This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Leo Spaceman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN World,

I started my journey as a non-traditional student a year ago. My past few threads are somewhat of a time capsule that document my progress and, hopefully, provide information for future students like me. So here's an update of my fall 2016 semester...

I took Organic I, Intro Cell Bio (BIO I), and Physics II. I made a 4.0. I also worked as a research assistant for my biology professor - which was definitely not my cup of tea. I doubt I'll continue working in the lab next semester to say the least. I also kept my job as a K-12 after school tutor but really cut back my hours.

I finished up volunteering 200 hours (over the course of a year) in the ER at a rural hospital nearby and shadowed 3 different doctors about 4 hours each.

My BA is in economics w/a history minor (graduated 2015) and I had a 3.59 GPA at graduation. My overall GPA is getting close to a 3.7 by now. Post-bacc GPA is a 4.0.

Next semester I'm taking Organic II, Microbiology (BIO II I guess?), and Genetics. I will also be volunteering as a CNA at a rural free clinic once per week this upcoming spring. Oh, and I'll be taking biochemistry in the summer. My MCAT is June 30th and that's about as far ahead as I've planned.

I hope this gives confidence to other post-bacc students and as always, for those that are in medical school, feel free to offer critiques and criticisms. You have all been very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
your progress sounds pretty awesome. keep it up!

Congrats on your success so far! It is great that you got a gig as a research assistant and realized you do not like it-- research isn't for everyone!

Everything looks good... it really comes down to the MCAT. Do you think you have enough time to prepare for it? The only thing that worries me is that you are finishing your pre-reqs the semester before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your success so far! It is great that you got a gig as a research assistant and realized you do not like it-- research isn't for everyone!

Everything looks good... it really comes down to the MCAT. Do you think you have enough time to prepare for it? The only thing that worries me is that you are finishing your pre-reqs the semester before.

I think I should have enough time. I'm planning to devote about 12-15 hours per week to MCAT studying after spring break. That will come out to around 200 hours of studying in total. I'd LOVE to earn an Ivy-type score - so maybe I should bump that number up a bit. My parents live up north so it would be cool to be near them...but I'm also falling more in love with osteopathy. All the doctors I've shadowed are DOs and they are just the coolest people ever.

I think I should have enough time. I'm planning to devote about 12-15 hours per week to MCAT studying after spring break. That will come out to around 200 hours of studying in total. I'd LOVE to earn an Ivy-type score - so maybe I should bump that number up a bit. My parents live up north so it would be cool to be near them...but I'm also falling more in love with osteopathy. All the doctors I've shadowed are DOs and they are just the coolest people ever.

They do recommend 300 hours of preparation, but this is student specific... Obviously, there is a huge difference in the type of score that will land you at an Ivy and at an osteopathic school. Make sure you take plenty of practice tests and are scoring around your target on the AAMC before you take the test