My gf did well on the DAT. Can you guys tell me her chances and what the scores mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toaster95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is her second time applying, and it was her second DAT. Her first DAT was an AA of 21, but she had a lowish science score. I believe it was like 18-19. As far as her GPA goes, it's not astoundingly high...I think it lies somewhere around 3.4 now. It used to be 3.33, but she took 8 credits worth of Anatomy post-bachelor and got nothing but A's, so I think it's leaning close to 3.4 as of this cycle. Her science GPA was a little low, dipping near 3.0, but again, 2 A's in 8 credits probably brought that up a little.

Now, with context out of the way, here's her breakdown for her second DAT:

PA: 27 QR: 27 RC: 24 BIO: 20 GC: 22 OC: 26 TS: 22 AA: 24

I could give specific schools if that would help frame these references even better. From what I remember, she's applied to Stony Brook, NYU, Lecom, Buffalo, Arizona Still, Maryland, and Touro. I think she might've applied to a couple more, but she got rejected before she could retake the DAT. The only one that's offered her an interview for now is Lecom, but NYU has shown a lot of interest and basically said, "Come back with a bit of a better DAT." She's about to start writing/calling schools to report her new DAT score.

I'm not asking for a perfect accuracy prediction, but I really wanna show her support and prove that I know what all of these scores and things mean in conjunction with one another. Lastly, for extra context, I could add in some things that she's tacked on between last year's application and this year's. She started to work as an orthodontic assistant last year and averages ~30 hours per week, and she added at least 50-100 hours of volunteer work at an Alzheimer's charity in addition to the two A's in Anatomy.

Sorry if it's a bit long winded. I just really want to be able to understand what all of this means and how I can support her from her on out! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Idk much on the DAT except that it is similar to the OAT (I'm pre optometry lol), but! I absolutely love how you're trying to understand her scores more and supporting her! I wish I can find someone as caring as you lol. Her experiences sounds good in my opinion, that is as far as I can say since I'm not pre-dental.

Reactions: 1 user
Short version: 3.0 science would usually be a death sentence, but those scores are Overkill at every school in the country, including Harvard and Columbia.

I suspect they'll cancel each other out - she should be able to get interviews at some private and/or instate schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not pre-dental, but I know this much: LECOM's dental program is fairly new and not highly regarded, and NYU's program is obnoxiously expensive (~$500K).

She should probably just re-apply next cycle with her new DAT score. I doubt the schools that already rejected her will reconsider her for this cycle.

She should be good! Scores are excellent and she is showing a good upward trend in the science courses. Best of luck to her!