My MCAT 2015 Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Analysis of my May Exam*

I'm sharing my study schedule
(<-- link) that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

DISCLAIMER: There are no rest days integrated into the schedule. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that I think this schedule can or should be done without taking a break, because I definitely don't think that. Rather, you don't see any break days because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just used this as a guide to determine what order I did things in/pair up the various resources, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I don't feel like studying one day, I won't push it. If I'm really feeling five 8+ hour study days in a row, I'll go with it. And that's why you see what looks like an only-55 day schedule, because of the lack of pre-planned break days. PLEASE TAKE BREAKS!

These are the primary materials I ended up using (edited 6/8/15 for clarity):
  • 2015 EK set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
  • 2012-2013 TBR set, mostly for practice passages
  • AAMC CARS question packs
  • EK FLs
  • Official Guide 120 questions, taken as a half-length
  • AAMC Official Sample Test
Optional materials:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • The rest of the AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
  • Kaplan sectional exams for CARS, Biochem, and Behavioral Sciences (3 each)
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
Note: I rarely supplemented an EK chapter with other readings, it was just an option in case I needed the extra review.

A typical study day: I aimed for 6-8 hours a day, one EK (or TPR for Psych/Socio) chapter each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I would do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (Warning: this can take awhile--sometimes even a day's worth of studying--depending on how many passages there are. Don't feel obligated to complete all of the relevant passages. Also, for the physics and ochem books, the passage numbers refer to those in the 52 question exam, not the 25 question exam.) I liked to review my answers after each individual passage so that I could apply the knowledge I gained from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I moved onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I found that I did much better on them when I didn't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I took the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

SCORES ON STUFF (in order by date of completion):
(order: C/P | CARS | B/B | P/S | TOTAL)

Official Guide Half-Length: 21/30 (70%) | 29/30 (97%) | 21/30 (70%) | 23/30 (77%) | 94/120 (78%)

Official Sample Test: 37/59 (63%) | 47/53 (89%) | 42/59 (71%) | 52/59 (88%) | 177/230 (77%)

CARS Sample Pack 1a: 43/60 (72%)

EK FL 1: 38/59 (64%) | 41/53 (77%) | 43/59 (73%) | 49/59 (83%) | 171/230 (74%)

CARS Sample Pack 1b: 55/60 (92%)

EK FL 2: 38/59 (64%) | 38/53 (72%) | 37/59 (63%) | 49/59 (83%) | 162/230 (70%)

CARS Sample Pack 2a: 53/60 (88%)

EXAM SCORE: 125 | 130 | 125 | 128 | 508

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 users
Hi, sorry for the stupid question, but I am not sure what the roman numerals are referring to in:

Gen Chem Section 1: II-V, X-XII; Section 2: I-VII, IX;
Section 3: VII-X; and Section 9: all

Looking through the TBR 2016 Gen Chem book, I can't seem to find what fits those numbers. Section 1: Stoichiometry for example, is split into 2 sets of 3 passages numbered I, II, III + I, II, III.

Ah man, that's a bummer. They must have changed the layout of their practice passages. This schedule is based off the pre-MCAT 2015 TBR books (as the new ones weren't available when I was studying for it), so I guess you're on your own for figuring out appropriate passages here, sorry!

Ah man, that's a bummer. They must have changed the layout of their practice passages. This schedule is based off the pre-MCAT 2015 TBR books (as the new ones weren't available when I was studying for it), so I guess you're on your own for figuring out appropriate passages here, sorry!

Cool, so I figured out what was going on.

With TBR 2016:
- Bio books are nearly identical to pre-2015, same number of sections, same section names
- Gen Chem and Physics books have more sections and they are named slightly differently, and instead of more passages upfront, they are divided into Phase I + Phase II (usually 3 passages each) with more practice at the end that tie everything together (passages from multiple sections) in the form of Practice Exams
- Orgo doesn't have the Phases, but differently named sections e.g. Lipids, Spectroscopy instead of pre-2015 Hydrocarbon Reactions, Structure Elucidation

Overall, once I saw the names of the pre-2015 sections, it was pretty simple to figure out what the corresponding sections were in TBR 2016, and I even kind of like the Phase I + II style with a cumulative Practice Exam at the end over just more passages.
xEnUCuG.png

That in combination with how I'll be reading EK because TBR either puts me to sleep or drives me nuts, I'm excited to get started with your schedule!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Cool, so I figured out what was going on.

