Multiple Attempts and Matched (2016)- Took 7 Steps to get to Residency. Hope this Helps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish you could speak with the two med students I'm mentoring who are struggling after having failed step 2. Also caribbean students. If you have an interest in doing so, please contact me: http://sonyamurraymd.wixsite.com/mysite

Members don't see this ad.

This is an awesome story! I am sure you will be able to impart that hope and persistence to your patients. That makes you a special doctor.

Been a long time forum reader but I was never the type to post things. I’m the kind of person that really relied on the “misery likes company” cliche. Whenever I had any problems regarding medical school or this whole application process, I would surf these forums to look for people in the same situation. Granted 9/10 times it would lead to discouragement and more stress (secondary to the negative trolls out there), but once in awhile I’d come across an inspiring story that would give me just enough motivation to keep pushing forward. I have had such a rough journey in pursuit of a residency that I promised myself that the day I do match, if I ever do, I would write my story. It is by no means inspiring or motivational but I hope it helps someone out there who is in my same situation….…

First as always let's start with stats….? I know you all want to know
  • I am an IMG, graduated from Carib med school. US Citizen.
  • First Choice: Pediatrics, in time was willing to do anything
  • I graduated med school with a 3.5 GPA, never really had trouble with my courses and matriculated in good standing. Postponed graduation year by 6 months (from June 2014 to Jan 2015) due to my first Step Failure
  • USMLE Transcript (USMLE Step freaking 7)
    • USMLE Step 1:
      • 1st attempt: 183 (fail)
      • 2nd attempt: 212 (pass)
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
      • 1st attempts: Pass
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
      • 1st attempt: 198 (fail)
      • 2nd attempt: 195 (fail) did worse too
      • 3rd attempt: 224 (pass)
    • USMLE Step 3
      • 1st attempt: 198 (barely pass)
ERAS History Timeline and What I did.
  • 2013-2014 Application Year:
    • Failed Step 1, not going into detail, I changed my study habits, studied full time, retook it asap, took practice tests - barely passed lol, 212!
    • Spent ~$6k in applications, applied to 240+ programs due to my Step 1 Failure (Peds, IM, FM, Prelim Surgery, Prelim IM)
    • Received 2 Interviews: both pediatrics and both a courtesy interview from programs I rotated in. Interviews went well as the administration/attendings knew me
      • My Significant other matched in one of these programs in the meantime (more on this later)
    • Received first failing Step 2 CK score report - and was forced to withdraw from the match (6k flushed down the drain)
    • I continued to finish off my rotations and made an emphasis to suck up extra hard in my program (program is known to take IMGs)
    • I studied for Step 2CK and retook it - results came back - again Failed! Danggit
    • Super devastated, went under depression, took a couple of weeks to go through DABDA but after talking with family and friends, I ultimately decided to keep freaking trying.
    • Took time off and postponed rotations to really focus on studying full time.
    • Changed my study habits, made and stuck to my schedule, take a crapton of practice tests, went through UWorld 3x- re-took the test after 3 months- passed with 224 (not great but at least average)
    • Finished off the rest of my rotations, which actually was beneficial because for the next application year my year of graduation was 2015 instead of 2014 so it looked like I was a fresh grad
  • 2014-2015 Application Year:
    • Spent ~5k on applications, still applied to 200+ programs, I removed some that were straight rejections from the previous year but I still wanted to maximize due to 3 failures in Step. Like the previous year I applied broadly and included Pathology and PMR.
    • Received 4 interviews: 2 from the previous programs I interviewed with (peds), 1 Internal Medicine
      • One program offered me an IV because I targeted it during my 4th year and my significant other did well during intern year
      • PD told me that my USMLE’s pretty much suck, take Step 3 and that we can re-evaluate next year
      • Other IV’s were standard, blah, blah
    • Match Day: no match
    • SOAP: No SOAP
    • Depression Cycle all over again, take time to yourself, re-evaluate life, went into hiding from the world due to embarrassment, shame, and self pity.
    • Came out of it, decided to stop being a little B*t*h: decided that no matter what this is what I want and I'll keep trying
    • One specific change I made was to try and get a realistic “Plan B” Career in the meantime while I applied year after year after year, because unfortunately just because I didn't match I still had to pay rent
