder than other people's. It definitely helps to know that there's still hope after a difficult exam.

Got my pass/fail result today... I passed! What a great feeling, now it's on to the mpje!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats fellow pharmacists haha

Its def a great feeling after passing, but still, its scary before taking the exam just because of the amount of material you are expected to know. Still have 2 weeks to study and haven't finished the APha book yet :///

And 5 days after the naplex for the mpje (420 pages of LAW!)

I took the NAPLEX on June 2, 2009. I studied for 3 weeks before taking the exam. My exam was a mix of easy questions that any pharmacy student would know and difficult questions that most new graduates probably don't know. I felt like I had passed it after taking the exam, and I felt that if I failed, studying more wouldn't have made much difference. I got got my results today, and I made a 135 scaled score!

I recommend studying as much as you think you need to study, but it's designed to assess MINIMUM competancy to practice, and if you look at the statistics, well over 90% pass it the first time.

However, the MPJE is not so easy. I took it today, for the state of Tennessee, and I think I might have failed. It was really difficult. I only studied for 3 days before taking the MPJE, and now I wish that I had spent 3 days on the NAPLEX and 3 weeks on the MPJE. I went to pharmacy school in NY, so I didn't have the advantage of Jurisprudence notes from TN. I studied federal law and the "Blue Book" the state sent me of TN pharmacy laws. I'm not sure what score I'll end up with on the MPJE, but I found it to be much more difficult that the NAPLEX.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with your exams!

congratulations.your score is really high.
can you guide me which books you studied.thanks

I don't want to freak you out, but my test was awful. Awful to the point that I'm fairly certain I failed. I'll actually be surprised if I passed it. Everyone so far has said it "wasn't that bad", but I got over 25 calculations questions (including FIVE alligation questions), tons of HIV, tons of questions about refrigeration, very specific details about different vaccines, stupid asthma questions (e.g. peak flow meter zones???). It was bullcrap. I really think I got a sh*tty test. I'm not a stupid person, but I really felt like an idiot taking that test. I had almost no easy questions. ALmost no blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, COPD, or any of the major stuff. But, for some reason I had a ton of thyroid/parathyroid, interferon, and MOA stuff. Couldn't believe it.

I think mine was an exception though, not the typical questions. Most people I've talked to hardly had any HIV :( Study those calculations. The RxPrep ones weren't good enough to study. My questions were way harder and multi-step problems.

We'll see...

I don't want to freak you out, but my test was awful. Awful to the point that I'm fairly certain I failed. I'll actually be surprised if I passed it. Everyone so far has said it "wasn't that bad", but I got over 25 calculations questions (including FIVE alligation questions), tons of HIV, tons of questions about refrigeration, very specific details about different vaccines, stupid asthma questions (e.g. peak flow meter zones???). It was bullcrap. I really think I got a sh*tty test. I'm not a stupid person, but I really felt like an idiot taking that test. I had almost no easy questions. ALmost no blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, COPD, or any of the major stuff. But, for some reason I had a ton of thyroid/parathyroid, interferon, and MOA stuff. Couldn't believe it.

I think mine was an exception though, not the typical questions. Most people I've talked to hardly had any HIV :( Study those calculations. The RxPrep ones weren't good enough to study. My questions were way harder and multi-step problems.

We'll see...

I think I had the same test you did...a pediatric heart failure case?! And whatever nice person made up the version of the exam I had decided to put 90% of the math at the very end...I was running out of time and ended up just having to guess on alot of them. So I'm feeling the exact same way as you right now :/

I agree with Vitamin K and DMBRx...I think I had a similar test as well. I thought that it was hard, and they asked a lot of random things. I had HIV questions, cystic fibrosis, transplant, random brand names that I haven't even heard of, and vaccines just to name a few. I didn't have much of the "basic/common" disease states (HTN, DM, CHF, etc). It was pretty awful, and I feel like I failed. I'm just hoping that the calculations bring my score up.

I've talked to some of my friends, and I've gotten mixed responses. A few had the common disease states and they said that it wasn't that bad. However, the others got random things and thought that it was hard.

It was not a very pleasant experience, so we shall see in a few weeks.

I think I had the same test you did...a pediatric heart failure case?! And whatever nice person made up the version of the exam I had decided to put 90% of the math at the very end...I was running out of time and ended up just having to guess on alot of them. So I'm feeling the exact same way as you right now :/
I had the same experience...tons of calculations at the end of the exam, ran out of time and had to guess. My advice is to alot yourself 3 hours for the exam so that if you get bombarded with calc questions at the very end of the exam you have time. I had 5-6 PK questions/calculations throughout the exam and also regular calculation throughout the exam so I never thought I would get a ton of calc questions right at the end. My exam seemed to touch on everything. Maybe it is my NAPLEX-induced paranoia, but I felt like the computer was searching for areas I didn't know well and it found my weak areas. I had very little HIV, cancer or common disease states, but it did touch on all these areas. I felt ok about the exam until I got slammed with calculations at the end and had not alloted time for that. Left feeling pretty bad especially since I knew I could do all the calculations that I had to guess on.