With TBR 2016:
- Bio books are nearly identical to pre-2015, same number of sections, same section names
- Gen Chem and Physics books have more sections and they are named slightly differently, and instead of more passages upfront, they are divided into Phase I + Phase II (usually 3 passages each) with more practice at the end that tie everything together (passages from multiple sections) in the form of Practice Exams
- Orgo doesn't have the Phases, but differently named sections e.g. Lipids, Spectroscopy instead of pre-2015 Hydrocarbon Reactions, Structure Elucidation

Overall, once I saw the names of the pre-2015 sections, it was pretty simple to figure out what the corresponding sections were in TBR 2016, and I even kind of like the Phase I + II style with a cumulative Practice Exam at the end over just more passages.
xEnUCuG.png

That in combination with how I'll be reading EK because TBR either puts me to sleep or drives me nuts, I'm excited to get started with your schedule!

Thanks!

Omg you're the best, thank you!! I'll add this to my post asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg you're the best, thank you!! I'll add this to my post asap.

Cool! And just for clarity:

- If the 2015 row is blank, the section # and the section name are exactly the same.
- If there is a roman numeral e.g. Orgo 2015 - (VI), then the section name is the same (Carbonyls and Alcohols), but the section # differs.
- Gen Chem 2015 - (II) Atomic Structure was a mistake - I meant to leave out the roman numeral cause it's the same section #. Same goes for Physics 2015 - the first (II) Forces and Torque cause it's the same section # (2), but yeah that new Physics book they combined Forces and Torque and split Light and Optics. Don't know why they gotta change it like that. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Hey mcatjelly (or anyone else who used TBR) just curious, when you were doing the TBR passages while doing content review how were they going? I've been very inconsistent and a little worried. Some passages I'll do perfect or neat perfect and then some I'll do horribly on (like half correct or less even sometimes). I write all my mistakes down so I can review them but was hoping to hear from you or anyone else with input how difficult they were for them? Kinda scared that once I get to actual full lengths and AAMC materials they'll be even harder but don't wanna waste AAMC stuff now since only 1/3 of the way through content review.

Sorry I keep asking a ton of questions but last thing (hopefully) I wanted to ask before getting back on the grind...

How do most people feel about the EK 30 min exams as well? There's always one passage I get completely wrecked on and I'm only scoring 14-17 out of 22 on them. Just wondering if that's normal as I'm getting worried so it'd be nice to have a reference from someone else for how difficult they thought these things were.

I have never had physiology, for people who didn't have physiology before taking the MCAT, did you try to review some of it? My time is pretty limited so I hope the answer is NO!! (July 22 2017 test date)

Hello! Thank you for creating such a wonderful thread. Before I saw this thread I already bought the Kaplan 7-book set as somebody offered a good deal on newly purchased, unused book and online resources. I do feel like I made the wrong choice as everybody is praising EK, but I think I did see a couple of comments floating in this thread that EK is concise whereas Kaplan is not, and I do need to delve deep in content review as I tend to forget things from retrievable knowledge easily, but once studied the material will come back.

Obviously, I am following the Kaplan version of your schedule, and I do have two questions about this version.
1. You have stated that the Kaplan schedule is unpolished. What exactly makes you say it is unpolished? (is it the order of content covered, the materials offered, the lining up of TBR and Kaplan material, etc?)
2. As I have chosen the Kaplan route, I do not have the EK 30-minute exams. The 30-minute exams sound like a great resource that could help me understand where I stand in terms of content, but I do not see any similar alternative. Is there any alternative you know of and recommend?

For content review I plan on making use of the Kaplan 7-book set (3rd edition) and all related material, TBR book set (most recent), KA for content I need extra brushing up on. For practice tests I will be following the schedule very closely, using the Kaplan Advanced 528, Kaplan FLs, and AAMC question packs. You list TPR FLs for exam practice, which I may do, but since I am ordering the TBR books anyway, would the TBR FLs suffice? (or maybe more FLs for more practice?! OR MAYBE just ditch the TBR FLs?!?!?!)

