NANS 2023 -- Evolving Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DRG-S is not for everyone. I mean both patients and docs. But it absolutely is indicated for the crps patient in the right hands. Follow the evidence…
So right hand only? Pretty sure it is only groin to foot.

The Proclaim™ DRG Neurostimulator System treats chronic pain in the foot, knee, or groin in patients with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS).1 Best evidence from Deer and Levy (Tim and Bob). Tainted.

Members don't see this ad.

So right hand only? Pretty sure it is only groin to foot.

The Proclaim™ DRG Neurostimulator System treats chronic pain in the foot, knee, or groin in patients with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS).1 Best evidence from Deer and Levy (Tim and Bob). Tainted.
I’m pretty sure you were joking on the first part. But there are docs reading this who bash drg who didn’t know you were joking….

There are industry biased studies yes, but there are also dozens of smaller studies done by independent physicians that continue to show it works for knees, groins, feet.

I can tell you that it’s 5% of all my neuromod, but those 5% in general do better than the other 95%. N=1, take it with several grains of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m pretty sure you were joking on the first part. But there are docs reading this who bash drg who didn’t know you were joking….

There are industry biased studies yes, but there are also dozens of smaller studies done by independent physicians that continue to show it works for knees, groins, feet.

I can tell you that it’s 5% of all my neuromod, but those 5% in general do better than the other 95%. N=1, take it with several grains of salt.
Unless you do DRG, you do not know how much harder it is to do the trial and implant as compared to conventional SCS. Going to a course then trying it on your own is not as simple as switching from MDT to Abbott to Nevro. Entirely different skill set. Different anchoring, different entry position and angles. That ligament preventing exit out of epidural space and into foramen. I have only done a handful. Working for those folks. But easily 2x as long as a Nevro implant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you do DRG, you do not know how much harder it is to do the trial and implant as compared to conventional SCS. Going to a course then trying it on your own is not as simple as switching from MDT to Abbott to Nevro. Entirely different skill set. Different anchoring, different entry position and angles. That ligament preventing exit out of epidural space and into foramen. I have only done a handful. Working for those folks. But easily 2x as long as a Nevro implant.
All of these are excellent points. And valid. For the drg implanter who has done over 50 cases it takes about the same as SCS.

BUT this takes time and a learning curve.

May I ask what was the reason you chose DRG for those handful of patients over SCS?

All of these are excellent points. And valid. For the drg implanter who has done over 50 cases it takes about the same as SCS.

May I ask what was the reason you chose DRG for those handful of patients over SCS?
Sent to me for these cases. One trial, one de novo implant, 3 revisions.

You'll revise a lot of these cases. They migrate frequently despite the BS Abbott reps will tell you. I've had a few legitimately insane conversations regarding DRG. I'm trained to do it (2018) and I've done 1 case. Unlikely I'm going to keep doing them.

Reactions: 3 users
DRG-S is not for everyone. I mean both patients and docs. But it absolutely is indicated for the crps patient in the right hands. Follow the evidence…
um.... can you post the evidence?

please post.

fyi i did look in pubmed but the only real study i see is Deer's ACCURATE study.

I haven’t had any DRG migrations yet *knock on wood*

...design me a DRG lead you place transforaminally and you will own the world...

1674169052029.png

You'll revise a lot of these cases. They migrate frequently despite the BS Abbott reps will tell you. I've had a few legitimately insane conversations regarding DRG. I'm trained to do it (2018) and I've done 1 case. Unlikely I'm going to keep um.... can you post the evidence?
please post.

fyi i did look in pubmed but the only real study i see is Deer's ACCURATE study.
this is a 2022 review of the literature on drg. There is one RCT and 39 observational studies, of course varying in power and quality. There are also more basic science publications about drg stimulation when compared to some other new things in our field. Opinion only.

D'Souza RS, Kubrova E, Her YF, Barman RA, Smith BJ, Alvarez GM, West TE, Abd-Elsayed A. Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation for Lower Extremity Neuropathic Pain Syndromes: An Evidence-Based Literature Review. Adv Ther. 2022 Oct;39(10):4440-4473. doi: 10.1007/s12325-022-02244-9. Epub 2022 Aug 22. PMID: 35994195; PMCID: PMC9464732.

this is a 2022 review of the literature on drg. There is one RCT and 39 observational studies, of course varying in power and quality. There are also more basic science publications about drg stimulation when compared to some other new things in our field. Opinion only.

