MyERas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgo32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In MyERas application, do we have to fill that "reason for leaving" for every work we do? for example: even a 1 week clinical observer-ship.

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC (it was a while back that I filled this out) it was optional. So I didn't do it.
Thank you for answering. So, does it matter to programs if we don't fill that out? I've done clinical observerships and volunteer work and that is just for a day or so. I don't know what should I write in that as "1 day in each". I don't like it like that. I didn't match last year so want to make my application looks better than last year.

I'll tag @NotAProgDirector for his input. But personally, I would expect the amount of time that you spent on any given activity to be a core part of your description regardless of whether you check that box (which honestly I think is pretty silly, because the "reason for leaving" is usually something unhelpful like "the experience ended"). Most of the time applicants are more than happy to expound upon the numerous hours and days they spent on an activity, so if that information is missing from your description that would raise my eyebrow.

I think the issue underlying your question is whether it's worth putting these minor activities on your CV at all. There are two problems:
1) We're not dumb, so if someone has 30 extracurricular activities we can tell that you probably are inflating your CV by including some things that probably don't merit being on your application.
2) Keep in mind that if something is on your CV, that is an invitation to be asked about it in an interview. When you have a bunch of garbage on your CV, it's hard to tell which experiences are the truly important ones, and that raises the chances that you're going to be asked about something in your interview that you really would rather not have come up. At best, it's going to waste your valuable time in the interview, and at worst it will expose that you inflated your CV. Keep in mind the goal isn't just to get an interview, it's to have a successful match, and even if inflating your CV may help you get one extra interview, I think there is a decent chance it hurts in the long run.

Only you can decide what is really important enough to make it on your CV. From the sounds of it, you probably need to include everything that counts as clinical exposure on your CV, but you may wish to consider whether other one-day events really are worth including or if they can be consolidated. As I said, I think you need to include the timeframe over which you spent in each activity, but I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that if an experience is very short (i.e. 1 day), it's almost not worth listing on your application.

I have seen some apps in the past where candidates lumped a bunch of short volunteer activities into one listing. This works better if there's a theme to tie it all together. So, for example, if you worked in 5 different homeless chelters each for a short period of time, it might be better to list it once and combine.

Reviewing your old posts, I see that you've applied twice to the match. Two years ago you did not yet have a CS score and got one interview. Last year you had a complete app on day 1 and got no interviews. Your scores are 212/221/P. You haven't mentioned if these are first attempts. You graduated 2014, have not mentioned which school - I am assuming not one of the Carib's or you would have taken the USMLE's while in school, rather than afterwards. Also don't know if your LOR's are from US experience or not.

Bottom line is that if you don't do something different, you'll get the same result. Adding one day volunteer stuff isn't going to do it. You need some sort of US experience that generates an LOR -- but that may be impossible with COVID. You're in a very tough spot.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that if an experience is very short (i.e. 1 day), it's almost not worth listing on your application.

I have seen some apps in the past where candidates lumped a bunch of short volunteer activities into one listing. This works better if there's a theme to tie it all together. So, for example, if you worked in 5 different homeless chelters each for a short period of time, it might be better to list it once and combine.

Reviewing your old posts, I see that you've applied twice to the match. Two years ago you did not yet have a CS score and got one interview. Last year you had a complete app on day 1 and got no interviews. Your scores are 212/221/P. You haven't mentioned if these are first attempts. You graduated 2014, have not mentioned which school - I am assuming not one of the Carib's or you would have taken the USMLE's while in school, rather than afterwards. Also don't know if your LOR's are from US experience or not.

Bottom line is that if you don't do something different, you'll get the same result. Adding one day volunteer stuff isn't going to do it. You need some sort of US experience that generates an LOR -- but that may be impossible with COVID. You're in a very tough spot.
What different should I do to make my application better? Due to covid, it’s hard to get opportunities. Is it useless to apply if I haven’t done anything new?

What different should I do to make my application better? Due to covid, it’s hard to get opportunities. Is it useless to apply if I haven’t done anything new?
If your app and/or application strategy is unchanged, then yes. It's a waste of money on your part.

What's different now? Did anything change on your CV that makes you a stronger candidate? Did you under-apply last year and just need a broader list of programs? Or did you apply to literally every IM and FM program last year and still not get any invitations?

If your YOG is already 5+ years out, you have mediocre board scores and 2 failed application seasons, the likelihood of you matching, regardless of what you do going forward is vanishingly small.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I agree. If you haven't done anything truly meaningful (from a medical training perspective) from last year to this year, your results may be the same. In the best of times, getting some real clinical experience is difficult -- with COVID, it's probably impossible.

It would be easier to advise you with a full breakdown of your background -- where did you go to school, why the delay before taking the USMLE's, have you failed them, what US clinical experience do you have, and what you've been doing since graduation. With that, perhaps we can be more specific.

