MD & DO How do i look as an applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jake15243

Reaction score
Hello everyone I wanted to know how I’d look as an applicant to people here since most people I talk to don’t know much about med school apps lol

Im URM, first gen, low income, mexican male and I project that i’ll have around 2000ish hours of clinical experience as an EMT, about 400 hours volunteering across different hospitals, and about 70 hours of shadowing experience by the time I start med school.

My GPA won’t be that great by the time I apply, about 3.47~3.5 around there. (good upward trend) I haven’t taken the MCAT yet and will be taking it March 2024. I didn’t place much importance on my GPA when starting college because I had no idea what I wanted to do so my first couple semesters hurt me.

I plan on taking a gap year because I transitioned into pre med my junior year so I was a little behind with all the
extracurriculars and what not.

So when I apply should I think MD or DO? and whats a safe mcat score to get accepted with my stats?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Please let us know when you take the MCAT and receive your official score.

You should aim for as high as possible, but there is no way of telling what that ballpark might be until you’ve taken multiple full-length practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks y’all. Will make a new post once I get an MCAT score.