<----Mt Sinai Class 0f 2011 ---->

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
finally got the rsvp email today! the variety of restaurant choices is nuts!! i dont know how i will pick!

Members don't see this ad.

ha. seriously. I am so excited about second look. Anyone have any recomendations?

hey - just wondering how far along everyone is with the financial aid stuff and if anyone heard anything about it yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my FAFSA in a while ago. I didn't find out bout the school forms and the need access til late so I just got those in a week and half ago. As of yet I have not received anything, but I doubt I will here back til close to May 15. Regardless of what they offer me, I am almost a 100% sure I will be at Sinai.

Regardless of what they offer me, I am almost a 100% sure I will be at Sinai.

that's great lankan108, are you going to second look? because us in norcal got to represent!

that's great lankan108, are you going to second look? because us in norcal got to represent!

most probably not because I don't really need to be convinced to go there. I know it would be good to meet up with all of you guys, but I want to savor my last few weeks in the bay area...lol. I am going to miss california. Definitely let me know how second look goes though and I will definitely see u at orientation. hopefully more nor cal people will end up at Sinai.

Hi All
Does anybody know what type of clothes we should wear to 2nd look? Do you think jeans are inappropriate? thanks

the reply email says "business casual", which i believe to be the most ambiguous phrase ever. at my last second look (which was also business casual), there were girls in outfits ranging from spring dresses and cocktail dresses to jeans and polos. i suggest wearing whatever is presentable. can't wait to meet you all! :)

the reply email says "business casual", which i believe to be the most ambiguous phrase ever. at my last second look (which was also business casual), there were girls in outfits ranging from spring dresses and cocktail dresses to jeans and polos. i suggest wearing whatever is presentable. can't wait to meet you all! :)

where did it say that? i guess i missed that part...

hey - anyone who goes to the one this weekend (13-14) let us know what its like!!

I grew up in so cal but when to school in nor cal so i rep both.

I grew up in so cal but when to school in nor cal so i rep both.

Oh, I grew up in socal and went to school on the East Coast so I guess we just complicated the geography representations =).

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I'll be there with a couple of like-minded friends. Les Roberts is supposedly an amazing lecturer and I've heard interesting things about Physicians for Social Responsibility (Sidel's organization)... plus, there's free lunch! :)

Has anyone received their financial aid package?

Has anyone received their financial aid package?

From the website:

Award Letters outlining costs, estimated family contribution, scholarships, and loan eligibility are sent out in early June by e-mail to continuing students and U.S. mail for new students.

http://www.mssm.edu/students/handbook/aid_award.shtml

But this doesn't make sense! Ideally, we should know about financial aid before May 15, as loans/scholarships are important factors in making a decision. Has anybody heard anything else regarding award letters?

BTW, I'll be at revisit, and I'm from NorCal too. :)

im pretty sure you can call the fin. aid office and get an estimate from your fafsa & need acess before May 15th. I think needbased/merit awards are given out once they know what the full class looks like.

does anyone know what copies of tax forms are necessary to send in with the MSSM paper application for fin. aid?!!? Do I also include my/parents W2, 1040 etc?

where did you get the MSSM financial aid paper application? was it in the packet they sent us with our acceptances? or on the enrollment website?

where did you get the MSSM financial aid paper application? was it in the packet they sent us with our acceptances? or on the enrollment website?

its on the fin. aid section of the handbook.

you can also find it on the enrollment website.

About financial aid...if you know you won't qualify for need-based loans/scholarships because of your parents' income, should you still fill out the Need Access?

About financial aid...if you know you won't qualify for need-based loans/scholarships because of your parents' income, should you still fill out the Need Access?

i am pretty sure i will not qualify for anything, but I just filled it out just in case. It is really long, but you might as well do it.

hey fugazism, along with the fafsa, need access, and mssm financial aid form, you need to include your and your parents' tax returns and W2s

hey, anyone heard about hosting for second look weekend?! 9 days til i fly in and I haven't heard a thing save for an email stating someone will be in contact with me sometime soon.

hey MSSM '11-ers!

I called the financial aid office yesterday, and they said they're going to start doing packages next week. So, I don't think any packages have been determined yet.

I have two questions:
1) I haven't taken the drug test yet. Do you know when it's due? Obviously before orientation, but can I wait until after 5/15?

2) I'm most likely going to matriculate at Sinai (booyah!), how do I formally matriculate before the 5/15 date?

Thanks!

hey, anyone heard about hosting for second look weekend?! 9 days til i fly in and I haven't heard a thing save for an email stating someone will be in contact with me sometime soon.

So, the way it worked for the April 13th-14th Revisit Weekend is that you arrive at Aaron Hall and you say your name and a key to an empty room will be given to you. So, you don't have a host per se, sometimes you might be in an empty suite. Basically, MSSM has free rooms available for visitors and these will be the ones you will most likely be given. So when they say bring sheets and toiletries they mean it. You might also want to bring a small pillow if you can. Have fun during the weekend! I certainly fell in love with Sinai.

:love:

By the way, feel free to join our facebook group "Mount Sinai School of Medicine (MSSM) Class of 2011". We need more class spirit...hehehe.

hey MSSM '11-ers!

I called the financial aid office yesterday, and they said they're going to start doing packages next week. So, I don't think any packages have been determined yet.

I have two questions:
1) I haven't taken the drug test yet. Do you know when it's due? Obviously before orientation, but can I wait until after 5/15?

