Mysterious fatigue in a pro athlete's fiancee...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You forgot that they all are somehow all on high dose narcotics at home and/or seem to require IV narcotics to treat their “disease” in the ED.

I’ve always said that “Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome” is the male equivalent of fibromyalgia.

I've never seen cyclic vomiting syndrome but I see fibromyalgia allll the time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen cyclic vomiting syndrome but I see fibromyalgia allll the time.
I assume from your name that you're gas and not EM. That would explain why. I suspect the cannabinoid hyperemesis (cyclic vomiting) yokels are more or less confined to the realm of EM, GI and hospitalists.

Reactions: 1 user
I assume from your name that you're gas and not EM. That would explain why. I suspect the cannabinoid hyperemesis (cyclic vomiting) yokels are more or less confined to the realm of EM, GI and hospitalists.
Apparently chronic marijuana use makes people propofol resistant, So anesthesia gets their own marijuana awfulness

Members don't see this ad :)

But you'd think these people get surgery just like everyone else. And we get plenty of marijuana patients.

Also, cannabinoid hyperemesis has a cause (marijuana) and a treatment (stop using marijuana, maybe capsaicin cream) meanwhile fibromyalgia is just nonsense

But you'd think these people get surgery just like everyone else. And we get plenty of marijuana patients.

Also, cannabinoid hyperemesis has a cause (marijuana) and a treatment (stop using marijuana, maybe capsaicin cream) meanwhile fibromyalgia is just nonsense
Isn’t it fun trying to extubate a smoker after a surgery?

Non stop coughing fit for like 15 minutes straight

Gen Z is tic disorders or autism diagnosed on tiktok

Not sure how common this is in your population but I saw maybe 1-2/month when I was working in the ‘burbs.

22 year old shows up for “autism tic flare” just blurting out random things and rubbing a stuffed animal against their face.
I see my fair share of non-epileptic convulsions but even those patients understand that they don't have seizure seizures, they have anxiety attack seizures. I don't know where you live, but it seems ridiculous.

I have to come visit the ER forum every once in a while for a little comic relief and common sense from seeing outpatient psych patients all day. I've been flooded with ADHD evals and had an alarming number of patients tell me they think they're autistic after watching tik tok videos.
"Great news, you're not autistic, but you are wasting your life watching those videos."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome. I was so tempted to ask the patient if they saw Better Call Saul. They had an MRI done fairly recently, but I didn’t have the patience to explain.

I’m convinced most of these syndromes are 90% failure of coping mechanisms that may or may not lead to real physiologic changes.

Reactions: 3 users
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome. I was so tempted to ask the patient if they saw Better Call Saul. They had an MRI done fairly recently, but I didn’t have the patience to explain.

I’m convinced most of these syndromes are 90% failure of coping mechanisms that may or may not lead to real physiologic changes.

Uh, yeah dude.

I would love that population just to get a change of pace. I'm deep within the 30 year olds with legit STEMIs and diverticulitis community. The genetics are competing to kill them faster than the diet.

Over here (which I believe you know exactly where I mean) the amusing patient is the sickle trait (or, to be fair, SA with beta thalassemia) patient swearing they need their twice weekly Dilaudid infusion and I should ignore the Hg of 9. Also every patient with lupus has allergies to all anti-inflammatories.
So many systems have a protocol for sickle pain crisis that is supported by the heme peeps and EM - usually Morphine +/- intranasal fentanyl. Amazing how well it works once you tell the patient this is our system and we don’t offer an alternative. I really wish we could heard the cats and get one of those but out the damn heme docs love dilaudid.

I’ve always said that “Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome” is the male equivalent of fibromyalgia.

CVS has an organic source though: MJ.
Fibromyalgia is exclusively psychogenic. Hence, the need for SSRI.

Reactions: 1 users
Why are we having this epidemic of ME/CFS/POTS/MCAS? Social media? Some kind of collective post modern lassitude? What is going on

We generally fix their acute CHS nonsense, and they then lie to you about how much and how often they smoke.

Bro: When was the last time you saw an actively vomiting patient and it hadn't already been worked up and down?

- the entire syndrome could just be depression (I know you already touched on this)

- even if its not "all" depression, depression about having the syndrome is always co-morbid.

bonus:

- 2 weeks of celexa is curative in nearly all cases

- prescribing, suggesting, or even vaguely implying using celexa as treatment leads to negative satisfaction scores in nearly all cases.
Doesn’t depression fit his fake-trend diagnosis criteria, too?

Doesn’t depression fit his fake-trend diagnosis criteria, too?
my friend..... check the meme.

80c0mr.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users