Music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhoh!

Phobophile
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i thought we were "polluting" the other thread, and decided to start a new thread..wasn't too much of a distraction for the people on the Interviews 2006 thread, i hope!
Fenriz said:
No self-respecting headbanger doesn't know Gene Hoglan, the drumming mastermind behind Dark Angel and Death.
am so glad we're on the same page!!
Dude, if you can play like Hoglan we should get together.
:wow: you kidding me?? no where close..maybe do a decent jon bonham, but that was before med school took away my drum kit.. :( now i harness my talents by trying to type in double bass!
I can play any metal...no problem.
again.. :wow:
If you're into drummers I don't know if you've ever heard of Tony Laureano (Angelcorpse, Nile..)
wasn't he the "Black Seeds of Vengance" & "In Their Darkened Shrines" dude..he is good. the thing about Hoglan i like the most is that he "plays" with his kit, and not so much concentrates on beating the $hit out of it..similarly, Richard Christy on Sounds of Perseverance, or Flo Mournier on None So Vile also go beyond the fast-and-furious mode..that's why Jon Bonham stays up there in my book. while his contemporaries were in the 1-2-3-4 mode, he was doing a double bass kick on "Good Times,Bad Times"..without a double bass pedal!!
i stopped listening to Dimmu after i heard Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.i thought THAT it was a downer, then i heard Obituary's The End Complete..its not that bands shouldn't experiment.that's all Chuck had done with Death,esp Sounds of Perseverance. However,there is a world of difference between trying a new sound, and selling out..
..I'm actually doing a presentation for my path externship on infectious causes of brain tumors (inspired by Chuck and James Murphy. Two guys in the same band both get gliomas? What are the odds?)
that is so beyond cool! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
dont you just love it when you get to do something which combines 2(or more) fields you love..
and maybe the horns symbol is something like >-D
but this is another mis-conception.metal is not all about "devil worship", though there are some bands which claim to do so..for me, its all about fast, powerful, yet complex music..and maybe some gore thrown in!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

wasn't he the "Black Seeds of Vengance" & "In Their Darkened Shrines" dude..he is good.

He only played on "In Their Darkened Shrines"...their original drummer Pete Hammoura played on "Black Seeds..." but had to retire after that album due to a chronic shoulder injury (I guess blast beating for that many years will do that to you). I think Laureano does also manage to be graceful in the context of a death metal band, e.g. outro drums to "Sarcophagus" (track 3 of ITDS). My favorite drummer currently....

Flo Mournier on None So Vile

Love Cryptopsy...there was a show recently in NYC with Cryptopsy, Suffocation and Vader. Would have loved to go but didn't have the cash. Oh well... The new album is, well, different but Flo sounds un-frickin-believable. Great production on the drums on the new album though...great sound with no overdubs, no triggers...just pure talent.

i stopped listening to Dimmu after i heard Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

I've never really been into Dimmu but I did like "Enthrone..." though I've never heard the earlier stuff. For black metal I tend to favor the blackest stuff: Dissection, Mayhem and, more recently, Watain to name a few.

for me, its all about fast, powerful, yet complex music..and maybe some gore thrown in!!
definitely...
If you like complex, check out a band called Atheist (if you haven't already). Cult legends...they just recently re-released their entire (3 album) catalog, remastered. Definitely complex, thinking-man's metal.

Anyhow...I could go on all day. Keep up the drumming and good luck on the interviews!

This is a great thread. I'm curious what music all you pathologists out there are listening to. I can't say that I'm into metal as much as you guys though. I do like a band called Killswitch Engage but they are more hardcore/popcore than metal really. Some of my favorites include The Used, Anberlin, Bright Eyes, The Format. If I'm in a mellow mood: Iron & Wine, Garden State Soundtrack (good studying music), and Snow Patrol.

Its always good to be able to make use of the iPod while grossing/previewing etc. Man, you gotta love that about pathology. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really more into blues, folk-type stuff (Dylan, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, etc). But I love that head-bangers are going into pathology.

Rock on.