Okay but PRP is about $500 and DRG is about $150000.

Members don't see this ad :)

i do not do DRG.

fwiw, however, the biggest implanter in the area, that i would send CRPS referrals specifically for DRG, has flatly refused to do any more, for the aforementioned reason - too many side effects, and too little additional benefit over traditional stim. has told me to just do traditional stim myself.

D'Souza RS, Kubrova E, Her YF, Barman RA, Smith BJ, Alvarez GM, West TE, Abd-Elsayed A. Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation for Lower Extremity Neuropathic Pain Syndromes: An Evidence-Based Literature Review. Adv Ther. 2022 Oct;39(10):4440-4473. doi: 10.1007/s12325-022-02244-9. Epub 2022 Aug 22. PMID: 35994195; PMCID: PMC9464732.
um.... thats a review article - and the one study was one done by interventional spine doctors comparing DRG to traditional stim.

you did not list or comment about any of the observational studies, just made a poitn that was direct from the article.

really not adequate....

fyi link to the one RCT that this is all based on:

for completeness, they provided this statement:

Conflict of interest statement​

All authors were paid by Spinal Modulation & St Jude Medical as investigators for the clinical trial. T. R. Deer is a consultant for Axonics, Bioness, Flowonix, Medtronic, Jazz, Nevro, St. Jude, and Saluda and has consulting or equity for Axonics and Bioness. T. R. Deer formerly had equity in Spinal Modulation and Nevro. R. M. Levy has served as a consultant for Bioness, BlueWind Medical, Boston Scientific, Flowonix, Medtronic, Microtransponder, Nevro, Saluda, Spinal Modulation, and St Jude Medical. R. M. Levy is or has been a minority shareholder in Saluda, Spinal Modulation, Bioness, Vertos, and Nevro. N. Mekhail formerly had a consultation agreement with spinal modulation to serve as medical monitor of the ACCURATE study. Currently, he is a consultant for St Jude Medical, Saluda medical, Stimwave, Medtronic neurological, and Flowonix inc. K. Amirdelfan is a consultant for St. Jude Medical, Nevro, Saluda, Nalu, and Biotronik. J. Pope is a consultant for Medtronic, NEVRO, St Jude, Flowonix, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, and Suture Concepts. T. Yearwood is a consultant for St Jude Medical, Boston Scientific, Nevro, Flowonix, and Neuronano; he serves as an officer for Meghan Medical. W. P. McRoberts serves or has served as a consultant for St Jude Medical, Medtronic, Nevro, Boston Scientific, Bioness, Vertiflex, and SPR. T. Davis has conducted research for Spinal Modulation, Vertiflex, Medtronic, Axsome, Nature Cell, and Halyard Health; has received fees for consulting, education, or speaking from St Jude Medical, Medtronic Restorative Therapies, Stryker, Vertiflex, DrChrono, and Tenex Health; and has ownership interests in Paradigm Spine <1%, LDR Holdings <1%, Alpha Diagnostics Neuromonitoring, and Broadway Surgical Institute. J. Scowcroft has served as a consultant for Boston Scientific. L. Kapural is a consultant for St Jude Medical, Nevro, Neuros, SPR Therapeutics, and Saluda. R. Paicius is a consultant for St Jude Medical, Nevro, and Boston Scientific. J. Kramer, Burton, Johnson, and Kristina Davis are employees of St. Jude Medical. The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.

This study was sponsored by Spinal Modulation, LLC, a wholly owned company of St. Jude Medical.

and 2016, the year before the study came out, was the year Deer made $275k x 4 times, as his highest grossing year listed on propublica... Levy got $127k x4 in 2016...

St Jude "contributed" a lot of money to get this study published...

i do not do DRG.

fwiw, however, the biggest implanter in the area, that i would send CRPS referrals specifically for DRG, has flatly refused to do any more, for the aforementioned reason - too many side effects, and too little additional benefit over traditional stim. has told me to just do traditional stim myself.

um.... thats a review article - and the one study was one done by interventional spine doctors comparing DRG to traditional stim.

you did not list or comment about any of the observational studies, just made a poitn that was direct from the article.

really not adequate....

and 2016, the year before the study came out, was the year Deer made $275k x 4 times, as his highest grossing year listed on propublica... Levy got $127k x4 in 2016...

Interesting that your experienced implanter refuses further DRG

Reactions: 1 users
i do not do DRG.

really not adequate....

