MSW Post-Graduation Hours Toward LCSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SallyStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone,

I asked an MSW question back in 2011. I decided to can the idea because my circumstances were such that it just wasn't practical, but now I am back in the same boat wondering if it's right for me. I have a BA in Sociology and an MA in Educational Psychology (non-clinical) and I just feel... unfinished. I always wanted to be a clinician and continually talked myself out of it (I had to work full-time through school so the practica were... impractical). I believe that knowledge is never wasted so while I am better for having the aforementioned education, like I said, I'm not fulfilled yet.

I have a couple of questions. It's Friday night and state boards are going to be closed until at least Monday. I'm somewhat anxious for answers and was hoping that one of you professionals could maybe give me your two cents.

1. I have a friend who recently graduated with her MSW. She was mentioning to me that after graduation, if a recent MSW graduate was able to find an LCSW who was willing, the new graduate could receive supervision from the LCSW without actually having to go work for some kind of facility. She told me that one could essentially begin somewhat of a private practice while meeting regularly with an LCSW until the post-graduation hours toward licensure are met. Has anyone heard anything like this? Is it true? I'm sure it probably varies by state but still, has anyone ever heard of something like this?

I ask this question because I have heard that obtaining employment after graduation is quite the disaster in many areas of the country. Many have no choice but to take PRN, non-permanent work (this is what I understand, anyway). I'd prefer to not be in that situation if I can do something about it.

2. How difficult, really, is it to have a private practice? I hear that insurance paperwork is quite the nightmare... how about gaining a clientele?

3. Should I be looking into another route? Perhaps MFT, LPC, etc.? I hear that the MSW is most versatile. Any thoughts?

If it helps any, my counseling interests are in depression, anxiety and divorce grief counseling (not sure if the latter has a technical term, sorry).

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in an MSW program, so fair warning these are just the answers I've researched rather than experienced!

1. I'm not sure how you could start a private practice without a license? On what basis will you provide therapy? In the case of certain states where you can practice with a provisional license (like colorado) your scenario might be do-able. This really is on sketchy ground and feels unethical to me though. Might it be technically possible? Yes. Should it be done? No. I'm thinking I wouldn't feel like I would have enough training to jump right into straight therapy after my MSW. I know different programs have different focuses, so maybe this varies by program. In my area of the country I am not going to have a problem getting a job after my master's. I have found several agencies that will provide supervision for free in return for pledging same number of years back to them. Now if it takes me 6 months to get a job after I earn my degree I'm going to have to come back here and eat crow haha. Medical/Health social workers will always have a job. There is no reason to ever get a low paid position in that arena. Dialysis centers or hospitals are great places to start, and in my area have a higher starting pay that LPC's do. Health social work isn't therapy though, and is a different type of work.

2. The consensus on these boards is that it is very difficult, but do-able. You have to have business sense and be a go-getter. There are tons of threads on this, search for them and you will get better advice than I can give hehe.

3. The MSW is extremely versatile. The flip side of that is our training is really broad. However really, at the master's level you need to look at the culture of licensing in the state you want to practice in. The rules are all over the place for LPCs/LMHC and vary greatly. I went with MSW to eventually earn the LCSW because I want to work with geriatric patients/veterans/health setting. It would really be beneficial for me to be able to bill Medicare -- and currently LCSW is the only master's level license that can do that. If you don't want to work with that population then it won't be as important to you.

Reactions: 1 user
In order for MSW or counselors to provide psychotherapy, they need to have an average of three years of Post Masters Supervised Clinical experience and pass the license exam for the state in which they plan to practice. Success in private practice demands competency in a niche that is needed and wanted by persons able to pay for your services.