My NBDE part 1 Study Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfixer007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone ,
I am starting this thread for self motivation and to keep a track of my progress
I will be sharing my studying experiences in this thread
I started preparing for part 1 since a month now.. but i have seriously lacked motivation, at times i was totally lost , din knw wht i was studying and if it was a quality preparation.
My Goal is the magic number ' Ninety '

Prep Materials i am Using in toto --
2009-10 Dental Decks
Kaplan Review Book for NBDE Part I
Kaplan center stuff (explanations, videos, etc)
USMLE lecture notes
NBDE First Aid
Board Review Series
All ASDA released exams

Studied so far :
done with with Gross anatomy & Dental Anatomy ( except occlusion) ..
need to revise though .
today i am finishing entire embryo ( including female/male repro)
starting wid cell all over again ..

"It's a new day. It's a new you. It can be whatever you want, it can be however you choose. "

Members don't see this ad.

.Ectopic pregnancy -bastocyst implants in a location other than the uterus.
.Site of implantation.
.Likely reason.
.Upper and middle part of the uterine tube.
.Embryo probably lost its zona pellucida prematurely. Most common ectopic location..
.Ovary.
.The egg was never released from the ovary..
.Abdominal cavity.
.Probably caused by defect in egg capture process. Rarely, an asymptomatic ectopic fetus can die and calcify to become a lithopedeon (“stone baby”)..

.Placenta Previa -.

• embryo implants in the lower part of the uterus towards the cervix ->placental tear ->severe hemorrhage->death of the mother.
  • or the placenta may grow to obstruct the cervical canal, delivery by Csection.

.BLASTOCYST - Bilayered.
.1. Trophoblast - differentiates into ...

• Cytotrophoblast ( Inner) - cellular and expands mitotically into the syncytiotrophoblast to form primary chorionic villi.
  • Syncytiotrophoblast( outer) -acellular ,does not expand mitotically produces hCG (a glycoprotein hormone that stimulates the production of progesterone by the corpus luteum) invades into the maternal endrometrium forming lacunae, spaces which fill with maternal blood. lacunae fuse to form lacunar networks.( maternal blood that flows in and out of these networks exchanges nutrients and waste products with the fetus, forming the basis of a primitive uteroplacental circulation)
Embryoblast
  • after implantation->inner cell mass subdivides into a bilaminar disc consisting of the hypoblast and epiblast.
  • Hypoblast- cells migrate along the inner surface of the cytotrophoblast and form the primary yolk sac.
  • primary yolk sac becomes reduced in size and is known as the secondary yolk sac. (In humans the yolk sac contains no yolk but is important for the transfer of nutrients between the fetus and mother)
  • Epiblast - cells cavitate to form amnion,an extra-embryonic epithelial membrane covering the embryo and amniotic cavity. Cells from the epiblast eventually form the body of the embryo.
Extra-embryonic mesoderm- cells migrate b/w the cytotrophoblast and yolk sac and amnion.
Extraembryonic somatic mesoderm
-

• lines the cytotrophoblast and covers the amnion
  • forms connecting stalk (primordium of the umbilical cord)
Extraembryonic visceral mesoderm

• covers the yolk sac.
Chorion - formed along wid extraembryonic mesoderm.
At the end of the second week it is possible to distinguish the dorsal (amniotic cavity) from the ventral (yolk sac) side of the embryo.

Early pregnancy testing-

• hCG produced by the syncytiotrophoblast can be detected in maternal blood or urine as early as day 10 of pregnancy and is the basis for pregnancy tests.
  • Low hCG - predict spontaneous abortion or ectopic pregnancy.
  • High hCG - multiple pregnancies
.Hydatidiform mole - A blighted blastocyst leads to death of the embryo, which is followed by hyperplastic proliferation of the trophoblast within the uterine wall..
.Choriocarcinoma - malignant tumor arising from trophoblastic cells that may occur following a normal pregnancy, abortion, or a hydatidiform mole..

Members don't see this ad :)
I will keep posting lil notes .. this is all for now ..
If u hav made any important short notes like this , please post it here , tht would help all of us ..
thanks !

1. NBDE First Aid ------ for the outline of the subject
  2. USMLE lecture notes ------ for better understanding
  3. Kaplan NBDE review ------ for details
  4. Decks ------ exclusive exam oriented material ! a must read.
  5. ASDA Papers / First Aid Q/A -- for self assessment
this is the order i am following for each subject ..

Hi toothfixer007, I really want to use USMLE kaplan lecture notes that you said we can get on amazon because I found that it is better understand the general concepts first before approaching the questions. However, there's so many different versions of these lecture notes (step 1, step 2, etc) that I do not know which one you are referring to. I am assuming that you are referring to a set of books NOT the medessential: high yield USMILE step 1 kaplan book? Please advise! Thanks!

Hi toothfixer007, I really want to use USMLE kaplan lecture notes that you said we can get on amazon because I found that it is better understand the general concepts first before approaching the questions. However, there's so many different versions of these lecture notes (step 1, step 2, etc) that I do not know which one you are referring to. I am assuming that you are referring to a set of books NOT the medessential: high yield USMILE step 1 kaplan book? Please advise! Thanks!

hey its the kaplan USMLE step 1 lecture notes i was referring to , medessentials and high yield are mostly for last minute review ..

thanks vdt2009!!!! I so like this thread.. keep it going!!! wishing all the best to all who are preparing for the exam!!!!

i m studying from lange and kaplan ....just few chapters on early embrology from lange.... rest all kaplan.

hey can you tell me which is better..review notes or lecture notes..i think lecture notes are in much detail..but i want to use these notes as my basic book..so can you tell me if review notes are enough for that ?!!

hey its the kaplan USMLE step 1 lecture notes i was referring to , medessentials and high yield are mostly for last minute review ..

Oh I see what you are referring to now...you are referring to a set of 6 books instead of a single book. Wow I checked online and they are between $250 - $300 USD. It's very pricy...is it really worth it given that those are prep books for USMLE not NDBE part 1?

I have 2011 decks (many mistakes though) & first aid...any other specific prep books you could recommend besides kaplan for the following subjects:
-biochem
-physio
-micro
-path

Thanks again toothfixer! This thread definitely keeps me motivated to study in this summer heat!

Oh I see what you are referring to now...you are referring to a set of 6 books instead of a single book. Wow I checked online and they are between $250 - $300 USD. It's very pricy...is it really worth it given that those are prep books for USMLE not NDBE part 1?

I have 2011 decks (many mistakes though) & first aid...any other specific prep books you could recommend besides kaplan for the following subjects:
-biochem
-physio
-micro
-path

Thanks again toothfixer! This thread definitely keeps me motivated to study in this summer heat!
Hi toothfixer007,I have NBDE part 1 review and NBDE part 1 lecture notes is it not the ame as the one ur referring.if not what is the difference.I`m confused and don`t want to refer some thing which is outdated.I also have decks and Lippincott for biochem.In fact all the subjects too.I think biochem is good in that.pls let me know am i good to go.

Hi toothfixer007,I have NBDE part 1 review and NBDE part 1 lecture notes is it not the ame as the one ur referring.if not what is the difference.I`m confused and don`t want to refer some thing which is outdated.I also have decks and Lippincott for biochem.In fact all the subjects too.I think biochem is good in that.pls let me know am i good to go.

I WILL JOIN U ALL ON MONDAY FOR THE ANAT,i`M STILL WITH D.H.:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey can you tell me which is better..review notes or lecture notes..i think lecture notes are in much detail..but i want to use these notes as my basic book..so can you tell me if review notes are enough for that ?!!

i m doing review notes ,text books in some subjects n decks.....

is first aid a must for the prep
:confused:

Its not a must , i would say its a starter , u have to read other books for main course :) .. it only gives u an outline of nbde syllabus , quiet organized than other books , but the info give is insufficient ... u can still manage scoring well widout it .

Its not a must , i would say its a starter , u have to read other books for main course :) .. it only gives u an outline of nbde syllabus , quiet organized than other books , but the info give is insufficient ... u can still manage scoring well widout it .

I`m starting histo today

[SIZE=+1]The base of the skull develops by endochondral ossification
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]The bones of the calvarium ossify by intramembranous ossification.
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]The bones of the face are partly basal and partly calvarial bones so they ossify both by intramembranous and endochondral ossification.[/SIZE]

To: all of the members of this post.

I am currently studying for the NBDE exam. I would GREATLY appreciate it if one of you would be able to guide me and tell me what exactly it is that is to be studied for the exam. ESP biochem section. Is studying the decks enough? WHat are all the books that are required? and how to manage to study all these subjects again? how much time to give to each subject? i m lost totally.
im worried sick over this.

Hi Can I join in guys?
m planning to take part 1 in dec. I wanted to know how i should start studying. Should i directly do the dental decks or is it a good idea to read the textbooks first. Its rather very confusing to start studying and make a plan. I mean i dont know where to start. Would really appreciate if someone can give some advise. :confused:

every topic covered by kaplan reveiw notes n decks

what bout embryo? do u feel its important to go in depth of the organs in the abdomen also or stick to the head and neck? my exams at the end of this month and im confused what to focus more of my attention towards...

Hi Can I join in guys?
m planning to take part 1 in dec. I wanted to know how i should start studying. Should i directly do the dental decks or is it a good idea to read the textbooks first. Its rather very confusing to start studying and make a plan. I mean i dont know where to start. Would really appreciate if someone can give some advise. :confused:

Hey ,
U are Welcome ..
Have u done ur MDS ?
if so ,then ur basics might be really good ,
u can start wid first aid nbde to get a brief overview of the exam .. remember the info give there is not sufficient for exam,
later u can read kaplan nbde ,dental decks and then solve the papers ..
refer to the txt books to clear ur doubts ..
all the best !

what bout embryo? do u feel its important to go in depth of the organs in the abdomen also or stick to the head and neck? my exams at the end of this month and im confused what to focus more of my attention towards...
Head and neck embryo is more imp than all ,
but it is essential to know the embryology of the organ system , not in detail though !!
read in detail about the head and neck part .. and superficially about other parts of the body , but yeah make sure u knw things even if not in detail . .
hope this helps
wish u luck !

