**** my score came and don't look so good

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BasilDancingCheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got 29.
Ps: 11, V: 8 (expected), Bs: 10 (wtf??)

I don't know what happened.

I have 4.0 Biochemistry and psychology
1 summer of shadowing
Volunteering - a lot
Working since 15
Currently tutor - Orgo
Immigrant

do I have a chance? or should I retake?

I was expecting 32 (that's what I was scoring on the mcat) Can't improve verbal (slow reader).

Your help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was expecting 32 (that's what I was scoring on the mcat)

So basically, you scored within your range. Some people get lucky and score above their range, some don't. -3 is pretty standard, frankly. I scored -3 from my practice MCATs.

Reactions: 1 user
Got 29.

1 summer of shadowing
Volunteering - a lot
Working since 15
Currently tutor - Orgo
Immigrant

I was expecting 32 (that's what I was scoring on the mcat) Can't improve verbal (slow reader).
Yes, you have a chance. Particularly if: 1) you have really terrific ECs (not enough detail to tell) 2) you have a lenient state school and some less-selective target schools, 3) you represent a demographic that is not well represented in med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote that u retake.

You definitely can improve your verbal score. Listen to me here, I DID NOT THE WHOLE PASSAGE A SINGLE TIME. I would get the main idea of each paragraph (usually can do this by just reading the first and last sentence, sometimes you need to read one or two more). Once you know the main idea of each paragraph, you'll know which paragraph to go back to after you read a question. Once you get good at this it's just as good as reading the whole passage, and it's significantly faster. Doing this I raised my verbal average 5 points, got a 12 on the real thing.

Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Got 29.

1 summer of shadowing
Volunteering - a lot
Working since 15
Currently tutor - Orgo
Immigrant

What state are you from? I had the same MCAT (29) and GPA (4.0 - psych major) and I was accepted to 7 medical schools in Texas as an in-state resident. I did have several ECs that boosted my application (4 yrs as a hospice volunteer, 1.5 yrs as ER scribe, study abroad for a semester in Shanghai, etc), but a 29 is not the end of the world, depending on several factors that others have already mentioned (your ECs, state of residence, URM?)

I guess I can go deeper into my EC's
Ressidence IL
Shadowing: 40ish Hrs with pediatrician
Hospital: 200+ Hours wtih 50+ hrs at emergency
Board member at 2 Volunteering clubs
- Designing volunteering activities
Research 1 : Neuroscience/Psychology (Cont)
Research 2: Biology (Cont)
Undergraduate TA position: (Running a small class)
Work: Orgo tutor
Past work: on campus Job
*Have been working all college and high school

You'll be fine. Just apply and try. A 29 isn't that statistically different from a 30. Also it sounds like you have good ECs.

Do not retake... invest in MSAR and apply to schools whose median scores are close to yours. For example, MCW. You're fine for any DO program, including mine.

Got 29.

1 summer of shadowing
Volunteering - a lot
Working since 15
Currently tutor - Orgo
Immigrant

I vote that you retake. I was in the exact same boat as you. Got a 29 first time around with a LOW verbal score. Spent 4 months improving my verbal by reading random boring material and really practicing a strategy that worked for me. Improved my verbal score by 5 points and ended up with a balanced 30+ score. It required a lot of patience and dedication, but it has paid off now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question: If I do retake the exam it will be in late July, can I still apply with this score?
I am just afraid I will get screened out with the low BS and Verbal

Also wanted to thank everyone for your help! Much appreciated!

Quick question: If I do retake the exam it will be in late July, can I still apply with this score?
I am just afraid I will get screened out with the low BS and Verbal

Also wanted to thank everyone for your help! Much appreciated!
Some schools will hold your application until the second score is in, which means your app wouldn't be looked at until late August/early September, at minimum.

Jeeze, Basil, better be careful on the MCAT VR section

"You're fine for any DO program, including mine"

Ok! I am for sure applying to DO as well as MD

Edit: Also, I meant to ask for your school, but I realized that it won't be appropriate to ask someone of their school on the internet.

You may get into A medical school with a V8 but no guarantees which one.

So basically, you scored within your range. Some people get lucky and score above their range, some don't. -3 is pretty standard, frankly. I scored -3 from my practice MCATs.
Yup. I was averaging about 34 and scored a 31. I'd say a drop is probably more common than an increase from the average based on anecdotal evidence. It think nerves and the foreign environment of the testing center can hurt a score easily.

Just make sure to apply broadly and early! That is like 50% of the admissions game. Good luck.