My plan..realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bradyfan123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still new to this whole thing. I was curious if my plan sounds smart or stupid.
I'm graduating HS this year and I figured that I would go to UMass Boston and get my Pre-Med there. Than apply to NECO since I want to become an optometrist. Any holes in this plan?

Members don't see this ad.

that a pretty broad plan...cant really say that i c ne holes in that plan...but if u had specifics on what u plan to do...u mite get a better answer

Haha, you got that right, its a broad plan! :laugh: Heck, I'll throw mine in: I'm graduating from NOVA in 2011, plan to get hired by NASA as a space optometrist in 2011/2012, and then I plan to be on the first mission to colonize Mars circa 2015. Any holes in my plan?

I'm in... lets do this, fonzie.

To the OP - start looking at offices where you can gain some experience. Working, shadowing, volunteering. I think the best way to actually learn about to the profession - the people, the clinic, the business, the politics - is to surround yourself in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yea. :laugh: sorry guys for not being specific. anyone attend UMass boston to get their pre-med?

Trust me, you won't have specifics until you're in college, a lot of things can change. If you KNOW this is what you want to do, you'd probably have a better plan with more details, so I'd say theres your hole, and its a pretty big one. Start college, make sure you do well in your classes and get involved with other things, you cant just say ur going to apply there in 4 years, you have to have a game plan, and reallly when you first start out in school a lot of things change for people, don't stress about it now. Thats like if I graduated high school and I said I want to be a neurologist, graduate from undergrad, go to johns hopkins, then win the nobel prize for finding a cure for schizophrenia...true story too. You wont figure out what you want to do for sure until you get out there and experience it, work in the field in addition to putting yourself through the pre req classes and making sure you can cut it.

Haha, you got that right, its a broad plan! :laugh: Heck, I'll throw mine in: I'm graduating from NOVA in 2011, plan to get hired by NASA as a space optometrist in 2011/2012, and then I plan to be on the first mission to colonize Mars circa 2015. Any holes in my plan?

After graduating, I plan to take my photography to the next level and document fonzie's space adventures on Mars....holes? well I will take care of those as we do our space photoshoots....

hmm you are in high school? interesting, just get loads of experience, enjoy university life and get involved in activites and committees that you really like- and not because you want to pump up your resume...