my first medic shift, help me help my medic!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiznat

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I looked at the schedule this week and I finally picked up a medic shift of my very own. I'm an EMT-B with about 1.5 years of experience, pretty much none of that has been on ALS shifts with medics. I've done probably about 5 of these shifts while I was precepting, but back then I hardly knew anything so I didnt really pick up much info.

Anyways so I have this shift this week. Anybody here have any advice on what I can do to best help my medic partner? I understand that I'm pretty much his EMT-B!tch/secretary helper but I'd still like to do the best I can at it because I want to keep this shift (ALS gets way better calls as we all know). I know how to spike bags and set up IVs, get his glucometer running and whatnot... also I understand all about driving nicely so that he doesnt bounce all over the place with the 8 gauge in his hand... but beyond that, anything that I should know specifically? Just a few quick things that might make me look a little better than another EMT-B monkey would definetly be a help.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Medics are all different in what they'll let EMT-B's do...some may have you spike lines, hook the pt up on the monitor, handle the paperwork and do vitals, etc.... Others won't let you touch the monitor. The first time I work with a medic, I kinda feel out what he will/won't let me do. Sometimes they'll come right out and ask how much I'm comfortable doing, which also works for me. Most medics in my area will let you do quite a bit (esp. w/ full arrests....where's the epi ;) ???)

anyway, gl. I have a lot of fun working on a medic/basic truck

raDiOnut

My EMT is expected to do the following, usually in this order:

-vital signs, pulse ox
-apply 02 if needed
-3-lead EKG & print me a strip
-prepare IV supplies, spike bag
-prepare glucometer

then, after I start an IV (if we remain on scene)
-use glucometer with blood from IV primer

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you already know the important skills to help make his/her life a little easier. It is important to learn to anticipate what the other person might need next. If it is looking like the medic will need to intubate: have suction ready, be ready to apply crichoid pressure, make sure the BVM is already plugged in to the O2 and reasy to go, etc. Knowing where the meds and other ACLS supplies are kept is very helpful particluarly during an arrest situation - you don't want to be wasting time rummaging around to find the epi.

Yeah, each medic is different. You will just have to figure out what they want...If in doubt ask the medic.

You have the gist of what is required though......

If in doubt ....ask!! :thumbup:

Just remember, BLS stands for basics lug ****
ALS stands for ain't lugging ****

Just kidding...sounds like you know what to do. Make sure you really know what you're doing before you do it....It's better to adimit that you don't know how to do something than to try to do it and screw it up.

fiznat said:
Well I looked at the schedule this week and I finally picked up a medic shift of my very own. I'm an EMT-B with about 1.5 years of experience, pretty much none of that has been on ALS shifts with medics. I've done probably about 5 of these shifts while I was precepting, but back then I hardly knew anything so I didnt really pick up much info.

Anyways so I have this shift this week. Anybody here have any advice on what I can do to best help my medic partner? I understand that I'm pretty much his EMT-B!tch/secretary helper but I'd still like to do the best I can at it because I want to keep this shift (ALS gets way better calls as we all know). I know how to spike bags and set up IVs, get his glucometer running and whatnot... also I understand all about driving nicely so that he doesnt bounce all over the place with the 8 gauge in his hand... but beyond that, anything that I should know specifically? Just a few quick things that might make me look a little better than another EMT-B monkey would definetly be a help.

Thanks guys!

Hey Fiznat
If you can do those things listed above then you're ahead of the game. The only other things I could suggest would be to:
1. Learn how to hook up the EKG monitor to the patient and print out a strip. 2. If your unit is equipped with 12 lead EKG, learn how to hook that up and obtain a print out.
3. Learn where the drugs are and what is what and remember to ALWAYS read the labels no matter how sure you are that you picked up furosemide instead of epi.
4. Do good BLS assessment and skills.
Remember paramedics may save patients but EMTs save paramedics.
-niko

I've always had an equal partnership with my EMT's I expect them to be able to take VS and assess a pt as well as I can. If it's a matter of being a newbie then I have no problem educating them. The last EMS job I held was as a Critical Care Transport Nurse. The EMT I worked with was excellent. He had a background as an Army Medic so he could even the read the EKG's for me with in reason. He always got the pt assessed, applied the monitor and got a baseline vitals for me, also put the pt on 02 if needed and switched over the IVs from the hospital pump to ours. I programmed the pump for him. He always asked me if it was ready before he activated it. He was great with the portable vent we used to. This guy was one standup individual and great partner. He made my job and pt's experience very easy.

Ask the medic. It's that simple. Don't assume he/she wants you to do nothing or conversely everything. Most importantly, never, never, never, question or argue with the medic in front of a patient because of the way you learned something in school. This isn't saying that the medic is always right or that you should provide slave labor. It is an issue of professionalism. Instead, you need to raise the issue with the medic AFTER the call (unless the perceived error is going to threaten the patients life). Most likely, it's going to be a good learning experience for both of you.

Perhaps the biggest change will be that of the transition from lead medic to assistant medic. Don't step on toes. You wouldn't like it if your first responder partner jumped in and started doing your job when you were lead medic. Have the same respect.

I agree with ask the medic. And I agree with not mentioning something during a call...now this should be limited to emergencies in which you feel as though a paramedic is getting ready to do something that could harm the patient. Although this shouldn't happen very often, or if ever, it is an exception to the rule of waiting till the end of the call to inquire about patient management, etc. Its very easy for paramedics to get a little focused in on the patient, and not be aware of everything else going on around the scene, and that's where the EMT can really make an impact.

With 8 years of EMS experience, and formerly an EMT school instructor, I was always most impressed with the EMT's that could anticipate the Paramedics' needs. Doesn't always mean knowing how to set stuff up, b/c you may not learn something in EMT school, but try to be prepared when possible.

And don't be lazy...try to make sure the truck is ready to go and be a part of the team. IMHO, the EMT's last responsibility is to drive me around. And, if the system allowed it, and it was a basic level call, time to get in the back and let the medic drive. :)