    • During the interim year I continued to keep contact with the residents I worked with during my 3rd and 4th year rotations, tackled as many research projects as I could with hopes to get something published (because honestly so many research projects get started but almost none finish)- I did not get any publications but I was able to work with attendings (who I asked for recommendations in the future)
    • I needed a paying job, because honestly I was broke. The best scenario is to find a “clinically” oriented job, but unfortunately there's nothing much you can do with an MD. I worked as a part time (3 days/week) Science Tutor for a City College for minimum wage (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Anatomy and Physiology), not medical but at least I could say it mention it as a “basic sciences” foundation builder during my interviews.
      • I did well in this job and moved up to tutoring Nursing students, specifically the NCLEX (well this got more medical)
      • Made an acquaintance who also worked at a PA school and asked for a recommendation. Got another tutoring position, tutoring the same subjects but on a higher level (PA students)- again more medical is good! (paid a little better $20/hr but only for 2 days a week
      • Holding these 2 jobs, I worked 6 days a week which allowed me to make somewhat of a paycheck. SO was paying rent and I was helping here iand there for food and utilities (thank God for her)
    • During this time, I studied for Step 3 whenever I had free time. When I had no students to tutor, I studied. When I got home, I studied. Driving to work, I listened to kaplan videos, basically I studied. I knew I needed to kill it to have any chance.
      • Time goes by, I take the Step 3: I passed but did I kill it? Heck No!!!! Got 196 which was 6 points over the pass rate. (I think they may have changed the pass rate to 200 now lol). Anyways, at least I'll have the score prior to next season
    • I kept up with my contacts during my clinical years (attendings and residents), my school counselor (who was not helpful at all with advice). SGU’s OCG department who is actually good at sending alternate jobs/ paid research.
      • I applied to almost every medical job available in neighboring hospitals, specifically targeting hospitals with residency programs
      • Landed a research coordinator job for a hospital that was 2.5 hours away. Took this right away (paid 50k/ year) plus had the opportunity for more connections. Worked here for 3 months under a boss who was really bad, like bad (dont want to go into detail). He agreed to pay me 50k/year but then changed it to paying me $15/hour 2 days out of my 5 day work week, anyways I sucked it up and stayed positive being that there wasn't a lot of options
  • 2015-2016 Application Year:
    • While hating my life because I was driving 24 hours/week to and from work at the same time being ripped off of a paycheck. I slept at night saying thank you for the family and support I have, the opportunity I was given (paid clinical job), and the strength to keep trying. Staying positive is really key guys, can't stress that enough!
    • Decided to take the online MBA, because I considered going the medical administration route as a back up (still currently finishing this)
    • Got a random email one day from my med school's OCG department about a paid Administration Position at the hospital I rotated in during my 4th year, this was also the same hospital my SO was a resident in, and was 2 blocks away from our apt.
      • Called every contact I have (which is why it's important not to burn old bridges) and asked for their recommendations- ultimately I got the position after 6 weeks of waiting and following up!
      • Gladly quit my previous residency coordinator position! Giving my boss my 2 weeks notice felt awesome.
      • This position is what ultimately led to my increased exposure to the program at the hospital. I specifically asked for all the projects involving the department and I really worked hard.
        • Attended all the meetings
        • Generally show my interest and worked hard to stand out
          Worked with the residents and attendings
        • Improved the department's numbers
    • When application season came around I received 3 Interviews (all through contacts I made in the past): 1 peds (in the hospital I was working for), 2 Internal Medicine (one prematch)
      • Another $5k in the hole
      • IM prematch did not offer me the spot
      • Ranked 2 hospitals in my NRMP ROL (bleh)
      • Not very confident about my odds

Ultimately, Match Day came last week and I matched in Pediatrics! My first choice all along. Just goes to show that hard work will always pay off. I was trying to keep this short but it got super long. In any case, I didn't include a lot of the details and I don't want to mention any hospital names (so to the trolls out there you can bag on that) or any names for that matter for privacy purposes. In any case, I don't feel like proofreading all that haha but this is my story and my advice, take it for what it's worth. I’m going to bust my ass in residency to prove at least to this program that giving people like “us” a chance could be the best investment after all. If it helps you feel better for even one second, it was worth it. Stay positive, stay strong, if its what you want, go get it!

