My Eras question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The FYGME directions say that we have to withdraw from the other matches if we match in the army. Anyone know how to go about withdrawing from them? Or am I automatically withdrawn if I never rank ordered anything?

Members don't see this ad.

texdrake said:
The FYGME directions say that we have to withdraw from the other matches if we match in the army. Anyone know how to go about withdrawing from them? Or am I automatically withdrawn if I never rank ordered anything?

If you are still a medical student, then your school has to withdraw for you. In that case, you can't withdraw until the rank-order system opens on January 15th. Just make sure the school does it before February 15th, when the rank order system closes. If you're already a physician and are returning to GME, then you can withdraw yourself.

texdrake said:

Here's what I found on the eras website:

1. How can I withdraw my AMCAS application?
To withdraw your application, AMCAS must receive a signed written request before your file begins the Verification process. Once the file has been withdrawn, it cannot be reactivated for that application year. You do not need to request a withdrawal if you have not submitted your AMCAS application.
Your withdrawal request must include your name, AAMC ID #, social security number, date of birth, reason for withdrawal, your signature, and the following statement:
"I understand that the decision to withdraw my 2006 AMCAS application is final and that once withdrawn, I will not be able to be re-instated."
You may send your request via fax or mail to:
AMCAS
2450 N Street NW Washington
DC 20037-1300
Fax: (202) 828-1120
Please Note: An application cannot be withdrawn if monies are owed to AMCAS. All monies must be paid before an application can be withdrawn. If your AMCAS application has completed processing, it may not be withdrawn and you will not receive a refund.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS is the application for medical school. ERAS is the application for residency. The NRMP is the match. They are all separate entities. You have to go through ERAS to apply for the military residencies. It costs money ($75?) to register for the NRMP, which you don't get reimbursed for. When I went through the process I waited to register for the NRMP until after the Army match, that way I didn't have to go through the hassle of withdrawing. But, if you get a civilian deferral if you wait to register for the NRMP until after 15 Dec you will incur a late fee.

bogatyr said:
AMCAS is the application for medical school. ERAS is the application for residency. The NRMP is the match. They are all separate entities. You have to go through ERAS to apply for the military residencies. It costs money ($75?) to register for the NRMP, which you don't get reimbursed for. When I went through the process I waited to register for the NRMP until after the Army match, that way I didn't have to go through the hassle of withdrawing. But, if you get a civilian deferral if you wait to register for the NRMP until after 15 Dec you will incur a late fee.

Sorry, I posted the wrong thing (about amcas). I actually got an email from nrmp today saying that they withdrew me. It must just be an automatic thing if you match in the military.