My Stats.. Could use experienced opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reesetee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been working to get into a DPT program since 2012 with a no luck and could use some opinions. I want to see what you all think good next-steps could be given my situation. Here are my stats:

cgpa: 2.98 (for 253 credit hours including a masters program)
pgpa: 3.4 (began sciences in 2012 so many are over 5 years old now)
last 60 gpa: 3.77 (for 63 credit hours - mostly graduate hours with my internship being 6 - that's why the odd #)
GRE: 146Q & 145V, 3.5aw 2015? and 4.0aw 2014?
100+ inpatient hours and 180 outpatient around 2013-2015

Its been a long hard process for me and because of that I needed to take some personal time before I could begin preparing to apply again. I know my stats aren't terrible and I had to complete a masters degree because it was so hard to raise my cgpa, but I want to see what you guys think will help. Obviously GRE will make a huge difference and I plan to take the in-person Manhattan course this spring (any suggestions on best gre courses to take would help too) and get some fresh hours over summer. I'll retake classes if necessary but I'm hoping I can get my application in this fall and get a spot.

Anything else I should focus on?? Any similar experiences that worked out well?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have any C's in your prereqs, I would retake them at a community college since that would be a cheaper route. For GRE, you do want to get at least a combined score of 300. My suggestion is to look up gregmat on youtube, watch all of his videos, and email him if you have any trouble. He may not have a lot of subscribers, but don't let that fool you. He is a damn good tutor and is willing to help others for free if you just ask him.

If you have any C's in your prereqs, I would retake them at a community college since that would be a cheaper route. For GRE, you do want to get at least a combined score of 300. My suggestion is to look up gregmat on youtube, watch all of his videos, and email him if you have any trouble. He may not have a lot of subscribers, but don't let that fool you. He is a damn good tutor and is willing to help others for free if you just ask him.

I'll definitely look him up... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You must get your GRE up to 150+ 150+ for each section. I would really focus on that, outside of that the only reason you most likely haven't gotten in is school selection. Apply to schools who only look at last 60 units and pre-req, end of the day you will still be a PT so be smart about the schools you apply to. I got in to 2 schools with a 2.93cgpa and 3.3pgpa, 154V, 158Q 4.0 writing and 3000 PT aide hours. Best of luck!

You must get your GRE up to 150+ 150+ for each section. I would really focus on that, outside of that the only reason you most likely haven't gotten in is school selection. Apply to schools who only look at last 60 units and pre-req, end of the day you will still be a PT so be smart about the schools you apply to. I got in to 2 schools with a 2.93cgpa and 3.3pgpa, 154V, 158Q 4.0 writing and 3000 PT aide hours. Best of luck!

I did apply to schools looking at the last 60 hours but as you mentioned my GRE scores were probably a deal breaker for many of them. What schools did you get accepted to and decide on attending? Our gpa stats are similar which give me hope. Thanks for chiming in!

I did apply to schools looking at the last 60 hours but as you mentioned my GRE scores were probably a deal breaker for many of them. What schools did you get accepted to and decide on attending? Our gpa stats are similar which give me hope. Thanks for chiming in!

I got in to MGH and Tennessee State University. I go to TSU, based that decision on the opportunity to become a Grad assistant and gain in-state tuition which is super cheap. Boston would have been so expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
I got in to MGH and Tennessee State University. I go to TSU, based that decision on the opportunity to become a Grad assistant and gain in-state tuition which is super cheap. Boston would have been so expensive.

Understood. I'm hoping I can get into a state school too - preferably UIC - but hopefully I'll have some options. Thank you again cmquin12 for the information.. it's much appreciated!

What's your theory behind this? I never considered it but it seems like a good idea.

Your chances of getting accepted are higher since the pool of applicants are a lot lower. I know every school is different, but here are the stats for Midwestern (IL)... about 20 people applied as early decision. 12 people got selected for interviews. 10 out of the 12 got accepted. That’s a 50% chance of getting in. In contrast to the regular decision- about 1000 people apply and there are only 56 seats available. 10 of which are taken by early decision candidates.

The downside about early decision is that you are only allowed to apply to one PT program. PTCAS will not let you apply to any other programs. If you get accepted you have to take the spot. If you don’t, PTCAS will allow you to apply to other schools after September.... In my opinion that’s actually an advantage. It shows that your passionate and committed to that school.

Reactions: 1 user
What's your theory behind this? I never considered it but it seems like a good idea.

If you don’t have a certain school in mind, I would start researching now, go to open houses, etc. I also made myself a spreadsheet with average GPA/GRE acceptances and other important info for other schools (if I didn’t get into Midwestern). I honestly thought I wouldn’t get in coz my GRE scores were embarrassingly low. A lot lower than yours.

If you don’t have a certain school in mind, I would start researching now, go to open houses, etc. I also made myself a spreadsheet with average GPA/GRE acceptances and other important info for other schools (if I didn’t get into Midwestern). I honestly thought I wouldn’t get in coz my GRE scores were embarrassingly low. A lot lower than yours.

Okay that makes sense. I read some other threads about it after you mentioned it and it seems like an all or nothing thing but at this point, I'm not being very picky about where I go (as long as its not too expensive). But thank you for that information. I'm definitely gonna look into it and into Midwestern specifically. Midwestern was one of the schools I applied to a few years ago with no luck. So we'll see what I come up with. Thank you again!