Mucho Match Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellalou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat, except that I haven't gotten any calls from anyone :(. It's rather nerve-racking...

I'm very anxious too. Having a family makes it even worse. Depending on were I match we need to sell our home, buy a new one and my husband needs to find a new job. No stress there.

Members don't see this ad :)
So a question for those who matched at one of their top choices...did you get any positive feedback after the interview if you contacted the PD and told them that you were ranking them at the top?

Has anyone else in the match right now gotten positive feedback from their top choices?

I don't know what to expect. I know that they are not supposed to imply any guarantees that we will match there, but I am wondering if I should at least feel a little "love."
:confused:

in response to your question bellalou, i remember reading a post in which someone matched at their top choice and didn't hear a peep from them.
hope that helps.

If it makes you all feel better, my interview at my school's program (top choice) is not until February 16.

Good luck to everyone.

If it makes you all feel better, my interview at my school's program (top choice) is not until February 16.

Good luck to everyone.

That is scary I haven't heard of any OB/GYN programs interviewing past mid-January. Good luck to you! I am sure that you will do very well.

I think I am being crazy - I probably need to stop harrassing the program (I emailed a couple of residents to ask questions, and expressed interest to the PD and chair.). Perhaps that is overkill...

I need a stiff drink! We all do!:idea:

That is scary I haven't heard of any OB/GYN programs interviewing past mid-January. Good luck to you! I am sure that you will do very well.

I think I am being crazy - I probably need to stop harrassing the program (I emailed a couple of residents to ask questions, and expressed interest to the PD and chair.). Perhaps that is overkill...

I need a stiff drink! We all do!:idea:

Don't even think you are harrassing the program. We expect to hear from you if you are interested, in fact if we don't hear from you we assume you are not interested and will be less likely to rank you no matter how fabulous you are!

Don't even think you are harrassing the program. We expect to hear from you if you are interested, in fact if we don't hear from you we assume you are not interested and will be less likely to rank you no matter how fabulous you are!

Thank you starayamoskva - This is a confusing aspect of the match to me. It seems to vary so much between the programs. For example, Northwestern told us not to write thank you notes at all and that they would put them in a trash bag and not look at them until after the match. They said that they believe in the sanctity of the match and will rank us soley on our academic record and interview performance. This was confirmed by several current residents. Other programs told us that they will indeed rank us higher if we express interest.

What about the frequency? Should I keep in constant contact? Wouldn't it get annoying?

What about the frequency? For example at my #1 program I did a second look, emailed the PD and residents I met at second look to express interest, but that was half a month ago. Should I keep in constant contact? Wouldn't it get annoying?

You don't need to send daily emails or anything like that but a quick note every week or two to say hey I'm here and I am still interested works great. Keep it brief but don't have it look like it is a canned response.

Is there a particular reason you brought this thread from early 2007 back?

i am wondering why also. i did notice that bellalou deleted some of her posts though. i wonder why?

I disagree with starayamoskva. I don't know if you are a resident or someone in administration, but trust me there is a thing as overkill. It is nice to receive letters of interest and thank you notes. Everyone likes to know that their program made a good impression, but you learn that you cannot take some of these notes too seriously as we have learned in the past. I feel bad for those programs who need constant attention by the applicants to feel that they will be ranked highly. We have matched with applicants who we never heard from again after the interview. If you want us and we want you, then it will happen. Don't feel down if you do not hear from a program, it doesn't mean that they don't want you. It doesn't hurt to contact the residents and ask questions, you are going to have be in that program for four years and you want to know that you are making the right decision. Also, if it makes you feel any better, the programs are stressing about match day just as much as you are.

I disagree with starayamoskva. I don't know if you are a resident or someone in administration, but trust me there is a thing as overkill. It is nice to receive letters of interest and thank you notes. Everyone likes to know that their program made a good impression, but you learn that you cannot take some of these notes too seriously as we have learned in the past. I feel bad for those programs who need constant attention by the applicants to feel that they will be ranked highly. We have matched with applicants who we never heard from again after the interview. If you want us and we want you, then it will happen. Don't feel down if you do not hear from a program, it doesn't mean that they don't want you. It doesn't hurt to contact the residents and ask questions, you are going to have be in that program for four years and you want to know that you are making the right decision. Also, if it makes you feel any better, the programs are stressing about match day just as much as you are.

Surely you cannot be serious. I believe you that programs are anxious about whom they'll get, but in there is more riding on this process for the candidate: where we'll work, with whom we'll work, where we'll live, just to name a few factors. Let's not forget that we also have the question of whether we match at all stressing us out. Nevertheless, can we not all agree that there is too much time in between interview season and match day?

Then I am basically screwed because I haven't contacted any programs. I thought the match was in place to protect the applicants.

Surely you cannot be serious. I believe you that programs are anxious about whom they'll get, but in there is more riding on this process for the candidate: where we'll work, with whom we'll work, where we'll live, just to name a few factors. Let's not forget that we also have the question of whether we match at all stressing us out. Nevertheless, can we not all agree that there is too much time in between interview season and match day?

Yes, the candidates do have a lot riding on outcome of the match. But as a chief and soon to be staff member of my program, I can attest that this process is also stressful for the program. Different stressors, sure, but stress none the less. It is important to the program to match quality candidates that fit the personality of the program. And don't forget, the match algorithm works completely in favor of the applicant, not the programs. (As it should, I agree).

For most, I think the match works well. I wish you all good luck and #1 matches :)

THP - I wouldn't worry about it. If you are a strong candidate then you should be ranked on your own merits. The match list is not due for two weeks, you could always send an e-mail if that makes you feel better. Good luck to you.