There is one "bright spot" in this for you. The visa process has been a nightmare this year, and due to CS being on hold, the new ECFMG rules are going to put some new applicants in the pipeline at a disadvantage. It's possible that some programs may be willing to consider US IMG's who don't need a visa over FMG's, and this might open some opportunities for you. Although the situation is horrible for some people, it may actually help you. Hence, one more push this year might be a reasonable option.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you under-apply last year and just need a broader list of programs? Or did you apply to literally every IM and FM program last year and still not get any invitations?

Honestly. first time I applied around in 40 programs and last year in 100. I know people say to apply broadly but if I don't meet the criteria, what's the purpose to apply? I applied to only those where I was meeting the scores criteria. this year my number will be the same as I can't afford 300 programs. I know my chances are slim but it doesn't say no at all. you can't stop trying I believe.[/QUOTE]

Honestly. first time I applied around in 40 programs and last year in 100. I know people say to apply broadly but if I don't meet the criteria, what's the purpose to apply? I applied to only those where I was meeting the scores criteria. this year my number will be the same as I can't afford 300 programs. I know my chances are slim but it doesn't say no at all. you can't stop trying I believe.
Are you going to apply to the same 100 programs that didn't interview you last year? If so, don't bother as it will be a donation to AAMC.

At a certain point, you either make it, or you have to give up though.

Are you going to apply to the same 100 programs that didn't interview you last year? If so, don't bother as it will be a donation to AAMC.

At a certain point, you either make it, or you have to give up though.
I’ve started my programs research again and will see how many I get. I know what you are saying and thank you for giving me advice. I always see in forums, students apply to 200-300 programs but not all programs meet the criteria. So is it wise to apply to programs who don’t meet your criteria but apply anyways to try your luck?

I’ve started my programs research again and will see how many I get. I know what you are saying and thank you for giving me advice. I always see in forums, students apply to 200-300 programs but not all programs meet the criteria. So is it wise to apply to programs who don’t meet your criteria but apply anyways to try your luck?
IF a program explicitly says certain criteria and you don’t meet them, then no it isn’t worth applying to those.

I think gutonc’s point was that if you already applied to literally every program that might accept you last year and you couldn’t get an interview, then there is no point in applying again unless you have something new on your CV that might make a difference. You certainly can try, but it feels like your time and money could be better spent either finding an experience that might help your application (admittedly extremely difficult right now) or moving on with your life. Frankly, this isn’t game of luck where off you try hard enough or give it enough tries that you’re bound to be successful eventually—there are some fatal flaws in you’re application that are insurmountable without significant changes. I know that is difficult to hear, but it’s the truth.

Reactions: 1 users
IF a program explicitly says certain criteria and you don’t meet them, then no it isn’t worth applying to those.

I think gutonc’s point was that if you already applied to literally every program that might accept you last year and you couldn’t get an interview, then there is no point in applying again unless you have something new on your CV that might make a difference. You certainly can try, but it feels like your time and money could be better spent either finding an experience that might help your application (admittedly extremely difficult right now) or moving on with your life. Frankly, this isn’t game of luck where off you try hard enough or give it enough tries that you’re bound to be successful eventually—there are some fatal flaws in you’re application that are insurmountable without significant changes. I know that is difficult to hear, but it’s the truth.
Thank you :) Yes I understand that ;(

Hello,
I am learning much from this thread. Also an IMG.

I would love to know how "accepted publications" are viewed by programs as compared to "published abstracts/articles" in the ERAS application.
Do they have the same weight or not?

Thank you very much for your response(s).

Hello,
I am learning much from this thread. Also an IMG.

I would love to know how "accepted publications" are viewed by programs as compared to "published abstracts/articles" in the ERAS application.
Do they have the same weight or not?

Thank you very much for your response(s).
Yes viewed the same more or less, assuming it truly has been accepted and isn’t just “submitted.”

Yes viewed the same more or less, assuming it truly has been accepted and isn’t just “submitted.”

Thank you.

Yes, they are accepted, to be published in October.

One more question please :giggle:. What about accepted posters which will later be published after they are presented? Do I put them under "Posters" or under "Accepted abstracts"?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Yes, they are accepted, to be published in October.

One more question please :giggle:. What about accepted posters which will later be published after they are presented? Do I put them under "Posters" or under "Accepted abstracts"?

Thank you.
Sigh. There are so may different options that essentially mean the same thing.

I'd probably say accepted abstract. But regardless of where you put it, people will understand what you mean.

Sigh. There are so may different options that essentially mean the same thing.

I'd probably say accepted abstract. But regardless of where you put it, people will understand what you mean.

Oh ok, thank you.