My OAT Experience

catsomgcats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I studied:

Bought the big blue Kaplan book (now selling). Watched one month of Chad's videos. Bought the OAT Achiever.

I studied the material for just over a month and spent the next 3 weeks doing practice exams, trying to master the problems. By the end of my last week, I could do the OAT Achiever tests like a boss (despite that I kind of knew the answers already but I learned how to work all the problems)

Test Day: had a good nights sleep, woke up super early. Testing center is over an hour drive from my house so I left early in case there was traffic/accident. I got there 2 hours early lol... They let me start right away.

They put me in this room full of computers and other students taking all types of tests. There's cameras EVERYWHERE!!!

Let me just put it out there that I felt like I was 100% ready for this exam. I kept myself calm the whole 2 weeks before because I convinced myself that if I dont get the score I want, it's not the end of the world and I can retake it. I continued to tell myself that because I needed to be calm. I didnt want to be nervous because that's when mistakes happen.

So the exam was hard for me. It was actually extremely difficult for me. I didn't feel like there was any one section that was easy. The time flew by for every section and it was crazy. It didn't even feel like 4ish hours.

BIOL: I think I marked every second question... it was a scatter of everything and anything. So many random questions I have never seen. There were a couple easy questions. I think I had 1 question here about enzymes lowering the activation energy and almost the identical questions in GCHEM.

GCHEM: one of my favorite topics. HARD. It had everything again. But Chad's quizzes prepare you really well for this section. I did better than I thought.

OCHEM: my #1 favorite subject. Love it in school and loved studying it. It was again, HARD. By the time the Natural Science section was over, I couldnt believe how difficult I felt it was. Memorize all the reactions! Know the order of priority for naming (IUPAC), aromaticity, levels of unsaturation, etc

RC: My worst fear. Ive always practiced with outline the article first then answering the questions. So I did that first and realized it was taking way too long. So I switched to the search and destroy method. I felt pretty good about it. (It ended up being my worst section lol)

Break time.. take the whole break, it's nice.

I figured at this point I have physics and QR, I'm strong in both.

PHYSICS: Ridiculous. I had 50/50 calculations/theory. SO HARD. HARDER THAN ANY OTHER TEST I HAVE PRACTICED WITH!! There were questions I've never seen, questions that didnt make sense. There were 0 "freebies". I felt like you had to spend over a minute on each question. Everyone always kept posting about how the physics on the real exam is way easier than any practice exam. I think they just gave me the hardest physics type exam that they had. It was REAALLY HARD. I don't think I can even explain how hard it was.

QR: Confusing and hard but I got through it. Lots and lots of alegbra (I love alegbra). Some Log questions (im bad at that). Know your formulas for volume and area of shapes. Practice LOTS and it will be easier. My computer let me use the keypad for the calculator so it made life easier. I also loved highschool math which is pretty much what the QR section is, just slightly more intense.

The following are my practice test scores (the first time I did them... I did all practice tests 3 or 4 times before the real OAT) & my actual score

OAT ACHIEVER SCORES:
ACH1/ACH2/ACH3/ADA/Kaplan/OAT
BIOL: 290/300/290/320/290/330
GCHEM:
320/330/330/370/340/390
OCHEM:
330/340/370/340/340/350
PHYS:
300/270/300/330/280/310
QR:
310/350/370/400/340/390
RC:
210/270/240/300/210/300
TS:
310/310/N/A/350/310/350
AA:
290/310/N/A/340/300/350

Looks like the ADA Sample test was the closest to my actual score (just like I have seen a lot of other people's). OAT Achiever tests I obviously did worse on because they were difficult. However, I felt like the actual OAT was just as difficult as the OAT Achiever. When I was taking the real OAT vs when I was taking the OAT Achiever tests, the difficulty level of them felt the same. I just had different types of questions.

The OAT Achiever does NOT simulate the RC and PHYS portions very well. The QR is simulated VERY well and the chemistry sections and biology are simulated pretty well too but not as good as QR. If you are using OAT Achiever, make sure you know how to do all the QR questions!! And know how to do them FAST because time runs out quick!!