I get so confused when I read these posts.
So far,what I've learned from this thread is that the pre-naplex can help you to have an idea of your actual naplex.Did you guys took it?

I'll take mine of the 22 and I'm very nervous about it.
Hope everybody passed the exam ,and although you may think you did bad all my friends that have told me they have diffult exams have gotten high scores on the exam.

I took the pre-Naplex about a week prior to my exam. I got a 117 on the Pre-Naplex with a scaled score of 96-130. I continued to study after taking the Pre-Naplex. It definitely helped relieve some test anxiety. I felt pretty good going in, but not coming out! I don't have my Naplex score yet so I don't know how well the Pre-Naplex score correlated with the actual exam score.

I took the pre-Naplex about a week prior to my exam. I got a 117 on the Pre-Naplex with a scaled score of 96-130. I continued to study after taking the Pre-Naplex. It definitely helped relieve some test anxiety. I felt pretty good going in, but not coming out! I don't have my Naplex score yet so I don't know how well the Pre-Naplex score correlated with the actual exam score.

When did you take your exam?

Guys, I'm basically writing b/c the BIG day is almost here for me (july 17th) and I'm getting kinda nervous! I have so many "what if's" in my brain. What did you all do the day before your exam? I'm mostly studying from pronto pass so did you review the Quick Card summary or go through your weak packets? Oh and please don't tell me not to study the day before cause its NOT going to happen :p

Members don't see this ad :)

for what I see here and from my friends ,the pre-naplex score correlates to the actual score.I think you will be ok.
Let's us know.I'm hoping on that to take my exam

Guys, I'm basically writing b/c the BIG day is almost here for me (july 17th) and I'm getting kinda nervous! I have so many "what if's" in my brain. What did you all do the day before your exam? I'm mostly studying from pronto pass so did you review the Quick Card summary or go through your weak packets? Oh and please don't tell me not to study the day before cause its NOT going to happen :p

I'm also between cards,calculations,posters,quickcards and the Lange Q&A book.

I studied Prontopass too. On the day before I went over the Q-bank and the last minute summary cards. Make sure you know your math really well. You still have a bit of time, so review your weak points with the quick cards and posters. Don't get too stressed out and don't try to study too much on the day before, make sure you have a good night of sleep!

I took mine on July 7th, still nervously waiting for the score. Honestly, there were few questions I remembered from studying Prontopass, the others were just random and off the wall. (The math practice did help though). I had about 3 dosage form questions, 1 HIV question asking to mark the MOA on the picture provided, a whole bunch Clinical trial questions, 1 question asked the brand name of one med I've never heard of. Overall I guessed a lot of them, I'm not sure if I will pass this time. It doesn't really matter how much you studied seriously. I should've taken it right after my graduation it would make no difference. Sorry I didn't mean to scary you, but just so anxious...The worst test, the worst week of my life waiting, waiting and waiting...:xf::xf::xf:

Guys I scored a 95 (range: 69-115) on the pre-naplex...I have my Naplex in 4 days, July 16, what should I do?? Reschedule? or should I just go ahead and take it.

You are given a simple calculator with +/-/x/divide

There is no log function or anything "complex" like that.

So is there even a 10^ function? I heard some places only allowed the calculator on the computer? Also, was scrap paper provided?

Hey guys...
As far as PK Qs on the exam... can u plz explain how is it possible to solve these problems with a regular calculator?
If i study the prontopass math cards are those enough... thnks!

So is there even a 10^ function? I heard some places only allowed the calculator on the computer? Also, was scrap paper provided?

There is no 10^ function on the Calculator, it's the simplest Calculator with numbers, +/-/x/divide. Scrap paper is provided as well as a pen. The one I had was not erasable, so I had to raise my hand to get a new one as I ran out the space on the paper.

Hey guys...
As far as PK Qs on the exam... can u plz explain how is it possible to solve these problems with a regular calculator?
If i study the prontopass math cards are those enough... thnks!

There were no PK Qs on my exam, I don't think there will be except you should know how to calculate half life. So don't worry too much about the complicated ones. Prontopass math cards are very good, as long as you know how to do all of those, you are set to go! Practice, practice and practice.

I just passed my NAPLEX and MPJE recently. The law is much harder and there were a lot of calculations as one of you had mentioned. I am selling my Pronto pass cards for NAPLEX. If anyone is interested pls. contact me. Thanks

There were no PK Qs on my exam, I don't think there will be except you should know how to calculate half life. So don't worry too much about the complicated ones. Prontopass math cards are very good, as long as you know how to do all of those, you are set to go! Practice, practice and practice.

THANK U!:thumbup:

There is no 10^ function on the Calculator, it's the simplest Calculator with numbers, +/-/x/divide. Scrap paper is provided as well as a pen. The one I had was not erasable, so I had to raise my hand to get a new one as I ran out the space on the paper.