Ill try to jump back into this post here and there prior to starting residency in July, in case you guys have any specific questions, but no promises! I wish you all the best of luck, and know that you are not alone in this.

Blessings,

PositiveMD (lamest name ever but I couldn't think of anything else)

OMG!!! You don't have idea what your post means to me!!! Almost all the posts at SDN are about super OMG people who did everything perfect and one feels so sad and discouraged about even trying. I am an IMG, and I really know that feeling of "nothing would work out" I am so happy for you, you really deserved it!! I really think that exams are not everything!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Been a long time forum reader but I was never the type to post things. I’m the kind of person that really relied on the “misery likes company” cliche. Whenever I had any problems regarding medical school or this whole application process, I would surf these forums to look for people in the same situation. Granted 9/10 times it would lead to discouragement and more stress (secondary to the negative trolls out there), but once in awhile I’d come across an inspiring story that would give me just enough motivation to keep pushing forward. I have had such a rough journey in pursuit of a residency that I promised myself that the day I do match, if I ever do, I would write my story. It is by no means inspiring or motivational but I hope it helps someone out there who is in my same situation….…

• I graduated med school with a 3.5 GPA, never really had trouble with my courses and matriculated in good standing. Postponed graduation year by 6 months (from June 2014 to Jan 2015) due to my first Step Failure
    • USMLE Step 1:
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
    • USMLE Step 3
    • Failed Step 1, not going into detail, I changed my study habits, studied full time, retook it asap, took practice tests - barely passed lol, 212!
    • Spent ~$6k in applications, applied to 240+ programs due to my Step 1 Failure (Peds, IM, FM, Prelim Surgery, Prelim IM)
    • Received 2 Interviews: both pediatrics and both a courtesy interview from programs I rotated in. Interviews went well as the administration/attendings knew me
      • My Significant other matched in one of these programs in the meantime (more on this later)
    • Received first failing Step 2 CK score report - and was forced to withdraw from the match (6k flushed down the drain)
    • I continued to finish off my rotations and made an emphasis to suck up extra hard in my program (program is known to take IMGs)
    • I studied for Step 2CK and retook it - results came back - again Failed! Danggit
    • Super devastated, went under depression, took a couple of weeks to go through DABDA but after talking with family and friends, I ultimately decided to keep freaking trying.
    • Changed my study habits, made and stuck to my schedule, take a crapton of practice tests, went through UWorld 3x- re-took the test after 3 months- passed with 224 (not great but at least average)
    • Finished off the rest of my rotations, which actually was beneficial because for the next application year my year of graduation was 2015 instead of 2014 so it looked like I was a fresh grad
    • Spent ~5k on applications, still applied to 200+ programs, I removed some that were straight rejections from the previous year but I still wanted to maximize due to 3 failures in Step. Like the previous year I applied broadly and included Pathology and PMR.
    • Received 4 interviews: 2 from the previous programs I interviewed with (peds), 1 Internal Medicine
      • One program offered me an IV because I targeted it during my 4th year and my significant other did well during intern year
      • PD told me that my USMLE’s pretty much suck, take Step 3 and that we can re-evaluate next year
    • Depression Cycle all over again, take time to yourself, re-evaluate life, went into hiding from the world due to embarrassment, shame, and self pity.
    • Came out of it, decided to stop being a little B*t*h: decided that no matter what this is what I want and I'll keep trying
    • One specific change I made was to try and get a realistic “Plan B” Career in the meantime while I applied year after year after year, because unfortunately just because I didn't match I still had to pay rent
    • During the interim year I continued to keep contact with the residents I worked with during my 3rd and 4th year rotations, tackled as many research projects as I could with hopes to get something published (because honestly so many research projects get started but almost none finish)- I did not get any publications but I was able to work with attendings (who I asked for recommendations in the future)