To be honest, I know a lot of people would be extremely excited about this score because it actually is a really good score. It's just not good enough for me. I'm Canadian and I am trying to get into Waterloo (way cheaper tuition) but the average OAT score is 370 to get in. I will be taking the test again. I have time, I will be applying for the 2017 starting class so it's okay. I was just disappointed to see my score below 370 after I literally gave up all social life and gave myself house arrest for 2 months.

Last advice: just always be relaxed. Don't let the pressure get to you. It's not the end of the world and you can always take it again. Don't let the OAT exam hurt you emotionally. It's hard to stay calm but at the end of the day, that's really all you can do. Just remind yourself the day of the exam and the night before that you have studied as hard as you possibly could and you know everything you know at this point. Just try your best. You can do it eventually. I'll eventually do it :)

Oh.. and don't give up life to study for this exam. That was my mistake and I wish I had spent more time with my friends.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow. It really concerns me that someone that is as disciplined and prepared as you thought it was hard! But then again, I would be totally happy with those scores! But you gotta do what you gotta do to get into the school you desire. I want to say congratulations but since it wasn't what you were striving for I'll say nice try! I'm sure you will do super fantastic on the next one and get the score you want! I think I'm going to have to step up my game tremendously... I need your mentality and brain..

Honestly, it depends where you are. Since there are so many optometry schools in the US, the pressure isn't so high to get into the school you want. Jalam, I have seen your other posts and I know your GPA is really high, so I'm pretty sure even getting like a 320 OAT will be okay for you and you can still get in! The OAT isn't weighed as heavily in the US as it is at Waterloo. I somehow feel like if you get a 380 you are basically guaranteed a spot at Waterloo (given that you do well in the interview). Waterloo loves the smart OAT students lol . So stressful

Ahhhh that makes sense. Thanks for sharing your experience and super good luck to you! When do you plan on taking it again?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to take the rest of the summer off and then just start doing more practice problems slowly in the fall. I'll probably take it at the end of November

I completely agree about the physics section. I took mine just over a week ago and bombed the physics and QR sections. I was so embarrassed. Physics was WAY more calculations than concepts (not what I'd heard or expected) and QR I got caught up spending too much time on the first half of the problems that I ended up having to guess on the last 10 or so. I got a 310 AA and I'm planning to retake it in October or November. Definitely not representative of me as a student or candidate for optom school.

I got a 400 on the reading section though--use the Kaplan strategy! That's what I did. The practice workshops that come with the big blue book are incredibly helpful and their RC method definitely works!

I completely agree about the physics section. I took mine just over a week ago and bombed the physics and QR sections. I was so embarrassed. Physics was WAY more calculations than concepts (not what I'd heard or expected)

What are you using this time to study for the physics section?

What are you using this time to study for the physics section?
I've just purchased OAT Destroyer + Physics from eBay. I think I just didn't get enough practice in. I've read that it's harder than the actual test, but the more practice, the better. Kind of like batting with a weight, then swinging without it. I'll put most of my time in the Physics and QR sections just to boost my speed, as that was my main problem.

What I studied:

Bought the big blue Kaplan book (now selling). Watched one month of Chad's videos. Bought the OAT Achiever.

I studied the material for just over a month and spent the next 3 weeks doing practice exams, trying to master the problems. By the end of my last week, I could do the OAT Achiever tests like a boss (despite that I kind of knew the answers already but I learned how to work all the problems)

Test Day: had a good nights sleep, woke up super early. Testing center is over an hour drive from my house so I left early in case there was traffic/accident. I got there 2 hours early lol... They let me start right away.

They put me in this room full of computers and other students taking all types of tests. There's cameras EVERYWHERE!!!

Let me just put it out there that I felt like I was 100% ready for this exam. I kept myself calm the whole 2 weeks before because I convinced myself that if I dont get the score I want, it's not the end of the world and I can retake it. I continued to tell myself that because I needed to be calm. I didnt want to be nervous because that's when mistakes happen.

