Multiple MCat scores and podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
a 492.. But my sciences are very good on my last 494 (126 chem 125 bio) my verbal (120) and psych (123) are not good as I grew up speaking a different language in my household
You should be fine, a 120 in CARS is very low, but as long as you can articulate well during the interview you have a chance. Good luck!

You should be fine, a 120 in CARS is very low, but as long as you can articulate well during the interview you have a chance. Good luck!

I got a 123 on cars the first time I took it. Just had an unknown disaster this past time.
Do you think that the high sciences and the previous decent score makes up for it some? to the admissions team?

I got a 123 on cars the first time I took it. Just had an unknown disaster this past time.
Do you think that the high sciences and the previous decent score makes up for it some? to the admissions team?
They take into account previous scores.

Usually if the score is extremely low they will question it during the interview. They will give you ample time to explain yourself and want to see what you did differently the 2nd/3rd time around.

I went from 489--493--496. Had much lower gpa than you. Was accepted to Kent.

I would not worry too much as there is not much you can do about it right now.

Have a genuine explanation ready and emphasize what happened differently. Do not make excuses unless they are legitimate and impacted the score directly.

Reactions: 1 user
They take into account previous scores.

Usually if the score is extremely low they will question it during the interview. They will give you ample time to explain yourself and want to see what you did differently the 2nd/3rd time around.

I went from 489--493--496. Had much lower gpa than you. Was accepted to Kent.

I would not worry too much as there is not much you can do about it right now.

Have a genuine explanation ready and emphasize what happened differently. Do not make excuses unless they are legitimate and impacted the score directly.

I have prepped to take it again already lol this week... Did you apply to barry or temple? any other interviews or acceptances?

Applied all 9 except NY and Temple for location reasons.

Invites to all. Went to Kent, CSPM, Western, AZpod. Had Barry scheduled.

Accepted to all except AZpod.

Nice.. Must be a good interviewer. Lol. Give me good hope then even if my Mcat doesn't improve i suppose

Weirdy is basically a superstar.

OP, ur MCAT should be ok for pod school. You might have trouble at AZPOD or DMU, but I had lower than you and was accepted to both.

Get that app in early!

Weirdy is basically a superstar.

OP, ur MCAT should be ok for pod school. You might have trouble at AZPOD or DMU, but I had lower than you and was accepted to both.

Get that app in early!
Thanks for the input. Ive really been excited about this now and shadowing. I really hope I get accepted at my choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soon as you can. Gives you big advantage.

Had mine in by 2nd-3rd week of August.
Can't really get to mine until December due to time constraints and seeing out this DO post-bacc program first semester to see if I get conditional acceptance to the school. If I don't, was planning on shadowing/submitting app around Dec month.

Can't really get to mine until December due to time constraints and seeing out this DO post-bacc program first semester to see if I get conditional acceptance to the school. If I don't, was planning on shadowing/submitting app around Dec month.

Dec is still decently early from what I know.. Early early is like within the first 2 months of the app it seems so like August-Sep. If you're stats are higher than average Dec. Should still be ok. There are people with higher than average stats that have gotten accepted 2-3 months prior to the class start.

Dec is still decently early from what I know.. Early early is like within the first 2 months of the app it seems so like August-Sep. If you're stats are higher than average Dec. Should still be ok. There are people with higher than average stats that have gotten accepted 2-3 months prior to the class start.
Prob average stats roughly for pod school - 495 MCAT, 3.2 GPA

Id say you still have a good shot. There are a few also who have gotten scholarships with 495+.

Reactions: 1 users
What med said.

The podiatry application process is not as cutthroat as MD.

It is very possible to get acceptances even if you applied later than December.

Yeah, you can deff get into a podiatry school with a 3.2 495. That MCAT is actually not bad and you could stand a shot at DMU or AZPOD, although you would be under their mean scores. I got in with a significantly higher GPA (3.6+) but a lower mcat (low 490s).

Yeah, you can deff get into a podiatry school with a 3.2 495. That MCAT is actually not bad and you could stand a shot at DMU or AZPOD, although you would be under their mean scores. I got in with a significantly higher GPA (3.6+) but a lower mcat (low 490s).
Are DMU and AZPOD supposed be the top 2? If I decide to apply, I think Temple purely based on location would be my preferred spot.

I just submitted my application!! I am so excited and nervous! :) I'm feeling optimistic after reading many threads. My MCAT isn't great. I got a 493 the second time I took it. However, I graduated with a GPA of 3.89. I'm not sure what my official science and nonscience GPAs are but I'm hoping I know that soon after they verify my transcript. I applied to all U.S. podiatry schools besides the one in New York. I'm really hoping I get invited to interview!!! PRAYING!!