    • I needed a paying job, because honestly I was broke. The best scenario is to find a “clinically” oriented job, but unfortunately there's nothing much you can do with an MD. I worked as a part time (3 days/week) Science Tutor for a City College for minimum wage (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Anatomy and Physiology), not medical but at least I could say it mention it as a “basic sciences” foundation builder during my interviews.
      • I did well in this job and moved up to tutoring Nursing students, specifically the NCLEX (well this got more medical)
      • Made an acquaintance who also worked at a PA school and asked for a recommendation. Got another tutoring position, tutoring the same subjects but on a higher level (PA students)- again more medical is good! (paid a little better $20/hr but only for 2 days a week
      • Holding these 2 jobs, I worked 6 days a week which allowed me to make somewhat of a paycheck. SO was paying rent and I was helping here iand there for food and utilities (thank God for her)
    • During this time, I studied for Step 3 whenever I had free time. When I had no students to tutor, I studied. When I got home, I studied. Driving to work, I listened to kaplan videos, basically I studied. I knew I needed to kill it to have any chance.
      • Time goes by, I take the Step 3: I passed but did I kill it? Heck No!!!! Got 196 which was 6 points over the pass rate. (I think they may have changed the pass rate to 200 now lol). Anyways, at least I'll have the score prior to next season
    • I kept up with my contacts during my clinical years (attendings and residents), my school counselor (who was not helpful at all with advice). SGU’s OCG department who is actually good at sending alternate jobs/ paid research.
      • I applied to almost every medical job available in neighboring hospitals, specifically targeting hospitals with residency programs
      • Landed a research coordinator job for a hospital that was 2.5 hours away. Took this right away (paid 50k/ year) plus had the opportunity for more connections. Worked here for 3 months under a boss who was really bad, like bad (dont want to go into detail). He agreed to pay me 50k/year but then changed it to paying me $15/hour 2 days out of my 5 day work week, anyways I sucked it up and stayed positive being that there wasn't a lot of options
    • While hating my life because I was driving 24 hours/week to and from work at the same time being ripped off of a paycheck. I slept at night saying thank you for the family and support I have, the opportunity I was given (paid clinical job), and the strength to keep trying. Staying positive is really key guys, can't stress that enough!
    • Decided to take the online MBA, because I considered going the medical administration route as a back up (still currently finishing this)
    • Got a random email one day from my med school's OCG department about a paid Administration Position at the hospital I rotated in during my 4th year, this was also the same hospital my SO was a resident in, and was 2 blocks away from our apt.
      • Called every contact I have (which is why it's important not to burn old bridges) and asked for their recommendations- ultimately I got the position after 6 weeks of waiting and following up!
      • Gladly quit my previous residency coordinator position! Giving my boss my 2 weeks notice felt awesome.
      • This position is what ultimately led to my increased exposure to the program at the hospital. I specifically asked for all the projects involving the department and I really worked hard.
    • When application season came around I received 3 Interviews (all through contacts I made in the past): 1 peds (in the hospital I was working for), 2 Internal Medicine (one prematch)

Ultimately, Match Day came last week and I matched in Pediatrics! My first choice all along. Just goes to show that hard work will always pay off. I was trying to keep this short but it got super long. In any case, I didn't include a lot of the details and I don't want to mention any hospital names (so to the trolls out there you can bag on that) or any names for that matter for privacy purposes. In any case, I don't feel like proofreading all that haha but this is my story and my advice, take it for what it's worth. I’m going to bust my ass in residency to prove at least to this program that giving people like “us” a chance could be the best investment after all. If it helps you feel better for even one second, it was worth it. Stay positive, stay strong, if its what you want, go get it!

Ill try to jump back into this post here and there prior to starting residency in July, in case you guys have any specific questions, but no promises! I wish you all the best of luck, and know that you are not alone in this.

Blessings,

This is amazing!! How is residency going for you now? Do you have an email address to contact I have some questions I'd like to ask you about your experience! Thank you!

