Graduate in August, plan to immediately return as non-degree seeking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBL0612

Reaction score
So I'm currently an undergraduate senior graduating in summer with two dual degrees in Health Sciences and Economics. I came into college wanting to pursue healthcare, but having incredibly poor confidence when it came to science. Thus, used business as a cushion and pursued an economics degree alongside health science.
However, towards the end of my college career I decided to take biology 1, and received a C; (as well as a B in anatomy and physiology (which was my favorite course of all time)). While this isn't the best grade I feel incredibly confident I can do better in science coursework and see what I can do to improve. I shadowed an optometrist and feel it is the profession for me, as I've never felt this way about a career before.
With this being said, I plan to graduate in summer and take 2-3 science courses each semester as a non-degree seeking student for the next year and a half and then take the OAT and apply. My questions are:
  • Will I still be a good applicant if take classes as a part-time student?
  • Can I take these courses at a community college and still be a competitive applicant?
  • Do optometry schools look at my undergraduate leadership positions even though I graduated a year+ prior to applying? (was vice president and president of a club)
  • Would obtaining a position as an optician while finishing these courses make me more competitive?
  • Is my plan solid or should I revise it?

Thank you so much, I have a lot of questions and am definitely open to feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

hey! taking course as a part time is okay as long as your grades are good and your gpa is good.
the courses you take have to be of a certain level, so id recommend taking them in uni not a college.
All experience can be added to your application even if you graduated.
Opticians require schooling as well, I think working at an optical will give you more knowledge and shadowing as well.
Its a good plan, message me if you need anymore answers

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm currently an undergraduate senior graduating in summer with two dual degrees in Health Sciences and Economics. I came into college wanting to pursue healthcare, but having incredibly poor confidence when it came to science. Thus, used business as a cushion and pursued an economics degree alongside health science.
However, towards the end of my college career I decided to take biology 1, and received a C; (as well as a B in anatomy and physiology (which was my favorite course of all time)). While this isn't the best grade I feel incredibly confident I can do better in science coursework and see what I can do to improve. I shadowed an optometrist and feel it is the profession for me, as I've never felt this way about a career before.
With this being said, I plan to graduate in summer and take 2-3 science courses each semester as a non-degree seeking student for the next year and a half and then take the OAT and apply. My questions are:
  • Will I still be a good applicant if take classes as a part-time student?
  • Can I take these courses at a community college and still be a competitive applicant?
  • Do optometry schools look at my undergraduate leadership positions even though I graduated a year+ prior to applying? (was vice president and president of a club)
  • Would obtaining a position as an optician while finishing these courses make me more competitive?
  • Is my plan solid or should I revise it?

Thank you so much, I have a lot of questions and am definitely open to feedback.

Taking classes part-time is fine and relatively common.
You’ll have to look at the courses required by the schools you plan to apply to in order to know for sure if taking them at a community college is equivalent - I agree they may not be, since many are upper div courses.

Any job experience is great for boosting your application.

Seems like a good plan as long as you make sure the classes are valid.