DrPlum - the Garden State soundtrack is great! Some other residents and I were just discussing it a few days ago. It's favorite iPod material around here.

I have yet to get an iPod. :eek: I think I'm going to use my educational fund for it this Christmas. After all, you can listen to Osler on it. :smuggrin:

Love the Garden State soundtrack, as well! :thumbup:

I'm probably the dork of the bunch. I listen to just about anything, and I enjoy finding new music using i-tunes. If it's jangly alterna-pop, I probably love it (The smiths, velocity girl, lush, ride, the sundays, my bloody valentine). I as well used to play the drums in my former life, and grew up trying to be the next John Bonham or Lars Ulrich! Perhaps a SDN Pathology garage CD compilation is in order!

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Love the Garden State soundtrack, as well! :thumbup:

I'm probably the dork of the bunch. I listen to just about anything, and I enjoy finding new music using i-tunes. If it's jangly alterna-pop, I probably love it (The smiths, velocity girl, lush, ride, the sundays, my bloody valentine). I as well used to play the drums in my former life, and grew up trying to be the next John Bonham or Lars Ulrich! Perhaps a SDN Pathology garage CD compilation is in order!

Major influences - classical rock

Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Dire straits, Aqualung

Also listen to electronic/techno/trance bands around - Robert Miles, Atomic train, Shrooms and a whole lot of others.

Like the jangly pop stuff too....Am a failed drummer. It is one of the longings of my life to learn western drumming. I can play a classical Indian drum though ( A wee bit)

Ill buy the SDN pathology garage CD for sure! :laugh:

looks like another cryptic connection- path residency2006 applicants and the drums!! :cool:
one of my biggest regrets ever is that i had to sell my drum kit when i entered Med School..have been on-and-off others' kits, but no where as regular or as good as then.. :( tried my hand at guitaring, but never could make the time to practice(lazy, busy, missed the drums)
BUT..i have big plans for residency! Numero uno will be to buy my first I-Pod(not the fancy small one, but the one with the biggest memory-more bang for buck!! :D )
then, Bose headphones(will be worth every cent)
and then a Bass guitar(Rhythm section a la drums,the volume can be turned down,takes up less space, and i have 4 years to get any good ;) )
admire(and envy) people like Fenriz who could keep up their instruments..
Fenriz- btw, you heard the County Medical Examiners?
Quant- do you mean the Tabla?

Gotta luv the props for the Garden State soundtrack! I knew pathologists had the best taste in the hospital. I can't get 'new slang' out of my head. I just have to listen over and over while I'm studying.

quant said:
nope the mridangam...Do you know it?
One of the most energetic (and free!) musical performances I ever heard was pure drums - involving the tabla and mridangam alongside Chinese drums and rebana, among other things :)

My list is all over the map:

choral/classical - I don't know enough to talk about them separately
Liz Phair/Aimee Mann/Lene Marlin types
Coldplay/Keane
Matchbox 20/Five for Fighting
Sarah McLachlan/Dido/Natalie Merchant
Cowboy Junkies/Alison Krauss
Matthew Good
Evanescence
Sarah Brightman (before her extremely sucky current album)
Loreena McKennitt

And that's just the stuff in English ;)

Even if the list doesn't really reflect it, I'm guilty of pawing through most guys' CD collections - from personal experience they both have (a) more CDs and (b) more variety than the girls I know.

quant said:
nope the mridangam...Do you know it?
as a matter of fact..yes! have a cousin who is currently learning it. i have always found the rhythm patterns of Carnatic classical music really complex..someday i hope to appreciate it better than i do now.somehow, the vocals put me off everytime i listen to any classical music.
i learnt a bit of the tabla as a kid..

deschutes said:
..most guys' CD collections - from personal experience they both have (a) more CDs and (b) more variety than the girls I know.
:D :D :laugh:
is more variety always=better taste? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
uhoh! said:
is more variety always=better taste? ;)
Excellent question!

The answer is of course, No. But variety gives I think, at least a basis for building taste. So often people criticize without having experienced.

I'm not into heavy metal myself, but that doesn't mean I think people shouldn't listen to it.