I just submitted my application!! I am so excited and nervous! :) I'm feeling optimistic after reading many threads. My MCAT isn't great. I got a 493 the second time I took it. However, I graduated with a GPA of 3.89. I'm not sure what my official science and nonscience GPAs are but I'm hoping I know that soon after they verify my transcript. I applied to all U.S. podiatry schools besides the one in New York. I'm really hoping I get invited to interview!!! PRAYING!!
I have lower stats, applied to 2 schools only and got 2 interviews. With 3.9 GPA you can get interviews even at DO schools

With a 3.9, u should be good at almost every pod school, every the top ones like AZPOD and DMU. You might even snag a scholarship!

Ehhhhh, maybe. He would have to fit a mission.

I have lower stats, applied to 2 schools only and got 2 interviews. With 3.9 GPA you can get interviews even at DO schools

You think so? According to everything I read I didn't have shot with a 493 MCAT. At first I consider DO; however, after doing a lot of research I do believe I'm making the right choice choosing Podiatry. Thank you all for the confidence boost! I'm just waiting for my transcripts to be verified.

You think so? According to everything I read I didn't have shot with a 493 MCAT. At first I consider DO; however, after doing a lot of research I do believe I'm making the right choice choosing Podiatry. Thank you all for the confidence boost! I'm just waiting for my transcripts to be verified.
research SDN, there are accepted students with 490-492
but if you want to go to podiatry, your MCAT is fine.

Seriously, how does one attain a 3.9?
I studied hard...was awarded Summa Cum Laude. Double majored in Biochemistry and Psychology. I went to a small private college and had the same professors for many of my classes. It didn't take me long to find good study habits. Looking back now I honestly put in 20 hours of homework/studying a week. Especially those semesters I was taking A&P, Biochemistry, Physics, and Qual. & Quant. + Labs

Honestly it's way easier to get into a program with a high GPA and a low mcat (yours is about average or just below depending on where you look) than the alternative. I'm sure there's not a school you couldn't get into, but go with your passion. In the worst case scenario you wouldn't be the first student to drop the first year of podiatry to go into a DO program

My question is how one gets 3.9 in Biochemistry and Psychology and gets 493 MCAT score?

Well, the MCAT is standardized and GPA is not. On the other hand, some may various handicaps/factors that may limit their performance on such an examination.

My question is how one gets 3.9 in Biochemistry and Psychology and gets 493 MCAT score?
I've asked myself that same question over and over. Honestly i'm a slow reader and always have been. My father and brother are both dyslexic. I've never had issues understanding what i'm reading, just a difficult time focusing and picking up the speed. The CARS section which should really be boosting my score dragged me down. The first time I took the MCAT I got a 120 in CARS the second time I got a 124. I ending up reading practice passages over and over again (obviously it helped). I spent time reviewing information in the other sections but did not focus nearly like I should've due to all those scores being 123 the first time I took it. In my head I was thinking if I can increase this CARS scores by working on my reading then hopefully my other sections will be better due to them being strongly reading based as well. That did not work. I did worse in the Chem/Phys and slightly better in Biochem and my Psychology score stayed the same. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, "I graduated with highest honors in Biochemistry and Psychology and my scores do not reflect that!" I honestly believe that if I took it again my scores would all dramatically increase because I would focus much more time on Passage based reading for all sections as opposed to just content memorization (BIG MISTAKE). However, the MCAT seriously sucks and takes a lot preparation. If I do not need to take it again I absolutely do not want to. So hopefully I get some acceptances this round! :)

Last edited:
I've asked myself that same question over and over. Honestly i'm a slow reader and always have been. My father and brother are both dyslexic. I've never had issues understanding what i'm reading, just a difficult time focusing and picking up the speed. The CARS section which should really be boosting my score dragged me down. The first time I took the MCAT I got a 120 in CARS the second time I got a 124. I ending up reading practice passages over and over again (obviously it helped). I spent time reviewing information in the other sections but did not focus nearly like I should've due to all those scores being 123 the first time I took it. In my head I was thinking if I can increase this CARS scores by working on my reading then hopefully my other sections will be better due to them being strongly reading based as well. That did not work. I did worse in the Chem/Phys and slightly better in Biochem and my Psychology score stayed the same. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, "I graduated with highest honors in Biochemistry and Psychology and my scores do not reflect that!" I honestly believe that if I took it again my scores would all dramatically increase because I would focus much more time on Passage based reading for all sections as opposed to just content memorization (BIG MISTAKE). However, the MCAT seriously sucks and takes a lot preparation. If I do not need to take it again I absolutely do not want to. So hopefully I get some acceptances this round! :)
If you are settled on podiatry, you will make it in considering that all other parts of your app and interview are good.