Hey mcatjelly (or anyone else who used TBR) just curious, when you were doing the TBR passages while doing content review how were they going? I've been very inconsistent and a little worried. Some passages I'll do perfect or neat perfect and then some I'll do horribly on (like half correct or less even sometimes). I write all my mistakes down so I can review them but was hoping to hear from you or anyone else with input how difficult they were for them? Kinda scared that once I get to actual full lengths and AAMC materials they'll be even harder but don't wanna waste AAMC stuff now since only 1/3 of the way through content review.
Sorry I keep asking a ton of questions but last thing (hopefully) I wanted to ask before getting back on the grind...

How do most people feel about the EK 30 min exams as well? There's always one passage I get completely wrecked on and I'm only scoring 14-17 out of 22 on them. Just wondering if that's normal as I'm getting worried so it'd be nice to have a reference from someone else for how difficult they thought these things were.

1) I definitely sucked at the TBR passages. They're meant to progress from easy --> hard and are often harder than AAMC material! Remember that the purpose of these passages is NOT to test yourself, but to further learn and apply the material. As long as you fully understand why you got a question wrong (or right!) and feel that you could successfully work through a similar problem, then you're doing fine.

2) EK exams are also very, very difficult! Again- are your mistakes because you didn't know your stuff, or was it a new scenario you encountered? If it's the former, then you need to spend more time reviewing the topic. If just got caught up in an unfamiliar approach, then now you know what to do.

I have never had physiology, for people who didn't have physiology before taking the MCAT, did you try to review some of it? My time is pretty limited so I hope the answer is NO!! (July 22 2017 test date)

I didn't take physiology and felt fine learning through the review books.

Hello! Thank you for creating such a wonderful thread. Before I saw this thread I already bought the Kaplan 7-book set as somebody offered a good deal on newly purchased, unused book and online resources. I do feel like I made the wrong choice as everybody is praising EK, but I think I did see a couple of comments floating in this thread that EK is concise whereas Kaplan is not, and I do need to delve deep in content review as I tend to forget things from retrievable knowledge easily, but once studied the material will come back.

Obviously, I am following the Kaplan version of your schedule, and I do have two questions about this version.
1. You have stated that the Kaplan schedule is unpolished. What exactly makes you say it is unpolished? (is it the order of content covered, the materials offered, the lining up of TBR and Kaplan material, etc?)
2. As I have chosen the Kaplan route, I do not have the EK 30-minute exams. The 30-minute exams sound like a great resource that could help me understand where I stand in terms of content, but I do not see any similar alternative. Is there any alternative you know of and recommend?

For content review I plan on making use of the Kaplan 7-book set (3rd edition) and all related material, TBR book set (most recent), KA for content I need extra brushing up on. For practice tests I will be following the schedule very closely, using the Kaplan Advanced 528, Kaplan FLs, and AAMC question packs. You list TPR FLs for exam practice, which I may do, but since I am ordering the TBR books anyway, would the TBR FLs suffice? (or maybe more FLs for more practice?! OR MAYBE just ditch the TBR FLs?!?!?!)

1. I never used the Kaplan schedule, so I don't know for a fact that the TBR passages line up well, and the test prep section isn't as well-thought out as the EK version's is. But you can just refer to the EK version for the second half. I also never ended up using the Advanced 528. So it's unpolished for all of the reasons you listed above.

2. EK is really the only prep company that offers thirty minute exams, to my knowledge- but I've been out of the MCAT zone for quite awhile now. I think the Kaplan books have online end of chapter passages? NextStep might have something similar in their passage books.

As for exam practice, I hiiiiighly recommend EK's exams- they're the best non-AAMC practice for the text, imho. If those are too pricey for you, then you could certainly buy TBR's, but I'm not sure how good/bad those are. (Again, a lot has changed between when I took the test using brand new, untested 2015 materials and now.) TPR and Kaplan exams are good for exam practice but are unnecessarily detail-oriented and so not reflective of the actual MCAT, and people score lower on these.

Reactions: 1 users
1) I definitely sucked at the TBR passages. They're meant to progress from easy --> hard and are often harder than AAMC material! Remember that the purpose of these passages is NOT to test yourself, but to further learn and apply the material. As long as you fully understand why you got a question wrong (or right!) and feel that you could successfully work through a similar problem, then you're doing fine.

2) EK exams are also very, very difficult! Again- are your mistakes because you didn't know your stuff, or was it a new scenario you encountered? If it's the former, then you need to spend more time reviewing the topic. If just got caught up in an unfamiliar approach, then now you know what to do.