Btw have you heard the punk rock coming out of China? :p

deschutes said:
So often people criticize without having experienced.
i agree..just because i can't appreciate something doesn't mean it is total rubbish(though i may not see it in any other light!!)
in fact i feel this is true for any form of art..no point being rabidly pro- or anti- anything, especially if you are as non-confrontational as me. i just drop it when i don't agree.dont see any point shoving my opinions down anyone's throat, just as i dont like people telling me what i "should" like..that being said, some stuff out there IS pure and total cr@p!
deschutes said:
Btw have you heard the punk rock coming out of China? :p
no..but i have heard brutal death metal from malaysia&thailand!!

deschutes said:
One of the most energetic (and free!) musical performances I ever heard was pure drums - involving the tabla and mridangam alongside Chinese drums and rebana, among other things :)

I never got the chance to hear rebana drumming, though i d love to. I ve been to some Taiko drumming concerts (Japanese), Quite amazing i must say. I strongly recommend Yamato, a group which does Taiko drumming and tours USA often.

Also, The tabla gets a lot of publicity, But i love a musical drumming instrument called "Pakhawaj". The sounds of a pakhawaj are ethereal,deep and delicate at the same time!

Sometimes I listen to music while I preview slides. Two things I have noticed:

Saturday - listened to Slayer and Motorhead. I was calling many cancers moderately to poorly differentiated and high grade.

Sunday - listened to Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos #1 and #2. I swear those cancers were well differentiated and low grade.

I think listening to metal really brings out those nucleoli and mitotic figures!

I wonder if previewing while on acid will make the nuclei more bizarre and pleiomorphic.

AngryTesticle said:
Sometimes I listen to music while I preview slides. Two things I have noticed:

Saturday - listened to Slayer and Motorhead. I was calling many cancers moderately to poorly differentiated and high grade.

Sunday - listened to Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos #1 and #2. I swear those cancers were well differentiated and low grade.

I think listening to metal really brings out those nucleoli and mitotic figures!

I wonder if previewing while on acid will make the nuclei more bizarre and pleiomorphic.

I think it would make for a fascinating thesis....

"The neuro-cognitive influences of acid-rock versus classical music on diagnostic outcomes of tissue pathology"

:laugh:

You can sense the contempt i have psychologists!....

Has anyone checked out Matisyahu? He's an Orthodox Jewish rapper with strong regee and jam band influence. Good stuff. Popular with the college crowd.

deschutes said:
Cowboy Junkies

Cowboy Junkies! :love:

Probably one of the best-sounding albums ever was The Trinity Session. Very atmospheric.

That, and "A Storm in Heaven" from the Verve.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Probably one of the best-sounding albums ever was The Trinity Session. Very atmospheric.
I first heard Blue Moon Revisited on the radio when driving home one night - what a voice!

Alison Krauss's "New Favourite" (or should that be "favorite") comes to mind. So does Amy Lee from Evanescence - underneath all that black and loud electric guitar her voice has a similar clarity.

I forgot Ani DiFranco and Sigur Rós when posting my original list.

Mp3's by the latter can be legally downloaded (O enlightened beings!) here:
http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/
Despite the .uk, they are Icelandic. Atmospheric, in a different way :)

The site's News page even has a video of a track performance off their newest album.

Thought I'd chime in on who I think are the best metal drummers out there (in no particular order)...

Charlie Benante - Anthrax / SOD
Nick Menza - Megadeth
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Abe Cunningham - deftones
Vinnie Paul - Pantera

AngryTesticle said:

One pleasant Friday evening during my first month of surg path I was a bit buzzed and we were looking at some GI biopsy to rule out GVHD, and the apoptotic bodies were just jumping out at me. I swear I could see that ****e at like 4x. I am inclined to say that my diagnostic skills are non-existent unless I've got a nice buzz going.

BTW, in accordance with the thread, I am a huge Ben Harper fan. Mike Doughty (formerly of Soul Coughing) and Radiohead are also excellent.