You are one amazing person. Hope you are doing well. Would love to get an update on how you are dong so far in residency. You are so strong to go through all that depression and financial issues. I would not have made it out alive.

• USMLE Step 1:
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
    • USMLE Step 3

Blessings,

Can you say what you changed in your step 2 prep that boosted your score? I have exhausted uworld and am stuck at 198, any advice would be of great help!

congratulations. i always believe that u dont have to be smart to be a doctor. just determined.

to be fair im a little concerned with those step failures. i do understand the correlation between steps and clinical acumen is not the greatest but its really difficult to fail multiple steps multiple times...

Reactions: 1 users
S1 and 2CK are designed to assess basic science knowledge and clinical mx. These tests do serve a purpose to weed out potential danger to public health. You're taking it too lightly.
Don't impugn me, impugn the system into which he's now been weeded... alongside me, and you, theoretically.

Don't impugn me, impugn the system into which he's now been weeded... alongside me, and you, theoretically.
Learn to type a proper sentence and work on your reading comprehension. He matched so therefore "not weeded".

Learn to type a proper sentence and work on your reading comprehension. He matched so therefore "not weeded".
As you probably know, it's a proper enough sentence. I merely turned the idiom you used ("weed out") on its ear as there's no clear-cut, universally recognized opposite of "weed out" which contains the word "weed" (so I said "weed in," phrasiacally). I can see you like weed, and I do, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even think I deserve to be a physician for scoring below average on step1...

Kuddos to OP for being persistent...

Last edited:
I don't even think I deserve to be a physician for scoring below average on step1...

Kuddos to OP for being persistent...

About half of the doctors out there scored less than average on Step 1...

But agreed, props to OP for perseverance.

Edit to add: YES I KNOW mean, median, and average are not the same thing, I was making a general point about what "normal" is not analyzing statistics, please stop messaging me about this. (Not you @Gurby your comment was funny).

Last edited:
You're confusing "the average" with "the median".
True, current mean for USMLE Step 1 = 229 (230 soon), but technically we don't know if it's a right or left-skewed distribution so nobody is right or wrong. Simply don't know.

I know that I might sound like a jerk for saying this but there's no way I would bring my kid to you if he was sick considering it took you multiple attempts just to pass Step. But congrats though.

Completely agree. I don't see any value in lauding the "achievement" of having taken seven Step exams.

Completely agree. I don't see any value in lauding the "achievement" of having taken seven Step exams.
this world is all about "connections" screw competency haha

This is definitely a story of perseverance but I wouldn't call it super inspiring. As mentioned, the OP still has significant academic questions to address. And while those questions don't also directly raise concern with his clinical acumen that's not promising either.

Call it what you will but most specialties and programs understand there is a relationship between board scores and specialty board pass rates. I've sat in on residency program review meetings where the program claimed there is an actual cutoff number that below that the specialty board failure rate is > 50%. Having multiple failures on multiple tests means he's liking to fail the peds boards too.

So celebrate now, bust ass during residency, but also have a very thorough plan to avoid this problem in the future.

Also, american MD >> DO >>>>>>>> caribbean MD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
you seem like the type of person that when walking by someone in the workplace they imagine themselves punching you dead in the face, and having co-workers yell "worldstarrrrrr"

Very inspiring! I am a US-IMG and have 2 failures. Step-1 209 first attempt. CS pass second attempt. Working on step-2 CK second attempt. My current step-2 CK is 208....
I am planning to take step-3 and apply for the 2018 match. I am not sure if it works for me ... I really don't want to give up.

I am almost in the same situation as you can you please message me privately I need to get in contact with you and ask you few questions

Carib grad with no business in med school in the first place succeeds to somehow get by using the smash your head against the wall 17x approach and he's now capable of practicing medicine in the US?

How inspiring.

Reactions: 2 users
Carib grad with no business in med school in the first place succeeds to somehow get by using the smash your head against the wall 17x approach and he's now capable of practicing medicine in the US?

How inspiring.