This was a review article, which “reviews” the published evidence.

If you are looking for multiple prospective RCTs about anything we do, you are looking in the wrong field…
i do not do DRG.

really not adequate....

An RCT and 39 small peer reviewed studies is nearly as good as it gets in this field of neuromodulation.

What is your impression of the published evidence for your most common scs system and specific indications?

Last edited:
...design me a DRG lead you place transforaminally and you will own the world...

View attachment 364935
Stimwave has always taught that you can place their lead transforaminally.

I never tried it however.

Stimwave has always taught that you can place their lead transforaminally.

I never tried it however.
i've always thought the stimwave approach made equal sense. when i brought this technique up to abbot, the reps just shrug their shoulders and say "that approach wasn't studied and therefore not indicated"

This was a review article, which “reviews” the published evidence.

If you are looking for multiple prospective RCTs about anything we do, you are looking in the wrong field…

An RCT and 39 small peer reviewed studies is nearly as good as it gets in this field of neuromodulation.

What is your impression of the published evidence for your most common scs system and specific indications?
first, that amount of "evidence" really means there is insufficient evidence.

logical fallacy. diversionary at best. discussion has nothing to do with what evidence i use, but whether DRG has evidence to justify its use.

we need to do better.

logical fallacy. diversionary at best. discussion has nothing to do with what evidence i use, but whether DRG has evidence to justify its use.

we need to do better.

we need to do better.
In a perfect world there would be multiple RCTs about everything we do. There’s not.

So my diversionary question remains. If you feel there isn’t enough evidence for this, do you think there’s enough for your system of choice?

my impression is that there is fair evidence for neuromodulation for failed back syndrome.

i alternate between St Jude and Medtronic for radicular pain, and Nevro for HF10 more for axial symptoms.

not a big fan of Boston Scientific marketing practices so i have chosen not to use.

In
my impression is that there is fair evidence for neuromodulation for failed back syndrome.

i alternate between St Jude and Medtronic for radicular pain, and Nevro for HF10 more for axial symptoms.

not a big fan of Boston Scientific marketing practices so i have chosen not to use.
my opinion, these are very similar strengths of evidence compared to drg

This tiny new Abbott battery that's rarely charged and offers both tonic and burst sounds promising.

Implant times with that little battery will be far shorter.

I simply do not get the same outcomes with Nevro that I read about in Senza.

I have a few pts that are SCS grand slams that have completely and utterly failed Nevro.

Like, post laminectomy one leg isolated L5 dermatome.

Would they have failed Abbott? Who knows...

This tiny new Abbott battery that's rarely charged and offers both tonic and burst sounds promising.

Implant times with that little battery will be far shorter.

I simply do not get the same outcomes with Nevro that I read about in Senza.

I have a few pts that are SCS grand slams that have completely and utterly failed Nevro.

Like, post laminectomy one leg isolated L5 dermatome.

Would they have failed Abbott? Who knows...
Did my first Abbott trial in a long time this week. Steers dramatically better compared to Nevro imo. Saw their new battery as well… Impressively tiny.

What’s wrong with Boston scientific marketing practice?

What’s wrong with Boston scientific marketing practice?
BSc has been dramatically less intrusive and annoying than all over device reps in my area. Not even close.

They're also far less expensive, so if you're an ASC owner take notice.

the most glaring example for me is that they are the company that changed the way we used to charge for stims by putting out 32 contact leads.

the most glaring example for me is that they are the company that changed the way we used to charge for stims by putting out 32 contact leads.
there's no difference in how we charge - same cpt code for all.

there's no difference in how we charge - same cpt code for all.
yes... previously it was by contact. could technically charge more for placing 1 lead.

weird, in my hospital facility, if we use their 8 contact lead or 16 contact lead, price is same

• Outpatient hospitals must use C codes when reporting devices to Medicare. In a hospital outpatient setting, a neurostimulator lead is reported using C1778 Lead, neurostimulator (implantable). This HCPCS Level II code is reported and reimbursed per lead (array), rather than per electrode (contact point).

BSc has been dramatically less intrusive and annoying than all over device reps in my area. Not even close.

They're also far less expensive, so if you're an ASC owner take notice.
That may be specific to your contract and area… we have a better deal with metronics and Abbott. We don’t carry Boston because they price gorge so much it creates a loss(they want to charge Hospital prices with ASC reimbursement)