Multiple Research Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeTheBallDanny

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would taking two research years look to a PD? Is it a red flag or does it look good if I get multiple first author pubs out of it? What about doing an MPH and a research year? Some of my reasons are professional and some personal for wanting to take two years.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that anyone would see it as a "red flag" just because you took 2 years. On the other hand if you didn't have something productive to show for 2 years of time, I would consider it a pretty big negative. 2 years pretty much means that you have academic aspirations, if the rest of your application doesn't scream academic clinician people are liable to get confused.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think that anyone would see it as a "red flag" just because you took 2 years. On the other hand if you didn't have something productive to show for 2 years of time, I would consider it a pretty big negative. 2 years pretty much means that you have academic aspirations, if the rest of your application doesn't scream academic clinician people are liable to get confused.
How would the rest of the application scream academic clinician? Sorry I'm not super familiar with ERAS and the whole residency match preferences yet

Members don't see this ad :)
How would the rest of the application scream academic clinician? Sorry I'm not super familiar with ERAS and the whole residency match preferences yet

As long as you are productive and mention your dream and plan of going into academia, you are fine. Do MD/PHDs go into subpar residency? Nope. They go into places where very few midtier/lowtier medical schools' students can go into.

How would taking two research years look to a PD? Is it a red flag or does it look good if I get multiple first author pubs out of it? What about doing an MPH and a research year? Some of my reasons are professional and some personal for wanting to take two years.
An MPH is a total waste of your time and money. The opportunity cost of one extra year as a student is also pretty staggering.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a way students get paid to do research years aside from HHMI and national fellowships? Like will a lab give you a stipend/salary?

Annnnnnddddddddd it begins!!!!!!!!!

10 years ago research years weren't a thing and now are very popular.

2017: when not one but TWO research years become the new trend and popular way to landing that plastic surgery residency so sought out for.

Before you know it your kids will be telling you they need a PhD in between years 2 and 3 to be able to match into anything competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not just do MD/PhD at that point

Annnnnnddddddddd it begins!!!!!!!!!

10 years ago research years weren't a thing and now are very popular.

2017: when not one but TWO research years become the new trend and popular way to landing that plastic surgery residency so sought out for.

Before you know it your kids will be telling you they need a PhD in between years 2 and 3 to be able to match into anything competitive.
Or you know, maybe some people are just genuinely interested in academic medicine...

Or you know, maybe some people are just genuinely interested in academic medicine...

That's why there is MD/PhD available they reduces the level of debt. Not to say everyone gets it or people can't develop the taste for academic medicine while in medical school. I just have hard time believing that, given the choice, people would delay their graduation by several years, accumulating interest, just because they have an irresistible urge to get all the research projects going right at that particular moment in time and cannot wait until they are actually in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user