Really dude? Don't be that guy

Reactions: 2 users

• USMLE Step 1:
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
    • USMLE Step 3

Blessings,

ohhhhh wow so very inspired story. I have a very similar story but I am not able to pass CK for some reason. What do you advise on that.

Congrats!
What advise do you have regarding how to address the attempts in your personal statement?
Thanks in advance.

this is an amazing story but does anyone else think it might be bogus and giving false hope??

If you want something, go and get it. Congrats to you!

Haha, thanks everyone. You guys are right! I messed up my Step 1 score, was typing this from the top of my head. But to those that think this story is "BS", I love it, people like you is what pushed me to keep going lolz...in any case I corrected it to my actual score after digging for my score report (which I also attached, not that I need to prove anything to anyone lol), just want to hopefully keep motivating those that need it. @Psai @GUH

View attachment 201647

can we get an update on how residency is going for you?

While there isn't a 100% correlation between struggling on STEP exams and struggling to pass your board certification exams there is a strong correlation. You'd be wise to learn from your mistakes and make sure you do everything in your power to pass your ITEs. Some programs won't even let you sit for the boards if your ITEs indicate huge gaps in knowledge and likelihood of you failing the actual boards.

You're confusing "the average" with "the median".

I think you’re confusing “the average” and “the mean.” The median is a measure of the average and—in certain data sets—is a better representation of the average than the mean. Average and mean are sometimes used interchangeably because the mean is the arithmetic average and is used more commonly than the median, but the mean is not the only measure of the average.

• USMLE Step 1:
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
    • USMLE Step 3

Blessings,

Thank you for posting your experience. So glad you made it. Hope you are doing well and finished residencey! :)

I am very inspired by your story!!! We can all learn something from your story, everyone will face hardship at some point in life (battle maybe different).I believe God has truly helped you, and given you the strength to overcome. You remained grateful and hopeful despite your situation. You were also fortunate to see your dream come true. I pray God will continue to give you the strength to perservere in life. For the rest of us lets never give up hope in life despite challenges!

It doesn’t actually show that hard work always gets you what you want, you were still quite lucky and I’m happy for you but this could have easily went the other way

It doesn’t actually show that hard work always gets you what you want, you were still quite lucky and I’m happy for you but this could have easily went the other way

Guilt trip

I mean sure, I don't think even the OP disputes that, but I don't understand the impulse to dump on someone's thread just because they got lucky. I agree that at some point the OP probably would have been very justified in calling it quits, but some people decide that, stats be damned and regardless of the advice they receive, they're going to keep going all-out for a residency spot until they run out of money no matter the odds. If that's really the route you're going to go, then this story is actually a very good blueprint of how to approach that kind of long-odds proposition--find a clinically oriented job, maximize every contact you have, leave no stone unturned, etc. Even when you get a crappy job, keep looking for something better that will get you closer to a better position. Lots of useful information for people who find themselves in the OPs position.

Furthermore, after two unsuccessful applications the OP appears to have been realistic about the needs for a back-up by moving towards an MBA. It's obviously great that things worked out for the OP, but I think an important lesson that others can take away is that at a certain point you should stop putting ALL your eggs in just one basket.

I mean sure, I don't think even the OP disputes that, but I don't understand the impulse to dump on someone's thread just because they got lucky. I agree that at some point the OP probably would have been very justified in calling it quits, but some people decide that, stats be damned and regardless of the advice they receive, they're going to keep going all-out for a residency spot until they run out of money no matter the odds. If that's really the route you're going to go, then this story is actually a very good blueprint of how to approach that kind of long-odds proposition--find a clinically oriented job, maximize every contact you have, leave no stone unturned, etc. Even when you get a crappy job, keep looking for something better that will get you closer to a better position. Lots of useful information for people who find themselves in the OPs position.

Furthermore, after two unsuccessful applications the OP appears to have been realistic about the needs for a back-up by moving towards an MBA. It's obviously great that things worked out for the OP, but I think an important lesson that others can take away is that at a certain point you should stop putting ALL your eggs in just one basket.
Not dumping on OP. They won. I’m happy for them.

Just disagreed with the statement that you always win if you keep working, it’s not true