Thats relieving to hear, thanks for all the help! I've been making note cards of all the concepts I got wrong and making note of why I got them wrong and how to actually do them. I already think it's helped a lot.

So it's been almost a month of studying and after all the TBR my EK scores went way up so things are looking good on that point. One question I wanted to ask was for CARS did you actually use the EK Verbal Reasoning strategies? I haven't done any formal CARS stuff besides practice passages from the old AAMC exams here and there and a lot of the time I do really well on them but sometimes I'll have a passage that completely wrecks me. COnsidering how well you did on CARS section do you recommend using the strategies or just keep doing more practice?

Also just a heads up for anyone using the Kaplan schedule. I highly recommend you change it around to split the days up in ways that work with your strengths. Chemistry and Organic chemistry were my strong points so I paired gen chem with bio and ochem with biochem and that left physics with psych.

Second more important suggestion. Kaplan's order in the physics book was very stupid on their part (at least if you plan on doing practice passages from TBR while reviewing like this awesome schedule suggests)!!!

Start off right away with the math skills and research skills information. That will make everything so much easier. I wish I had done that first rather than wasting my time blundering through math and research passages that could've been much more simplified. Also if you can use the EK sections for this. I used Kaplan for everything but this section. Kaplan is too long winded and boring in their explanations for these sections and go too much into details. EK makes it more interesting and provides easy shortcuts and good ways to remember things.

So is TPR complete set almost never used to study for the MCAT? Most study schedules I see use EK sets or Kaplan. I can't really seem to find much info on why one or the other is better, especially since I already have TPR books. Do you think I could modify this schedule to use TPR set, all the EK 101 passages, all the AAMC FL exams, and maybe some other practice banks/books to make an effective plan? If so, what other books could I use strictly for practice.

So is TPR complete set almost never used to study for the MCAT? Most study schedules I see use EK sets or Kaplan. I can't really seem to find much info on why one or the other is better, especially since I already have TPR books. Do you think I could modify this schedule to use TPR set, all the EK 101 passages, all the AAMC FL exams, and maybe some other practice banks/books to make an effective plan? If so, what other books could I use strictly for practice.

I'm nearing the end of my studying and I can tell you use whatever books you already have. This schedule is really easy to customize because you just need to match the topics with each other and most books cover them equally. TPR and Kaplan both go in more detail than exam kracker. I've been using this schedule customized to my materials (kaplan but I changed order around to fit a how I like it) TBRs main thing for this study schedule because of all the practice passages, the review books were the easier thing to customize. If you don't have TBR try maybe looking for older copies. I had the 2009 version and they still matched up perfectly topics wise. Very little has changed in that respect. (I'm sure with a little searching online you could find them pretty easily).

Hey everyone! This might seem like a silly question but I’m 1 month into studying and I’m now re-thinking my strategy. I really like @mcatjelly schedule but is it too late for me to start it?

Background- so I’ve been using the updated Kaplan set (2nd edition for content review) I’ve been doing 1-2 chapters in each section every day but without any passage questions following reading/taking notes on each chapter. So far I’m pretty much 1/4-1/2 done with each book.

So do you guys think it’ll be better for me to start @mcatjelly study plan from where I️ am left off or completely starting over.

PS. I’m thinking about buying EK books instead of using Kaplan if I were to start over.

Thanks in advance!

hello all. i have a question for what should be my course of action. i have the kaplan set, EK set and TBR set of book. i have been out of schhol for 10 year so i figured i needed a more in depth study so i bought TBR with the intent to read the chapter and do the passages but it is taking me forever to read one chapter. EK is great because i can read a chapter a day but not sure if its enough information. kaplan takes about two day to complete a chapter. i know for sure i am going to do the passages for tbr but do i really need to know all the information in the book to score above a 515? which content books should i use?

If I do not have the TBR books, where else can I source passages from? I only have Kaplan and the Kaplan online resources

If I do not have the TBR books, where else can I source passages from? I only have Kaplan and the Kaplan online resources

Honestly, if you don’t have the TBR books, my schedule isn’t going to be the best choice for you. The meat of my schedule entirely comes from the quality of their passages and corresponding solutions.

In order to complete the exam practice, do we only need to purchase Kaplan 528? For example when the plan says "Kaplan Biochem Exam 3" where is this test test coming from? Thanks, sorry for the confusion. Just want to make sure I get all the correct materials before starting.