2) I'm most likely going to matriculate at Sinai (booyah!), how do I formally matriculate before the 5/15 date?

Thanks!

1) Jessica said that we didn't have to get the drug test done until a couple of weeks before orientation, so you'll be fine doing it after 5/15

2) Other than that form reserving our spot that was part of the acceptance packet, I think you're good for now. I haven't heard anything about deposits or other forms.

So, the way it worked for the April 13th-14th Revisit Weekend is that you arrive at Aaron Hall and you say your name and a key to an empty room will be given to you. So, you don't have a host per se, sometimes you might be in an empty suite. Basically, MSSM has free rooms available for visitors and these will be the ones you will most likely be given. So when they say bring sheets and toiletries they mean it. You might also want to bring a small pillow if you can. Have fun during the weekend! I certainly fell in love with Sinai.

:love:

soooo - how else was the weekend? and not to sound like a total girl, but what exactly are we expected to wear?
thanks!

soooo - how else was the weekend? and not to sound like a total girl, but what exactly are we expected to wear?
thanks!

For the URM revisit there were only around 30 people, so I think that for this upcoming weekend, we wont necessarily get our own entire suite, I think thats why theyre telling us to bring a sleeping bag. At the URM revisit everyone was wearing jeans, but they also mentioned that that revisit tends to be more casual, so i dont know if jeans would be appropriate for the 27-28th weekend. Does the RSVP say "business casual"? because the one for the URM revisit was described as "casual" in that RSVP.

just finished the need access app - now that was some long drawn out torture...
other than sending in the tax copies and w2s with the fin aid application is there anything else thats supposed to be done now?

just finished the need access app - now that was some long drawn out torture...
other than sending in the tax copies and w2s with the fin aid application is there anything else thats supposed to be done now?

assuming they got your FAFSA, i think you just gotta pee in a cup and submit to a background check.:D

so I just called financial aid and they're sending out my letter in the next couple of days... not sure if this is one of a big batch or not. anyone else nervous?

Who else is excited about second look? I hope I got my first choice restaurant. I like me some tapas! Mmm mmm! :)

so I just called financial aid and they're sending out my letter in the next couple of days... not sure if this is one of a big batch or not. anyone else nervous?

Cool! thanks for the info. I've been wondering how much financial aid Sinai will give me. Supposedly MSSM gives out great fin aid to their students.

I can't wait 'til this weekend! Should be fun and I look forward to meeting future classmates :)

anyone got the confirmation email that they're staying with a student host? i still have yet to hear back...getting really worried, since i didn't book a hotel!

hey, don't worry about the student housing...i'm sure sinai will come through. and if they don't, we can always have a big slumber party at my place. i live 25 blocks away in the UES. :)

so we still doing thursday at 8? I may be a little late... how shall we identify ourselves

so we still doing thursday at 8? I may be a little late... how shall we identify ourselves

i'll be there... can we recognize eachother off of facebook? we may need some kind of secret password or handshake for the class of 2011

i am. how long between when you had all your info in and when you found out?

i'll be there... can we recognize eachother off of facebook? we may need some kind of secret password or handshake for the class of 2011

Definitely still meeting at 8 PM at the Uptown Lounge, Thursday April 26 (see details in earlier post). So, I have a few ideas for how we can actually meet up and recognize each other. A couple are a little silly and the other probably makes the most sense (unless you are game to be silly). Silly idea #1) We could all wear the same color shirt (i.e. blue or green); Silly idea #2) We could all carry a Vitamin Water into the bar; or practical idea #3) I could PM my cell phone number to those interested in coming and you could just call me when/if you get there. Thoughts? Any other silly or non-silly ideas?

Definitely still meeting at 8 PM at the Uptown Lounge, Thursday April 26 (see details in earlier post). So, I have a few ideas for how we can actually meet up and recognize each other. A couple are a little silly and the other probably makes the most sense (unless you are game to be silly). Silly idea #1) We could all wear the same color shirt (i.e. blue or green); Silly idea #2) We could all carry a Vitamin Water into the bar; or practical idea #3) I could PM my cell phone number to those interested in coming and you could just call me when/if you get there. Thoughts? Any other silly or non-silly ideas?

how 'bout we all wear scrubs? kidding! i think we should just get a table or something with a sign thats says second look c/o 2011 or something. How many people do you think are going to show?

how 'bout we all wear scrubs? kidding! i think we should just get a table or something with a sign thats says second look c/o 2011 or something. How many people do you think are going to show?

I kind of think it's just going to be a few people, honestly...unless there are others who have been reading SDN/facebook but not saying anything. And yes, a little sign is probably the best idea. I volunteer to make it.

umm I think we're already friends b/c I'm obsessed with vitamin water... I'll call you thurs, spires. also, I got my financial aid package today and its much better than others Ive received from private schools. gave in the materials in early april. phew!!!

umm I think we're already friends b/c I'm obsessed with vitamin water... I'll call you thurs, spires. also, I got my financial aid package today and its much better than others Ive received from private schools. gave in the materials in early april. phew!!!

Does MSSM actually have scholarship/grant money? For some reason, I was just assuming their package would be all loans. Gosh, I'm crossing my fingers now! PLEEAASEEE MOUNT SINAI!

umm perhaps they do, but I just got a good full loan package... but seriously, at this point I'm very happy b/c I dont have any extra cash to throw around (seems like a bunch of schools assume this for some reason...) sorry to get your hopes up, Fuji! good luck tho, I hope you get some $$$.