My buddies being snatched up by nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gollum1985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three friends that go to different medical schools. All three are either married or are in serious relationships with a nurse. At my undergrad one of my professors told me that he has heard nursing students say they just go into nursing school to find and marry a doctor. What are your guys experiences with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm married to a nurse. Although, we were dating long before she became one.
I think that the lifestyles mesh well, and it helps to have someone who will understand what you're going through while you're in school and in your career.

Also, you literally work with nurses each day, and the field is largely female. Pairing off is bound to happen.

Reactions: 9 users
" heard nursing students say they just go into nursing school to find and marry a doctor." I'm pretty sure I dated one of these. Avoid lol. Its the exception though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have dated one of those and now I am married to a surgeon. Much better.

The nurse I was dating was also seeing another medical student. (i was a resident at that time) I dropped as soon as I realized she was doing that. He never found out and I think they got engaged. I didn't really feel a need to disclose since I do not know that med student and I do not want to stir up drama in the hospital as a resident.

Reactions: 3 users
At my undergrad one of my professors told me that he has heard nursing students say they just go into nursing school to find and marry a doctor. What are your guys experiences with this?

I knew one like that. In her first year she had been with 5-6 different docs and had lots of nice jewelry to show for it, but of course no long term relationship.

She's a dog groomer now.

Reactions: 5 users
I have three friends that go to different medical schools. All three are either married or are in serious relationships with a nurse. At my undergrad one of my professors told me that he has heard nursing students say they just go into nursing school to find and marry a doctor. What are your guys experiences with this?
Those who marry for money, earn it.

Reactions: 10 users
I knew one like that. In her first year she had been with 5-6 different docs and had lots of nice jewelry to show for it, but of course no long term relationship.

She's a dog groomer now.
The one time I wish SDN had the "reaction" button like FB does... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Hmm
Care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's a saying. The type of marriage you get when you marry for money is so much work/ or you have to put up with so much bs quietly, that you essentially earn the money you were chasing to be married to that person.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
Pfft, even an 8 year old can tell you that waiters marry waitresses, stewardesses marry pilots, and nurses marry doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that the lifestyles mesh well, and it helps to have someone who will understand what you're going through while you're in school and in your career.

Very true. My wife appreciates that we have at least some shared vocabulary.

The other helpful thing is that nursing (and pharmacy, for that matter) is shift work. Our household runs much smoother since one of us has at least somewhat regular hours.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Lucky guys. Unfortunately nurses have a sixth sense for your Step score and hence how you will match. Given my predicament and lack of a promising career given my score, they ignore me.

Reactions: 20 users
Lucky guys. Unfortunately nurses have a sixth sense for your Step score and hence how you will match. Given my predicament and lack of a promising career given my score, they ignore me.

Lmao. Are you sure it's not because of your doom and gloom attitude? FACT: Us nurses love funny guys.

stay away from nurses unless u wanna pay 200k in child support monthly

stay away from nurses unless u wanna pay 200k in child support monthly

dude, youd have to have 26 kids +/- siamese twins with one nurse to have that much child support

2.4 million in annual child support?

even you cant believe that post, right?

Pfft, even an 8 year old can tell you that waiters marry waitresses, stewardesses marry pilots, and nurses marry doctors.

stewardesses sleep with pilots (who are usually married) but they dont marry them.

what 8 year old have you been seeking advice from?

Remember folks, for every 8 year old, there is a Chris Hansen hiding around the corner.

Last edited:
tfw when nurses never give you attention but you kinda want it :/

Health professions and allied health pairings makes sense. You're bound to spend time talking with others in the health field---I kinda always thought med students would probably also date PA and PT students.

In my personal experience the rest of the staff (assistants, translators, techs) is way more chill, tends to be younger and better looking than nurses. Social workers are a notable exception though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I dated a lot of different girls in med school and residency. Ultimately I married an ED nurse. It's nice to be able to talk to someone about work who understands when you are frustrated. We also still work together which is actually pretty fun. /shrug. Marry whoever you want to marry.

It suits some guys with their superiority complex!

How boring. What's attractive about someone who does the same job as you, on a lesser level?

How boring. What's attractive about someone who does the same job as you, on a lesser level?

So she can understand why it's so awesome when your anesthesia buddy showed up with multiple IV starter kits and banana bags in Vegas.

I don't feel like explaining to a partner in business or fashion what bananabag means.

So she can understand why it's so awesome when your anesthesia buddy showed up with multiple IV starter kits and banana bags in Vegas.

I don't feel like explaining to a partner in business or fashion what bananabag means.

Not to be a dick, but you wouldn't rather learn about something like business/fashion/engineering from your partner? They can teach you about their field while you can teach them about yours. In a nurse-doctor relationship, well, they can teach you nothing and you don't have to explain what a banana bag is.

Reactions: 2 users
Not to be a dick, but you wouldn't rather learn about something like business/fashion/engineering from your partner? They can teach you about their field while you can teach them about yours. In a nurse-doctor relationship, well, they can teach you nothing and you don't have to explain what a banana bag is.

I am with a surgeon so she can teach me plenty, but I am sure that nursing have plenty to teach me as well.

I have dated world travelers, editors and artists, but I ultimately find myself drawn to a fellow physician or at least a scientist. It's just a personal preference, that I prefer to share my life with someone who can really share my sorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't mind it as I'd like to have someone who gets why healthcare providers are the way they are, but I'd like to try to avoid the "marry the money" types.