Thanks & congratulations!!!!! :)

We'll see...

UPDATE: I don't know how, but I passed! I couldn't believe it. I even had the lady double check! Someday I'd really like to understand how they score the exam. I hope this helps some of you feel better. If I could pass this version feeling like I did when I left there, you'll all be fine!

Just opened the dreaded envelope...and I passed!!! Had alot of room to spare, too! I almost threw up on the way home from the post office...then got under my covers and opened it, haha.

You guys who haven't taken it yet will be just fine!! I'll say a prayer for each of you, I know I felt like that's what I definitely needed afterwards :)

Tomorrow at this time I will be sitting in my naplex exam!! Holy crap!!! Anyhow, CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who thought you had failed coming out... very nice surprise eh? I must say that after reading that you guys have passed, I feel more at ease so thank you! I will let you know tomorrow evening how it went...

Wish me luck guys!!

I got my Naplex score today! I passed ! I passed! I took the exam 7/9 in Florida for anyone anxiously awaiting news. The Pronto Pass PK formulas were good practice, I used every one of them. They gave me a hand-held calculator on request. I called ahead to make sure they did have calculators. It was plenty for all the calculations. I did better on the pre-Naplex but I scored in my predicted pre-Naplex range with room to spare. Good luck to everyone. If you study and prepare you will pass. Congrats to everyone who passed!

Guys I'm done w/the test. I literally got out of the exam an hour ago. The exam was a mixture of VERY easy questions and diffcult. I had NO pK or HIV. A TON of OTC, asthma, stats and diabetes!! 1 cancer. 1 question on vaccine administration. Please don't freak out on the calculations, they were easy. The prontopass math is much more than you really need. Less than 5 questions on antibiotics. I'm hoping I passed w/the 75!!!

Btw, for those of you in Florida, how long does it take to get your Naplex scores? Can you call?

Last edited:
Just opened the dreaded envelope...and I passed!!! Had alot of room to spare, too! I almost threw up on the way home from the post office...then got under my covers and opened it, haha.

You guys who haven't taken it yet will be just fine!! I'll say a prayer for each of you, I know I felt like that's what I definitely needed afterwards :)

wth, I would have opened the envelope in the car if not in the post office. Noob...

pre-NAPLEX: 125
NAPLEX:129
MPJE: 82

i had felt good about the NAPLEX, but i really thought i 'd be retaking the MPJE... what a relief! now i can spend my time on more important things.... honing master chief's melee skills....

Good advice that one of my professors gave us, and I believe it helped me get a higher score is ...math. If you try to do as many math problems as you can before the NAPLEX (esp from the Appleton and Lange Book) you will be ready for the math they throw at you on the NAPLEX.

Hope that helps.

Just finished an hour ago_Overall,there were questions that I didn't even know what the name of the medicines were.More than 40-50 calcualtions,like 5 0r 6 of the I and II style and the rest cases.MS,Hep B,CF etc
I studied 4 weeks,most days long hours.
No DM,HTN,Cancer,HIV.
Hope I pass.

Just took it today. You know its a hard test when you daydream at the computer at random times. My god it was hard. And I practically "read" the APha book twice.

Loads of calc

Wish to know how many profile questions do you get in general in the exam........
I think the majority of questions that weren't calculations had profiles on my test. I would get a profile and then have a couple of different questions related to it. The profile info wasnt really needed to answer all the questions though.

I think the majority of questions that weren't calculations had profiles on my test. I would get a profile and then have a couple of different questions related to it. The profile info wasnt really needed to answer all the questions though.

I did my NAPLEX yesterday most of my questions were regd a profile even though you did not need the profile to answer a few, out of the first 160 questions i got only about 10-15 were not attached to a profile. the last 25 questions were mainly calculations. I had enough time to finish but I am not sure if I did well. was guessing on a lot of questions......:(....very worried

done! not so bad. Lots that I knew immediately, and a couple that were complete guesses.

I did have one calculation where as soon as I clicked "next" I realized I'd forgotten to look at renal function. ooops.

Didn't seem adaptive - I had mostly cases and almost no oncology. A fair amount (maybe 5 or 6?) HIV med questions. About 5 statistics questions.

What do most of you think about a prenaplex score of 103? Is that bad or will I be OK for the NAPLEX? Some of the questions I missed were due to being a little tired (I took it at 10pm) but I'm not giving myself that excuse. I can be just as careless as tired and still miss those questions so what do some of you think of 103?

Hello Guys,
Thanks for all the support. I took the NAPLEX today and there were about 30-40 calculations if not more. Men, am glad that I horned my calculation skills. Overall, I felt I did fine but u never can tell until you see the real scores. Now the waiting game begins for me. I will try and not think so hard about it as I have my law exam coming up in a week.

Thanks to you all and I will let you guys know once I get my score.

hiiii , 1st:Congradulation for Success
2nd: if u don't mind i need the Material because i'm preparing for Naples PLZ