My Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time looking at this site, but now I have a lot of time on my hands. Some people seem to have had too much time on their hands for quite a while now. Relax. Hopefully this is the last time I'll be here too because this ordeal is about over. Anyways, thought I'd share....
1)Maricopa
2)Orlando
3)UNC
4)Arizona
5)Denver
6)Maryland
7)Vanderbilt
8)EVMS
9)Christiana
10)Wake Forest
11)Palmetto
12)Emory
13)Virginia
14)Florida

Ranked everywhere because they were all liveable and I did significant weeding before I accepted interviews. Laterman, hope to see some of you next year.

Members don't see this ad.

So, here goes the rank list.
This list is dedicated to all of you out there who are geographically limited. As you can tell, it's NY or bust.
1) Kings County
2) NYP
3) Jacobi
4) Mt. Sinai
5) SLR
6) North Shore
7) LIJ

Here's my list

1 U Illinois COM-Chicago
2 Hennepin Co Med Ctr-MN
3 Univ Health Ctr of Pittsburgh-PA
4 Maricopa Med Ctr-AZ
5 Ohio State Univ Med Ctr-OH
6 Advocate Christ Med Ctr-IL
7 U New Mexico SOM
8 Med Coll Wisconsin Aff Hosps
9 Indiana Univ Sch Of Med
10 Loma Linda University-CA
11 U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
12 Univ Hosp Cincinnati-OH
13 Resurrection Med Ctr-IL
14 N Shore U-Manhasset-NY
15 Cook County Hospital-IL

I had the hardest time making this list, must of changed the order 3-4 times a day, I would be happy at any of these programs, but I ended up ranking based on location given fact that I am single (haven't found my whorish pixie with the virgin heart), and my gut feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, here is my list, from an osteo applicant:

1. Yale University
2. University of Connecticut
3. Medical College of Georgia
4. University of South Carolina - Palmetto
5. St. Vincent's - Toledo
6. Maine Medical Center
7. East Carolina University
8. Regions Hospital - St. Paul

Butt cold temperatures this winter kept moving the southern programs up.

eemer - nice list!
i met you at jacobi.
good luck

blackcat, thanks for the encouragement.
good luck with everything.

My Rank list:

(1) Advocate Christ
(2) Resurrection Medical Center
(3) University of Illinois - Chicago
(4) University of Chicago
(5) St. Luke's Roosevelt - NY
(6) Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak, MI
(7) Maricopa County - AZ
(8) Emory
(9) Henry Ford - Detroit
(10) Indiana Univ.
(11) Medical College of Wisconsin
(12) U. of Missouri - Kansas City
(13) Cook County
(14) Northwestern
(15) George Washington

Did not rank: Wayne State - Grace/Sinai, St. John

1 U New Mexico SOM
2 Ohio State Univ Med Ctr-OH
3 Christiana Care-DE
4 U Hlth Sys E Carolina-NC
5 Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC
6 Univ Mass Med School
7 Resurrection Med Ctr-IL
8 Univ of MO-KC Programs
9 Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY
10 Michigan St Univ Kalamazoo
11 U Michigan Hosp- MI
12 Cook County- IL
13 Wash U- IL
14 Emory Univ SOM-GA

These lists seem so random to me. Including mine.

1. Highland
2. St. Luke's-Rooselvelt
3. Cook County
4. Northwestern
5. Mt. Sinai (NYC)
6. Boston U.
7. USC
8. Einstein-BI (NYC)
9. Hennepin
10. Resurrection
11. WashU

I have been looking through all the rank lists, and no one has ranked the UI-Peoria program. Does anyone have any information about this program, and why is no one ranking it? Thanks!

Peoria is a great program...and the attendings are great as well. Remember, many times, people are attracted to "big names" and attractive locations...Peoria lacks both. But trust me, it is good (did a rotation there as a 4th year).
The RRC has strict control over all EM residencies for "quality assurance" . Within these strict guidelines, criteria are written and must be followed. Many times the lesser known residencies can be the biggest "find".

Is it me, or are Resurrection and St. Luke's-Roosevelt the two most commonly ranked programs to date on the lists posted? Granted, SLR tends to be ranked in everyone's top 3, while Resurrection often falls in the bottom 5.

My theory is that Resurrection, after scrambling to fill 5 of its 13 slots last year, was prudent (not prudish, like certain virgin pixie ******) this year and invited gobs of people to interview. They likely ranked many more people this year, as well.

Thoughts from those who interviewed at SLR and/or Res?

Osteopathic applicant; 215 on step 1, 241 on step 2:

1. UNM
2. OHSU
3. Med College of Wisconsin
4. Akron Gen
5. Duke
6. York
7. Metro
8. St. Lukes/Bethlehem
9. University of Illinois, Peoria
10. Univ of Texas, Houston
11. Texas Tech
12. Med College of Georgia
13. Geisinger

Members don't see this ad :)
22 applications, 11 interviews

1. Arizona
2. Vanderbilt
3. Carolinas
4. Hennepin
5. Virginia
6. Wake Forest
7. Mayo
8. UMKC
9. Peoria
10. Advocate Christ

DNR---Virginia Commonwealth

I interviewed at both SLR in NY and Resurrection in Chicago, so here's my opinion.

