My "race"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby_chamo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family is puerto rican. My mom, grandmother, etc were all born there. I was born in the united states, and my dad is an american.

I am hispanic right? My friends always call me a "****." :)

Members don't see this ad.

He sounds like a middle eastern native american to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking Eskimo...eh, ya win some ya lose some.

Yes you are if you still need some verification. The URM is defined as 50% total ethnicity. You can prove that with your Mom. No pun intended.

oh yeah. It's not a race. Race is white or whatever. Hispanic is an ethnicity.

URM for the purposes of preferential treatment in college admissions is not defined as 50% ethnicity. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Well, either way I am 50%. I look pretty spanish, but my "white" blood shows, of course. My mother and grandmother both moved to the US and I was raised pretty much "american"-ized.

What do you mean about preferential treatment for URM?

apparently Arabic isnt a minority according to my counselor, last I seen i was the only arab in most of my science classes =/.

Dude if you are 50% milk it for all that it is worth.

In regards to what they are saying about preferential treatment of URMs, I don't know what you are talking about. It may help in the tiniest bit when applying because you can sneak in with a little lower MCAT or GPA, but in the long run you are still getting worked just like any of your classmates.

If someone has one parent who is black and another who is Hispanic or white, I think they should still be able to say they're Hispanic and black or black. At most medical schools only a CDIB(Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood) is needed to be considered Native American. I know of a person who had one that was 1/16 Native American and could qualify. I don't think it is a big deal.

Check all categories that are significant to you. It is doubtful that 1/16 is significant in your background.