This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k.ace

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took the OAT at the end of the summer, and I had kind of an odd experience with my test so I figured I'd tell about it in case it gives hope to anybody else!

My stats:
TS: 400
AA: 390
Bio, Gen Chem, OChem, RC: 400
QR: 390
Physics: 360
GPA: 3.91

I did well and I am happy with my scores, but I really did not expect it! I took the ADA practice test 2 days before my real one and I scored much worse, my best sections being bio and gen chem around 350, and physics was under 300. I know most people find this practice test to be closest to their actual score, but that wasn't the case for me.

I studied using the big blue Kaplan book and Chad's Quizzes (I didn't bother with the videos, as I figured I could learn from the explanations after every quiz question and supplement with Khan Academy). I spent under $200 in prep - including the $100 ADA test. I think the resources you need are out there for not too much money, its a matter of understanding the scope of the test (Kaplan book) and then finding how you learn well (quizzes).

I studied from June-August, but for the week and a half before my test date I pretty much didn't leave the basement because I still had so much to learn. I was super discouraged and cried like all the time because I felt so sick about how I expected it to go - my parents were high key concerned because this wasn't typical of me. Tbh I even shed a couple tears during the test itself because even while writing it I did not think it was going very well (I counted and I was really unsure of 10/40 of my bio answers - that is really not ideal). BUT I clicked end when the test was over and I did better than I could've imagined! Which goes to show that it is possible and you shouldn't give up and all that good stuff you probably won't believe right now but I'm putting it out there anyways.

I know there are hundreds of these out there, but if you have any questions about my experience just ask!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
well first of all congrats on your scores!!!! thats amazing! For physics and QR did you think chad's quizzes were representative of the real exam? Could you elaborate alittle more on how you think is the best way to approach physics, I'm alittle freaked out lol

Hey guys,
I took the OAT at the end of the summer, and I had kind of an odd experience with my test so I figured I'd tell about it in case it gives hope to anybody else!

My stats:
TS: 400
AA: 390
Bio, Gen Chem, OChem, RC: 400
QR: 390
Physics: 360
GPA: 3.91

I did well and I am happy with my scores, but I really did not expect it! I took the ADA practice test 2 days before my real one and I scored much worse, my best sections being bio and gen chem around 350, and physics was under 300. I know most people find this practice test to be closest to their actual score, but that wasn't the case for me.

I studied using the big blue Kaplan book and Chad's Quizzes (I didn't bother with the videos, as I figured I could learn from the explanations after every quiz question and supplement with Khan Academy). I spent under $200 in prep - including the $100 ADA test. I think the resources you need are out there for not too much money, its a matter of understanding the scope of the test (Kaplan book) and then finding how you learn well (quizzes).

I studied from June-August, but for the week and a half before my test date I pretty much didn't leave the basement because I still had so much to learn. I was super discouraged and cried like all the time because I felt so sick about how I expected it to go - my parents were high key concerned because this wasn't typical of me. Tbh I even shed a couple tears during the test itself because even while writing it I did not think it was going very well (I counted and I was really unsure of 10/40 of my bio answers - that is really not ideal). BUT I clicked end when the test was over and I did better than I could've imagined! Which goes to show that it is possible and you shouldn't give up and all that good stuff you probably won't believe right now but I'm putting it out there anyways.

I know there are hundreds of these out there, but if you have any questions about my experience just ask!

Amazing stats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
well first of all congrats on your scores!!!! thats amazing! For physics and QR did you think chad's quizzes were representative of the real exam? Could you elaborate alittle more on how you think is the best way to approach physics, I'm alittle freaked out lol

I thought they were, for the most part! For physics, Kaplan practice tests were too hard for sure, I thought Chad's were better. I memorized more physics formulas than I needed, so if you are overwhelmed by that I would focus mostly on the classic ones (4 formulas for constant acceleration motion, gravity with the big G, relationship between light speed and frequency and different mediums, know about concave/convex lenses and mirrors, etc.). I found that I could figure a number of them out using the units in the question if I needed to. But I was more comfortable knowing more than just that, so if you have time I'd recommend it. Also know Newton's Laws bc I used them a couple times, especially for pushing/pulling objects. Mind you, this was my worst section and I guessed on at least 5 of them because of lack of time, so I'm not an expert on it!

For QR, I struggled most with trig identities, and I don't think I had a single question about them on my exam. Maybe I just got lucky, but yeah keep that in mind. Also the question format was different for a lot of QR questions than any of my practice tests or Chad's quizzes or kaplan. They would write a normal question and then have these options (I think this is classic GRE style):
A. Quantity A is greater.
B. Quantity B is greater.
C. The two quantities are equal.
D. The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

They also had some with two statements, and then these four options (or something to this effect):
A. Fact 1 alone is enough
B. Fact 2 alone is enough
C. The two facts together are enough
D. The two facts together are not enough

I hope this is helpful!

I thought they were, for the most part! For physics, Kaplan practice tests were too hard for sure, I thought Chad's were better. I memorized more physics formulas than I needed, so if you are overwhelmed by that I would focus mostly on the classic ones (4 formulas for constant acceleration motion, gravity with the big G, relationship between light speed and frequency and different mediums, know about concave/convex lenses and mirrors, etc.). I found that I could figure a number of them out using the units in the question if I needed to. But I was more comfortable knowing more than just that, so if you have time I'd recommend it. Also know Newton's Laws bc I used them a couple times, especially for pushing/pulling objects. Mind you, this was my worst section and I guessed on at least 5 of them because of lack of time, so I'm not an expert on it!

For QR, I struggled most with trig identities, and I don't think I had a single question about them on my exam. Maybe I just got lucky, but yeah keep that in mind. Also the question format was different for a lot of QR questions than any of my practice tests or Chad's quizzes or kaplan. They would write a normal question and then have these options (I think this is classic GRE style):

They also had some with two statements, and then these four options (or something to this effect):

I hope this is helpful!

That was very thorough! thankyou! any general advice for bio/gc/physics! thanks again

I hope this is helpful!
Do you know where I could practice such QR questions? Like a website or book?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know where I could practice such QR questions? Like a website or book?
I actually don't because they kind of blind-sided me on the test! Maybe some GRE prep websites/books? There were not of that format in the Kaplan big books or practice tests, and none in Chad's quizzes.