The two programs are nothing alike. SLR is a solid program with excellent residents and a PD (sorry to disappoint) who has been trained at the toughest program in NY. Lanoix may be a little abraisive to talk to, but he has a great vision for his program and is a solid PD. Rotations at SLR are challenging and the residents take a lot of responsibility for their patients.

Resurrection is a joke. The high points of my tour were the cafeteria and the gym in the hospital. Now, no offense, but do you really think it is important to show me that your residents work out during their shift? The residents there were weak and lazy and the PD told me point blank he didn't want smart people in his program. He said he would rather mediocre students who he could mold, rather than ambitious, educated students who "might cause him problems."

Sorry to sound harsh, I have been keeping that info about Res to myself in case i had a different opinion than everyone else.

Eemer, relax, I don't think you stepped on anyone's toes. Honest opinions are treasured on this site. It's why we come to this forum: to speak freely about our interview experiences.

I agree with you in general about Res. Their primary focus was to be laid-back, it seemed. To me, that's a positive.

However, I think you misinterpreted the tour of the gym. No one said that residents work out at the gym during ED shifts - they're too busy. No, they're not swamped like people at Lincoln, but they don't have time to leave the ED and work out.

In fact, a friend who interviewed there asked the tour guide resident if they ever had time on off-service rotations to work out at the Res gym, and he said, "Well, technically there's enough time on some off-service rotations, but you're too tired/hungry to work out."

Of course, I'm getting all this info secondhand from a friend who interviewed there.

Now that ROLs are in, I hope no one is still paranoid about PDs reading this site. (Hell, even before ROLs were in, I was flinging truths, no matter how painful, in every post - PDs be damned.)

:clap:

Desperado, I hope that the three you know of includes yourself. I might start to worry if I thought there were four people that ranked Arizona number 1!

Good luck and I'll let you know next week...that is, if I can still find my computer after Thursday night.

Yea, its you, me, and one other guy from my school. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, they only interviewed 45, half as many as most programs, so our odds are pretty high.

great ROLs; though I wish I could have seen more (~5000 views, only 65 posts). I want to wish all best of luck on match day. I hope no one here (or anywhere) goes unmatched - I believe EM should be a specialty that anyone who wants it badly enough can match into (I hate when people in my med school say its too competitive for them).

And the match is just the beginning of our careers. I ended up at a much less prestigious school than I hoped to attend. But I took advantage of the situation and opportunity and managed to get practically every interview I applied for. What we do in our residency (and after) is much more important than where we do our residency.

Best Wishes.

That's quite nice of you, flEM...

I do wish everyone on here lots of luck. It has been a REAL fun... 4-5 months... I still remember all the logons during when interview offers were first being sent out... ah that was a fun time.

Good luck tomorrow and on Thursday!

If I match into my #1 choice I'll show you all my D's.

Q

Quinn & others, how did things turn out? Are you glad you are where you are? Was it close to the top of your list? Anyone have any tidbits "if you could do it all over"?

Thanks for any feedback!!!!

As I have said in other posts, I am very happy at where I am. It was not one of my first choices when deciding where to interview; in fact, I was going to cancel it when I received other "more-wanted" places (which I never did). Once I interviewed there, however, I was definately glad that I did not cancel it, and actually used it as my comparison for other interviews. This place quickly climbed to #1, and stayed there. So, to sum up:
before interviews - never heard of it, and didn't know much about it
during interviews - liked it a lot and used it to compare other places
after interviews - kept it as #1
matched at it and am extremely happy that I did :D .

Keep an open mind and suprising events may unfold, or as Sublime sings: "Once in a while you get shown in the light In the strangest of places if you look at it right."

thanks a million! :) I'm hoping I didn't decline any of those hidden gems, but I can't physically do much more than the 14 we have scheduled.

Everything has worked out great. I was a bit of a grumpy intern, but I am a happy senior. I think most every program will provide a more-than-adequate preparation for the real workd. Speaking of the real world, the job search is filled with opportunity and the promise of a new and exciting tax bracket.

turtle said:
......or as Sublime sings: "Once in a while you get shown in the light In the strangest of places if you look at it right."

Ahh, you kids. Love Sublime and this song Scarlett Begonias. This tune is actually one of the classics by the Grateful Dead, lovingly covered 20 years later by the late Bradley. :) This lesson should not be forgotten during the next 3 years: stop every now and then to listen to some good music that will make you tap your feet and carry you away from the inevitable troubles of residency.

fauci said:
Osteopathic applicant; 215 on step 1, 241 on step 2:

1. UNM
2. OHSU
3. Med College of Wisconsin
4. Akron Gen
5. Duke
6. York
7. Metro
8. St. Lukes/Bethlehem
9. University of Illinois, Peoria
10. Univ of Texas, Houston
11. Texas Tech
12. Med College of Georgia
13. Geisinger

hey fauci.

what school are you from.

LECOM 2006

My stats: Fair bit of research, top quartile of my class, Step 1: High 220s, Step 2: 230s.

Rank List:

#1 U Michigan. I liked the program director, and Ann Arbor seems like a great place to hang out and stay young. Long interview day, and a lot of repeat information, but the program was impressive. The two centers arrangement is a great combination of community and academic environments, in my opinion. You know that "tingly" feeling people talk about? I got it here. The interview day was a little long, but impressive nonetheless. Not sure if I really care about flying on the helicopter, but they have a strong flight program, the chief we met with was in a flight suit the whole day. Great physical plant. Good mix of young and old faculty. This is my top choice subject to me not being scared off by the 4 year program, but right now I’m trying to rank based on gut feeling without any consideration to 3 vs. 4 year. I reserve the right to change!

#2 Duke. The day started with "forum with the PD" which I had been told about on the trail. Was somebody trying to scare me off? It was relaxed (maybe they loosened up from feedback in the past?) and all it was a discussion on various topics led by the PD involving about half the interviewees (they divided us into two groups). Obviously, it was a way for the PD to get to know all the candidates in a relatively quick time frame, and to see how we all interacted with other people. It wasn't confrontational. I got to kind of "settle in" with some other nervous applicants, and i was much more relaxed by the time the interviews came around (which were relaxed anyway ... I didn't expect this at Duke!). I’m not worried about any “kinks”… If I match here, I’ll be the 5th class thru. The current residents say that things are established, and I battered them pretty hard at the dinner and lunch etc. to try and tease out any discord. New ED opening early to mid 2006; Young and energetic faculty with lots of great teaching so I’m told. Joint conferences with UNC sounded cool because twice as many contacts! I have been to Chapel HIll/Durham before so i know the patient population is a mix of inner city (Durham) and rich university admin types, so you get a good mix of violent/penetrating trauma and bread and butter elderly emerg med! The night before was a really good time with >50% of the residents in the program attending the event!

#3 UNC. To be honest, I had a hard time choosing between Duke and UNC, so it might flip flop yet. Mainly, the deciding factor was trauma since Duke gets the pathology that goes along with the low socioeconomic population in inner city Durham, cool for me because I’m a bit of a trauma junkie. On the other hand, UNC is the state burn center, very cool, but right now I’m not placing that much emphasis on burns. Interview, again, of the non-confrontation variety. I felt extremely welcome by the other residents, and have no doubt I would be happy here. Living arrangement wise, this one and Duke are going to be about the same as the Chapel Hill-Durham area is pretty much a continuum, and residents are a mix of renters and homeowners. Joint conferences as mentioned above, so lots of contacts. I am prioritizing this because I think it will help when it comes to getting a top job at the end. Physical plant pretty good.

Best of the rest:

#4: Denver
#5: UNM
#6: Ohio State

Still waiting to hear from Carolinas, and a few others including Arizona programs.

Good luck!

eemer said:
I interviewed at both SLR in NY and Resurrection in Chicago, so here's my opinion.

The two programs are nothing alike. SLR is a solid program with excellent residents and a PD (sorry to disappoint) who has been trained at the toughest program in NY. Lanoix may be a little abraisive to talk to, but he has a great vision for his program and is a solid PD. Rotations at SLR are challenging and the residents take a lot of responsibility for their patients.

Resurrection is a joke. The high points of my tour were the cafeteria and the gym in the hospital. Now, no offense, but do you really think it is important to show me that your residents work out during their shift? The residents there were weak and lazy and the PD told me point blank he didn't want smart people in his program. He said he would rather mediocre students who he could mold, rather than ambitious, educated students who "might cause him problems."

Sorry to sound harsh, I have been keeping that info about Res to myself in case i had a different opinion than everyone else.

:p I think it is so amusing that some people apparantly find Richard Lanoix abrassive. We all joke about how 'warm fuzzy' he is with the residents. Almost to a fault. While we usually include him in our annual graduation roast, he really is an amazing PD- a definate resident advocate.

And you guys really shouldn't worry about PD's seeing your rank list. I see several people who have interviewed here and I wouldn't be able to tell from the aliases who anyone was!

Regarding hindsight: I can honestly say that I would rerank SLR first over and over and over again. I absolutely love it. I love my co-workers, my attendings (okay maybe there is one or two I don't *love*), and all the other stuff rocks as well. I had never heard of the program when I came to interview and it was by far way ahead of any other program I visited. I love it so much I am staying on for two years as a Clinical Research and Education Fellow. :D :love: