My NBDE part 1 Study Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfixer007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone ,
I am starting this thread for self motivation and to keep a track of my progress
I will be sharing my studying experiences in this thread
I started preparing for part 1 since a month now.. but i have seriously lacked motivation, at times i was totally lost , din knw wht i was studying and if it was a quality preparation.
My Goal is the magic number ' Ninety '

Prep Materials i am Using in toto --
2009-10 Dental Decks
Kaplan Review Book for NBDE Part I
Kaplan center stuff (explanations, videos, etc)
USMLE lecture notes
NBDE First Aid
Board Review Series
All ASDA released exams

Studied so far :
done with with Gross anatomy & Dental Anatomy ( except occlusion) ..
need to revise though .
today i am finishing entire embryo ( including female/male repro)
starting wid cell all over again ..

"It's a new day. It's a new you. It can be whatever you want, it can be however you choose. "

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone ,
I am starting this thread for self motivation and to keep a track of my progress
I will be sharing my studying experiences in this thread
I started preparing for part 1 since a month now.. but i have seriously lacked motivation, at times i was totally lost , din knw wht i was studying and if it was a quality preparation.
My Goal is the magic number ' Ninety '

Prep Materials i am Using in toto --
2009-10 Dental Decks
Kaplan Review Book for NBDE Part I
Kaplan center stuff (explanations, videos, etc)
USMLE lecture notes
NBDE First Aid
Board Review Series
All ASDA released exams

Studied so far :
done with with Gross anatomy & Dental Anatomy ( except occlusion) ..
need to revise though .
today i am finishing entire embryo ( including female/male repro)
starting wid cell all over again ..

"It's a new day. It's a new you. It can be whatever you want, it can be however you choose. "

when r u planing to write exam ?

Members don't see this ad :)
cytology & histology are the best in USMLE lecture notes i feel ,
kaplan nbde is way too detail ..
any inputs on this would be appreciated !!!

ok so i am done with Cytology & Histology(bascis).
I will study Histology of Individual organ systems in detail while studying tht particular organ system ..
Nw i plan to study male/female repro (1hr) & then start wid embryo..

I will post imp points .. when ever i get bored !
I would appreciate it if someone wants to join me :thumbup:

Ok so I am done wid repro system and early embryology ,from usmle lecture video and notes . I found the video very usefull , everything is explained in plain simple language and to the point .. non nonsense !!
though its time consuming i really found it informative .. even the lecture notes are very precise and to the point .. i will solve a few questions on the topics i studied .. and then probably i can call it a night !:sleep:

Nothing is as satisfying as a productive day ! :)

Ok so I am done wid repro system and early embryology ,from usmle lecture video and notes . I found the video very usefull , everything is explained in plain simple language and to the point .. non nonsense !!
though its time consuming i really found it informative .. even the lecture notes are very precise and to the point .. i will solve a few questions on the topics i studied .. and then probably i can call it a night !:sleep:

Nothing is as satisfying as a productive day ! :)

i m studying from lange and kaplan ....just few chapters on early embrology from lange.... rest all kaplan.

i m studying from lange and kaplan ....just few chapters on early embrology from lange.... rest all kaplan.

hey i have jus studied usmle notes and videos .. i found tht enough so far.. if i have doubts i will refer to other sources ..
happy studying !
post ur study log in here .. it would be grt to motivate each other !
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Updates "

I have completed embryo and Histo in the past two days ..
I studied both the topics from usmle lecture notes and also used videos and internet for details .. well i havent studied the decks part yet .. will do it in the following days ..
It took almost an hour and half to revise the previous sections ..
i studied approximately for 7 hrs since morning .. thats it for today .. will try to jus glance through my notes if possible !
I am taking a delicious dinner break now !

Updates "

I have completed embryo and Histo in the past two days ..
I studied both the topics from usmle lecture notes and also used videos and internet for details .. well i havent studied the decks part yet .. will do it in the following days ..
It took almost an hour and half to revise the previous sections ..
i studied approximately for 7 hrs since morning .. thats it for today .. will try to jus glance through my notes if possible !
I am taking a delicious dinner break now !

hey guys can i join ?

I`m doing it from kaplan and decks.

I`m done with the tooth morphology and occlusion from kaplan.it took 4hrs to complete it.yet to do from decks.:).that covers my dental anatomy.i`ll start with dental histology from orbans .

I`m done with the tooth morphology and occlusion from kaplan.it took 4hrs to complete it.yet to do from decks.:).that covers my dental anatomy.i`ll start with dental histology from orbans .

Good Job !
according to wht i hav heard .. occlusion is nt enough from kaplan .. refer to other books like wheelers or okeson .. this is the highly tested part in DA and also a high scoring subject .. so u can afford to spend more time if u want to ..
jus my 2 cents ..
I am done wid embryo and histo .. these are again very important topics .. have to keep revising it ..

Good Job !
according to wht i hav heard .. occlusion is nt enough from kaplan .. refer to other books like wheelers or okeson .. this is the highly tested part in DA and also a high scoring subject .. so u can afford to spend more time if u want to ..
jus my 2 cents ..
I am done wid embryo and histo .. these are again very important topics .. have to keep revising it ..

hey I know wheelers but what is this okeson,where do u buy this.I would love to read it.occlusion is major topic for test.:confused:.I`ll do it from wheelers.

Hi toothfixer007,
I think I'm a little bit too early with this:). But since you guys are going through great length with your study, I thought it would be beneficial to ask you how you takes notes in class so that you can use for your NBDE review? Or do you only keep the powerpoint lectures and study from there?
Thanks for letting me getting a sneak peak of D-school.

Hi toothfixer007,
I think I'm a little bit too early with this:). But since you guys are going through great length with your study, I thought it would be beneficial to ask you how you takes notes in class so that you can use for your NBDE review? Or do you only keep the powerpoint lectures and study from there?

thx for the info,how do i get this tmj text.is it from amazon.did revise the same DA.

Hi, I am just wondering what USMILE lecture notes are you referring to?

Many ppl said that First Aid is very good and I recently bought it but I don't like it at all b/c it is just a summary list. Other than that, I only have the decks. What other books would you suggest as good review books?

Thanks!

Hi toothfixer007,
hey there ,
i am so sorry i can't help you on that , since i am a Foreign Trained Dentist ..
I can help you with the NBDE prep for sure , lemme knw if u need any help ,
sorry once again .. wish u good luck !

Hi, I am just wondering what USMILE lecture notes are you referring to?

Many ppl said that First Aid is very good and I recently bought it but I don't like it at all b/c it is just a summary list. Other than that, I only have the decks. What other books would you suggest as good review books?

Thanks!

Hello Meas ,
First aid is good to start wid ( jus to have an idea of wht we need to study) and for the last minute review .
Its not to be used as a main prep book .. u can use ur txt books , kaplan nbde , or kaplan usmle lecture notes + decks as ur main prep materials .
USMLE notes are the lecture notes frm kaplan .. i like them they are vry organized and to the point . but yeah some topics are given better in kaplan nbde .

1. NBDE First Aid ------ for the outline of the subject
  2. USMLE lecture notes ------ for better understanding
  3. Kaplan NBDE review ------ for details
  4. Decks ------ exclusive exam oriented material ! a must read.
  5. ASDA Papers / First Aid Q/A -- for self assessment
this is the order i am following for each subject ..

hi vdt!!! I need the chapters 1-6 from Okeson on TMJ. Could you please send it to me on [email protected]. I plan to give nbde by september. How are USMLE videos? Where can I find them?
Thanks for starting this post. Its really helpful!!!!!!

hi vdt!!! I need the chapters 1-6 from Okeson on TMJ. Could you please send it to me on [email protected]. I plan to give nbde by september. How are USMLE videos? Where can I find them?

Hi vdt could u please forward it to me too so that i`ll be done with the tmj and occlusion.my id is [email protected].
I`m done revising previous days topics.now i`ll move to d.histo.I think orbans will cover every detail needed.kaplan is only brief.
any advise is welcome.:)

Hi vdt could u please forward it to me too so that i`ll be done with the tmj and occlusion.my id is [email protected].
I`m done revising previous days topics.now i`ll move to d.histo.I think orbans will cover every detail needed.kaplan is only brief.
any advise is welcome.:)

yeah orbans would be the best read for oral histo .. covers all tht we need to know for the exam ..
enjoy !
keep us posted & motivated !

USMLE videos are very good source to start wid if u are studying after a good amount of time .. you should find them at kaplan center or try amazon ..

.Karyotypes of Germ Cells and Gametes.
.Cell.
.Karyotype.
.Primordial germ cell.
.46,2N.
.Female .
. .
.Oogonium.
.46,2N.
.Primary oocyte.
.46,4N.
.Secondary oocyte.
.23,2N.
.Mature oocyte.
.23,1N.
.Male .
. .
.Type A spermatogonium.
.46,2N.
.Type B spermatogonium.
.46,2N.
.Primary spermatocyte.
.23,2N.
.Secondary spermatocyte.
.23,1N.
.Spermatid.
.23,1N.

.A “full-term” human pregnancy ranges from 216 to 306 days with a modal length of 266 days. .
.Week 1-2: formation of zygote, .
. implantation and formation of bilaminar embryo . .
.Weeks 3-8: Embryonic period . .
.Weeks 9-38: Fetal period ..

i m going out for 3 days ...will be back on sunday than i will start with gross anatomy ...u guys study well till then ......i will join u all on monday :thumbup:

.A “full-term” human pregnancy ranges from 216 to 306 days with a modal length of 266 days. .
.Week 1-2: formation of zygote, .
. implantation and formation of bilaminar embryo . .
.Weeks 3-8: Embryonic period . .
.Weeks 9-38: Fetal period ..

:thumbup: Keep up the good work Toothfixer!

Fertilization - occurs in Ampulla.
Capacitation - changes occur in
glycoprotein coat of sperm.
Approximation - sperm reaches the ampulla of the uterine tube.
Penetration of Corona Radiata .- membrane-bound enzyme
.. hyaluronidase.. plays a role
..Penetration of Zona Pellucida -. sperm binds to the species-specific ..ZP3 receptor.. on the egg’s glycoprotein coat n triggers ..acrosomal reaction..,or the release of enzymes stored in the sperm’s acrosome (e.g. acrosin). .
...all mitochondria in the embryo (and all mitochondrial DNA) come from the mother...
. Cortical Reaction -Entry of a sperm into the egg triggers changes that prevent polyspermy .(Electrical depolarization of the egg’s surface or .cortical granules in the egg to release their contents).
.Fusion of Pronuclei - the egg completes its second meiotic division, resulting in a second polar body. The fertilized egg is now known as the zygote (“together”). .
.Cleavage -

• ordinary mitotic divisions ,increase in number of cells, no change in zygote size, Each cycle of division takes about 24 hours.
  • Individual cells - blastomeres.
  • Morula - 32-cell stage (L. “mulberry”), bilayered - inner cell mass and an outer cell mass. The inner cell mass will eventually become the embryo and fetus, while the outer cell mass will eventually become part of the placenta.
Blastocyst Formation -inner cell mass now known as the embryoblast, outer cell mass - trophoblast. .Implantation- The blastula sheds its zona pellucida(required for implantation to occur) One function of the zona pellucida is to prevent premature implantation..
.Attachment and Invasion-

• embryo attaches to and invades into the maternal endometrium.
  • trophoblast differentiates into the cytotrophoblast & syncytiotrophoblast.
  • embryo typically implants in the posterior superior wall of the uterus.
  • The response of the maternal endometrial cells to the invading embryo is called the decidual reaction.
. .
. .

. .