I am a fan of Sigur Rós. They have a really unique sound- very good for studying. I also love Allison Kraus and Amy Lee. Evanesence got severely overplayed, but they have some powerful music if you take it aside from the overcommercialization.

Anybody have a guilty pleasure that you wouldn't admit to someone that you liked, that brings a cheesy smile to your face when you hear it? To me its Fall Out Boy. I know its teenager music, but I can't help but sing along with the pop and stuff. :rolleyes:

anencephalic said:
Thought I'd chime in on who I think are the best metal drummers out there (in no particular order)...

Charlie Benante - Anthrax / SOD
Nick Menza - Megadeth
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Abe Cunningham - deftones
Vinnie Paul - Pantera

Best metal drummers, eh? Lombardo is definitely up there but here's my other top 4 in no particular order:
1.) Proscriptor - drummer/lyricist from Texan black metal band Absu; imagine the complexity of Bill Bruford or Billy Cobham sped up ten times. Oh, that and the fastest double bass I've heard...

2.) Tony Laureano - see my previous posts. Currently in Dimmu Borgir, formerly of Nile and Angelcorpse. Still my favorite guy...fast, heavy, graceful and versatile all at the same time.

3.) Flo Mournier - drumming maniac from Cryptopsy. This guy dont' need no stinkin' triggers...

4.) Gene Hoglan - it's all about the aviator sunglasses.
So many I've missed...Richard Christy, Tim Yeung, Pete Sandoval, Janne Sarenpaa. I could go on and on...

ANGRY TESTICLE: awesome handle and avatar! Keep rockin' the Motorhead and Slayer!

UCSFbound said:
One pleasant Friday evening during my first month of surg path I was a bit buzzed and we were looking at some GI biopsy to rule out GVHD, and the apoptotic bodies were just jumping out at me. I swear I could see that ****e at like 4x. I am inclined to say that my diagnostic skills are non-existent unless I've got a nice buzz going.
One night, I went out to dinner and had 4 beers. Ended up staying out until almost 9 pm. Then I had to come back and preview a few boxes worth of cases...ended up getting around half of my diagnoses wrong. I don't think I will employ this strategy again.

AngryTesticle said:
One night, I went out to dinner and had 4 beers. Ended up staying out until almost 9 pm. Then I had to come back and preview a few boxes worth of cases...ended up getting around half of my diagnoses wrong. I don't think I will employ this strategy again.

Looking ahead to being an R1, I feel like I will be lucky to get half my diagnoses right, under the influence or not!

Fenriz said:
Best metal drummers, eh? Lombardo is definitely up there but here's my other top 4 in no particular order:
1.) Proscriptor - drummer/lyricist from Texan black metal band Absu; imagine the complexity of Bill Bruford or Billy Cobham sped up ten times. Oh, that and the fastest double bass I've heard...

2.) Tony Laureano - see my previous posts. Currently in Dimmu Borgir, formerly of Nile and Angelcorpse. Still my favorite guy...fast, heavy, graceful and versatile all at the same time.

3.) Flo Mournier - drumming maniac from Cryptopsy. This guy dont' need no stinkin' triggers...

4.) Gene Hoglan - it's all about the aviator sunglasses.
So many I've missed...Richard Christy, Tim Yeung, Pete Sandoval, Janne Sarenpaa. I could go on and on...

ANGRY TESTICLE: awesome handle and avatar! Keep rockin' the Motorhead and Slayer!

Certainly agree with Nick Menza and Vinnie Paul. Vinnie Paul is really awesome at the double bass pedal. His best skills come out in the Vulgar Display of Power album and somewhat less in Cowboys from Hell.

Also agree about Dave Lombardo...that guy is pretty old now but he can still play some mean speed metal drums.

To add to the above list, I think Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater has a lot of talent, but that whole band does. The guitarist and bass player (John Petrucci and John Myung) have an extensive classical background from their days at the Berkelee School of Music which is one of the best music schools in the country).

beary said:
Looking ahead to being an R1, I feel like I will be lucky to get half my diagnoses right, under the influence or not!
It was certainly nice to have the same sentiments when I was in your shoes last year.