Head and neck embryo is more imp than all ,
but it is essential to know the embryology of the organ system , not in detail though !!
read in detail about the head and neck part .. and superficially about other parts of the body , but yeah make sure u knw things even if not in detail . .
hope this helps
wish u luck !

Thanks alot :) when ru taking ur exam?

Ok so I am done wid repro system and early embryology ,from usmle lecture video and notes . I found the video very usefull , everything is explained in plain simple language and to the point .. non nonsense !!
though its time consuming i really found it informative .. even the lecture notes are very precise and to the point .. i will solve a few questions on the topics i studied .. and then probably i can call it a night !:sleep:

Nothing is as satisfying as a productive day ! :)

Hey toothfixer,
ya you are right , I am also following usmle notes and videos for clinical anatomy and histo .....are you following usmle for CNS too? Are you following Acland videos too ?I have started with anatomy doing histo right now ....how much time do you plan to devote to anatomy ??

Hey toothfixer,
ya you are right , I am also following usmle notes and videos for clinical anatomy and histo .....are you following usmle for CNS too? Are you following Acland videos too ?I have started with anatomy doing histo right now ....how much time do you plan to devote to anatomy ??
hey i am doing neuro anatomy from BRS anatomy , and few videos nd txt book fr reference.
i am done wid head and neck anatomy , doing neuro anatomy today !
try to finish entire anatomy in 10 days .. if u do it leisurely then u'll be stuck wid it .. and it wil go on for a mnth or so ..
so keep a target of 10 days , plan properly and work accordingly ..
u can actually finish it in 5 days if u put in 10-12 hrs then keep 5 days for revision ..its possible.
but again i dnt knw ur pace so .. i would say go according to ur pace .. n study properly .
Good Luck !

what topics in histo do you guys feel are important?
All about cell
the functions of each organelles
PLASMA MEMBRANE--- everything about it
almost EVERYTHING about oral Histo,
nervous tissue
muscle tissue
lymphoid organs
n also important histo points about major organ systems .
i jus know abt this , if u knw any additional topics plz add in ..
hope this helps.

To: all of the members of this post.

I am currently studying for the NBDE exam. I would GREATLY appreciate it if one of you would be able to guide me and tell me what exactly it is that is to be studied for the exam. ESP biochem section. Is studying the decks enough? WHat are all the books that are required? and how to manage to study all these subjects again? how much time to give to each subject? i m lost totally.
im worried sick over this.

hey ,
i am sorry , i hav not started wid biochem yet, will surely let u knw whenever i do , or if i come across something about it .
Decks is enough to clear the exam , to score more u got to use other resources like kaplan , first aid , usmle notes , txt books and asda papers.
time frame for each subject depends on the particular subjects ,
according to ur study habits , pace , you can set ur own target for each subject ..
for ex - 10 days for each subject ,
and also draw plan of action --
like study tough topics/subjects first then move on to easy topics/subjects,
the materials u will be using -- list them in order -- F/A , Kaplan , Decks , ASDA papers ( text books for reference)
jus start studying ... and Keep Studying !
do wht suits u the best !
hope this helps.

I am Starting Neuro anatomy today ,
i am planning to complete to by night , so tht i can start wid neuro phsiology today .
Starting wid
SCALP
MENINGES
DURAL FOLDS
VENOUS SINUSES
INTRACRANIAL CIRCULATION
NERVOUS SYSTEM - CNS , PNS , ANS
CRANIAL NERVES - IN DETAIL

SOURCE - BRS anatomy , Usmle notes and txt book

Hey toothfixer
Thanks a lot for your helpful tips .... I think I still need 2 more days to finish neuroscience coz videos are really taking alot of time but I guess its worth.....then planning to do decks ...

Hey toothfixer
Thanks a lot for your helpful tips .... I think I still need 2 more days to finish neuroscience coz videos are really taking alot of time but I guess its worth.....then planning to do decks ...

where do u get this video,I have everything except that

Hey toothfixer

:thumbup:
yeah videos are a lil time consuming .. but its good for the basics ..
i took almost 2 days for neuro anatomy .. now i am reading neurophysiology .. then will do some patho ..

i've started studying microbiology... is it better to study from dentessentials by kaplan or from kaplan lecture notes... very confused....

started micro today ...doing it from first aid
will revise anatomy side by side ...i can not do complete anatomy at once..:(

i've started studying microbiology... is it better to study from dentessentials by kaplan or from kaplan lecture notes... very confused....
I guess dentessentials .. is only for the final (rapid)review ..
study it from kaplan nbde & decks . refer txt whenever necessary !

started micro today ...doing it from first aid
will revise anatomy side by side ...i can not do complete anatomy at once..:(

:thumbup:
its vast , i was in the same situation ..
i skipped anatomy after the head and neck section .. it was taking a lot of time ..
so i decided to club anatomy and physiology for rest of the part ..!