So the exam was hard for me. It was actually extremely difficult for me. I didn't feel like there was any one section that was easy. The time flew by for every section and it was crazy. It didn't even feel like 4ish hours.

BIOL: I think I marked every second question... it was a scatter of everything and anything. So many random questions I have never seen. There were a couple easy questions. I think I had 1 question here about enzymes lowering the activation energy and almost the identical questions in GCHEM.

GCHEM: one of my favorite topics. HARD. It had everything again. But Chad's quizzes prepare you really well for this section. I did better than I thought.

OCHEM: my #1 favorite subject. Love it in school and loved studying it. It was again, HARD. By the time the Natural Science section was over, I couldnt believe how difficult I felt it was. Memorize all the reactions! Know the order of priority for naming (IUPAC), aromaticity, levels of unsaturation, etc

RC: My worst fear. Ive always practiced with outline the article first then answering the questions. So I did that first and realized it was taking way too long. So I switched to the search and destroy method. I felt pretty good about it. (It ended up being my worst section lol)

Break time.. take the whole break, it's nice.

I figured at this point I have physics and QR, I'm strong in both.

PHYSICS: Ridiculous. I had 50/50 calculations/theory. SO HARD. HARDER THAN ANY OTHER TEST I HAVE PRACTICED WITH!! There were questions I've never seen, questions that didnt make sense. There were 0 "freebies". I felt like you had to spend over a minute on each question. Everyone always kept posting about how the physics on the real exam is way easier than any practice exam. I think they just gave me the hardest physics type exam that they had. It was REAALLY HARD. I don't think I can even explain how hard it was.

QR: Confusing and hard but I got through it. Lots and lots of alegbra (I love alegbra). Some Log questions (im bad at that). Know your formulas for volume and area of shapes. Practice LOTS and it will be easier. My computer let me use the keypad for the calculator so it made life easier. I also loved highschool math which is pretty much what the QR section is, just slightly more intense.

The following are my practice test scores (the first time I did them... I did all practice tests 3 or 4 times before the real OAT) & my actual score

OAT ACHIEVER SCORES:
ACH1/ACH2/ACH3/ADA/Kaplan/OAT
BIOL: 290/300/290/320/290/330
GCHEM:
320/330/330/370/340/390
OCHEM:
330/340/370/340/340/350
PHYS:
300/270/300/330/280/310
QR:
310/350/370/400/340/390
RC:
210/270/240/300/210/300
TS:
310/310/N/A/350/310/350
AA:
290/310/N/A/340/300/350

Looks like the ADA Sample test was the closest to my actual score (just like I have seen a lot of other people's). OAT Achiever tests I obviously did worse on because they were difficult. However, I felt like the actual OAT was just as difficult as the OAT Achiever. When I was taking the real OAT vs when I was taking the OAT Achiever tests, the difficulty level of them felt the same. I just had different types of questions.

The OAT Achiever does NOT simulate the RC and PHYS portions very well. The QR is simulated VERY well and the chemistry sections and biology are simulated pretty well too but not as good as QR. If you are using OAT Achiever, make sure you know how to do all the QR questions!! And know how to do them FAST because time runs out quick!!

To be honest, I know a lot of people would be extremely excited about this score because it actually is a really good score. It's just not good enough for me. I'm Canadian and I am trying to get into Waterloo (way cheaper tuition) but the average OAT score is 370 to get in. I will be taking the test again. I have time, I will be applying for the 2017 starting class so it's okay. I was just disappointed to see my score below 370 after I literally gave up all social life and gave myself house arrest for 2 months.

Last advice: just always be relaxed. Don't let the pressure get to you. It's not the end of the world and you can always take it again. Don't let the OAT exam hurt you emotionally. It's hard to stay calm but at the end of the day, that's really all you can do. Just remind yourself the day of the exam and the night before that you have studied as hard as you possibly could and you know everything you know at this point. Just try your best. You can do it eventually. I'll eventually do it :)

Oh.. and don't give up life to study for this exam. That was my mistake and I wish I had spent more time with my friends.

You did awesome! My Achiever scores have been similar to yours give or take lower in some sections.. etc.. I'm so nervous! I keep bombing the achiever reading too but I know its nothing compared to the real thing

Congrats on the test and congrats on finally being done! I know it's an amazing feeling, even if you are unsatisfied with your scores. That average of 370 for that school is really high. That is almost two standard deviations above the average for all OAT takers. A 350 is still better than over 85% of everyone that takes it. Let yourself be proud of it and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the support guys :)) preoptometry students are all supporting and kind!!! I'll keep my head up !

You did awesome! My Achiever scores have been similar to yours give or take lower in some sections.. etc.. I'm so nervous! I keep bombing the achiever reading too but I know its nothing compared to the real thing

If your Achiever scores are like mine then you will be fine!!! :) good luck!!!

@catsomgcats awesome scores! My goal for the OAT is actually similar to what you got and we've used the same material to study so fingers crossed! Quick question tho, did you feel like 3 weeks was enough time for practice exams? Because I've heard that exposure to the dif types of questions is best, and I wanted to know if 3 weeks was sufficient for you!

Awesome scores!

I had a question about Chad's Videos, you said you watched the videos for a month, in that time did you take notes on the videos? or just watch them?
Also, did you watch his videos for biology or did you use the Kaplan Book for that?

@catsomgcats awesome scores! My goal for the OAT is actually similar to what you got and we've used the same material to study so fingers crossed! Quick question tho, did you feel like 3 weeks was enough time for practice exams? Because I've heard that exposure to the dif types of questions is best, and I wanted to know if 3 weeks was sufficient for you!

Yes 3 weeks is a good amount of time :)

Awesome scores!

I had a question about Chad's Videos, you said you watched the videos for a month, in that time did you take notes on the videos? or just watch them?
Also, did you watch his videos for biology or did you use the Kaplan Book for that?

I took notes while watching them and did each quiz right after the video. I used the Kaplan book for the biology material but it wasnt that helpful. I learned most of what I knew for biology by doing practice exams. I didnt watch chads bio videos but i did do the bio quizzes

I don't know . I bought the book off someone else. It had a practice test inside and there is a free online kaplan test that anyone can do

I am currently studying to take the exam August 20th and was wondering if you have an advice for Ochem and physics. They are my weakest subjects. I have been using the blue Kaplan OAT book as well as Kaplan subject books for the MCAT. I have done 2 practice tests so far and I am not too happy with my scores. For chemistry do they refer to reactions by their names or do they give you images of the compounds? And for physics is it more conceptual or equation based.. did you memorize all physics equations or just ones in particular? Any help would be much appreciated. I am starting to stress out.

I would suggest buying Chad's Videos and getting all that comes with that. Those give you a good run down of everything like being in a class, there are quizzes, and notes packets that you can print out. It is especially helpful for both physics and organic. With organic, you get a summary of reactions, which I suggest you look at at least once daily and make sure you can predict what a product will be with different reactants. With physics, the videos are very helpful for giving you examples of questions you can see on the OAT.

For chemistry, they could either refer to the reaction by name or give you the image, or really any other way to ask the question. If you study, it won't matter how they ask the question because you'll know it by then.

For physics you will get both calculations and concept questions. The calculations could be as easy as giving you mass, giving you acceleration, and asking for the force. You would need to know the equation for force to get it right, but the calculation itself is not too complicated. You do need to memorize most of the equations, which shouldn't be too bad. If you are practicing enough, you will end up memorizing them without even trying. If you do practice problems over and over from many different places, it all becomes second nature and you don't have to think about it. You probably don't need to worry so much about hugely complicated equations, but it can't hurt to know it. For larger equations, like say gravity, they would give you concept questions like asking what happens when you double both masses and reduce the distance by half, or something along those lines. All of that is covered really well in Chad's Videos, which is why I highly suggest them.

Lastly, just relax. You aren't going to get every question right, so don't worry about that. You only need to worry about going in as prepared as possible.

Reactions: 1 users