Fenriz said:
1.) Proscriptor
2.) Flo Mournier - drumming maniac from Cryptopsy. This guy dont' need no stinkin' triggers...
3.) Gene Hoglan - it's all about the aviator sunglasses.
listening to Dillinger Escape Plan, Brutal Truth and Dying Fetus after a looong time..now that's groove!! haven't ever really got down to listening to Morbid Angel..dunno why, just haven't.got some albums on MP3 though..which one do you suggest i start with?
hey AngryT-still listening to South of Heaven?

uhoh! said:
listening to Dillinger Escape Plan, Brutal Truth and Dying Fetus after a looong time..now that's groove!!
hey AngryT-still listening to South of Heaven?
Listened to that album last night, as a matter of fact. Forgot to bring that CD into work today which would've been good for my autopsy today.

AngryTesticle said:
Also agree about Dave Lombardo...that guy is pretty old now but he can still play some mean speed metal drums.

I think Dave Lombardo is the fastest drummer I've ever heard (in my somewhat limited speed metal exposure). I remember trying, in vain, to drum with him listening to the "reign in blood" album. :laugh:

Brian Pavlovitz said:
I remember trying, in vain, to drum with him listening to the "reign in blood" album. :laugh:
:laugh: been there... :oops: :oops: :D

I've also been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden. Nicko McBrain is a pretty wicked drummer too.

If you're a maiden fan, I suggest watching the DVD called "Iron Maiden, the Early Years." It's a great documentary of the band's beginnings and development. Plus, the concert footage is pretty awesome.

AngryTesticle said:
I've also been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden. Nicko McBrain is a pretty wicked drummer too.

If you're a maiden fan, I suggest watching the DVD called "Iron Maiden, the Early Years." It's a great documentary of the band's beginnings and development. Plus, the concert footage is pretty awesome.

Man, I love this thread!

To UhOh: My favorite Morbid Angel album is their first, Altars of Madness, but this is mainly because it's just got this great evil, black, real old-school feel. Pete's drumming is good on this but it's good on all the albums...Formulas Fatal to the Flesh and Gateways to Annhilation have some pretty good drumming even if they're not Morbid Angel's strongest offerings. Their latest disc actually has a drum solo ("Drum Check" track 13) that shows Pete in all his double kick glory. I can't even air drum through the whole thing...get too tired! Hahaha!

To Brian Pavlovitz: aaahhhh, my friend...you have some exploring to do! Check out Pete from Morbid Angel (way faster than Lombardo) and, like I said, Proscriptor from Absu. A song called "She Cries the Quiet Lake"...insane double bass.

I've actually been listening to more Maiden recently myself: Powerslave and Somewhere in Time, particularly. As for drummers though, I really prefer their original guy Clive Burr. He was neve too flashy but he had a really great natural groove and rhythm that I think was key to Maiden developing their trademark triplet gallop. The same goes for Kim Ruzz, the original drummer for Mercyful Fate.

Like I say...I could go on and on...

Thrash til death...

Fenriz said:
I've actually been listening to more Maiden recently myself: Powerslave and Somewhere in Time, particularly. As for drummers though, I really prefer their original guy Clive Burr. He was neve too flashy but he had a really great natural groove and rhythm that I think was key to Maiden developing their trademark triplet gallop. The same goes for Kim Ruzz, the original drummer for Mercyful Fate.

Like I say...I could go on and on...

Thrash til death...
Yeah, I really love Maiden's early stuff. I like a lot of their songs up to their Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album (love the song, "Can I Play with Madness"!).

Clive Burr...ah yes...he was the drummer for much of their earlier stuff. I think as time went on, Maiden's songs have become more sophisticated and rhythmically more complex. Unfortunately, this was around the time when Nicko replaced Clive. I too think Clive was a good drummer too and I agree that he wasn't flashy. But, I don't think the current state of the band and their songs really tested his potential either. So Clive's true skill, with respect to his time with Maiden, probably wasn't fully represented.

I do love the catchy triplet gallop! Especially in the songs "Run to the Hills" and "Running Free".

Long Live Heavy Metal! Still stuck in the 80's, man. I really can't tolerate the new **** that's been coming out these days. And whoever thought that it would be en vogue to eliminate fast-riff guitar solos from songs should be shot at first sight.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Even better: I only had a single bass drum! Not even a double pedal! :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: ..difficult, but not impossible.check out Jon Bonham in "Good Times, Bad Times"..the first time i noticed it, i was like OMFG :wow: ..been a fan since.
Feniz: i get bushed trying to air-drum to "Behind The Crooked Cross"! :oops: what about Autopsy's Chris Reifert..so frickin' heavy! and Sean Reinert!..been re-listening to my Death Cds..As the maiden song goes:"Only the good die young..". what a loss!!seriously, i can think of very few bands which have gone beyond the 1-2 seminal albums.they just seem implode while trying to live up to the pressure of making another album as awesome..hate it when a band i liked in one album so totally sucks donkeys balls in the next.
Brian: i think you should try getting Obituary's Cause of Death..that's the CD where i heard double bass for the first time.Don Tardy fast but not insanely so,and the mix is really good(and James Murphy is on guitars!!)..once the double-bass demon gets you,from one drummer-to-another, there is no turning back!most of the other drummers seem wimps..unless exceptionally talented(like Bonzo!)

uhoh! said:
: what about Autopsy's Chris Reifert..so frickin' heavy! and Sean Reinert!..been re-listening to my Death Cds..

Absolutely...I still love Severed Survival! Reifert and Reinert are the kings. I've been meaning to pick up Ridden With Disease for a while now...will hopefully get around to it soon.

Speaking of Maiden though gets me thinking about the New Wave of British Heavy Metal and a band called Angel Witch. Don't know if any of you guys have heard of this band but if you haven't do yourself a huge favor and go out and pick up their first album (self-titled). These guys played with Maiden back in the day and were a major influence on Metallica. If you listen to the first album you'll understand why. This was (and still is) some of the best heavy metal you can hear...

AngryTesticle and Uhoh: they better not put all of us in the same residency program or else the other non-metal residents will definitely be unhappy! Hahahaha....

Full horns...

Fenriz said:
Speaking of Maiden though gets me thinking about the New Wave of British Heavy Metal and a band called Angel Witch. Don't know if any of you guys have heard of this band but if you haven't do yourself a huge favor and go out and pick up their first album (self-titled). These guys played with Maiden back in the day and were a major influence on Metallica. If you listen to the first album you'll understand why. This was (and still is) some of the best heavy metal you can hear...
I definitely have heard of Angel Witch although I haven't heard their first album. I just heard a few songs of theirs, by chance, and I thought they were awesome. I'm aware of them touring with Maiden years ago...well it wasn't really touring. I think they were playing on the same ticket back in the day when Maiden was playing in clubs and small venues. I think I'm thinking of the right band...didn't Angel Witch play on the same ticket with Maiden and Samson way back in the day?
AngryTesticle and Uhoh: they better not put all of us in the same residency program or else the other non-metal residents will definitely be unhappy! Hahahaha....

Full horns...
Well, I doubt you'll be at a residency where there is music playing loudly in the residents room. When I preview, I usually listen with headphones. One exception though...I do crank up the music in the morgue. And this is partly the reason why. These days when we do an autopsy, we have to call the first year HST students because they have to observe an autopsy before mid-December. Thing is, usually a horde of 4-5 students end up coming to watch you dissect. I don't know about you, but I'm still not that great at dissecting. So when med students are constantly badgering you with questions, you can't do your work.

Fortunately, the one group of students I had at an autopsy a month ago were totally cool. They had enough social sense and decency to STFU when I was concentrating on what part of the dissection I would proceed to do next (the patient was fat and I had to swim in fat to find stuff). They even helped out with various parts and I was very appreciative of that. They get an A+ and I even looked forward to go through the slides with two of them weeks later and talk even more about the pathology. Good group.

However, I have talked to several other residents who were less than pleased with their med students. They would constantly ask questions and wouldn't let them concentrate. Not that they were stupid questions (cuz WTF do they know...they just started med school and don't know squat) but it was the frequency of the questioning that was annoying.

So now I have adopted a new line of strategery. When I do the autopsy, I have metal playing loud. That way I can pretend that I don't hear their questions. I have an excuse to ignore some questions and proceed with the dissection. Plus, it gives them an excuse to leave at their own will should the music be annoying to them.

Anyways, I have now adopted several rules to med student observership during my autopsies:

(1) Thou shalt not ask questions while I dissect. Thou can ask questions once the organs have been dissected, isolated, and breadloafed. This is when the most education can take place regarding the pathology and the factors contributing to the patient's death.
(2) Thou shalt not come close and peer over my shoulder all at once.
(3) Thou shalt feel free to leave at any time.

uhoh! said:
i think you should try getting Obituary's Cause of Death..that's the CD where i heard double bass for the first time.Don Tardy fast but not insanely so,and the mix is really good(and James Murphy is on guitars!!)..once the double-bass demon gets you,from one drummer-to-another, there is no turning back!most of the other drummers seem wimps..unless exceptionally talented(like Bonzo!)
You know...I first heard of James Murphy when he replaced the godly Alex Skolnick as lead guitarist in the band, Testament. He was the lead guitarist in the band when they recorded the live album, Return To The Apocalypse City. I thought he was good at shredding but my thought was that he had sloppy technique and really destroyed some of the guitar solos that were composed by Skolnick. I don't think he was a good fit for the band. But I haven't listened to much Obituary so maybe he fit better in that band.

beary said:
I wish my residents had this rule! :(
Ah, but there is a set of commandments for med students that they can envoke themselves. I believe I have mentioned some of them in the distant past:

(1) Thou shalt get your work done and get the f*ck out of the hospital.
(2) Thou shalt not do unnecessary scut work.
(3) Thou shalt be one with the rule, Pass = MD, and not be overly obsessive-compulsive about their grades. That way you can actually enjoy some fraction of medical school (which sucks balls to begin with).

AngryTesticle said:
However, I have talked to several other residents who were less than pleased with their med students. They would constantly ask questions and wouldn't let them concentrate. Not that they were stupid questions (cuz WTF do they know...they just started med school and don't know squat) but it was the frequency of the questioning that was annoying.
Just to edify...you hear a lot of professors saying "There are no such things as stupid questions." I actually agree with this. Stupid questions don't exist...stupid people do.

AngryTesticle said:
(1) Thou shalt get your work done and get the f*ck out of the hospital.
(2) Thou shalt not do unnecessary scut work.

On anesthesia, we have no work to do (scut or otherwise). We just follow residents around like puppies. I am sure we are annoying as hell but they make us be there (have to get evaluated EVERY DAY, have to sign in EVERY DAY.) I do not know how to handle this predicament.

If it were just sign in every day, I would show up, sign in, go to lecture, and leave. But getting evaluated every day... :scared:

As you say, med school blows. I only have 17 weeks of rotations left! :clap:

beary said:
On anesthesia, we have no work to do (scut or otherwise). We just follow residents around like puppies. I am sure we are annoying as hell but they make us be there (have to get evaluated EVERY DAY, have to sign in EVERY DAY.) I do not know how to handle this predicament.
Sign in and leave. Hell, when I was on my gas rotation, I was upfront about my decision to go into path. They told me I could leave whenever I wanted. Of course, it helped that one of the senior residents was my co-captain on an ultimate frisbee summer league team :p What can I say...it helps to know people.
If it were just sign in every day, I would show up, sign in, go to lecture, and leave. But getting evaluated every day... :scared:
Do your grades matter? At this point, no. Take half days. Call in sick. Say you had a flat tire. I don't care. Your last year of med school should not be painful.

AngryTesticle said:
Do your grades matter? At this point, no. Take half days. Call in sick. Say you had a flat tire. I don't care. Your last year of med school should not be painful.

This sounds good. Especially since I am actually sick. I get paranoid at times that I will fail but you give me bravado. :cool: