This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, please bear with me if this is a stupid question.

I know that in most cases an MD will give you more opportunities than a DO but I have been hearing that MSUCOM ( one of the best DO schools ) is better than MSUCHM ( a mid-tier MD school).

What is your take for:

-Someone who wants to do primary care
-Someone who wants to specialize
-Someone who wants to attend MSUCHM in Grand Rapids vs MSUCOM
-Someone who wants to attend MSUCHM in East Lansing vs MSUCOM
-Someone who wants to do a lot of research
-Someone who wants a joint Ph.D. program. ( MSU-MD/Ph.D. vs MSU-DO/Ph.D.)

Tanks in advance for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From Michigan and I've heard the same thing. I think people are exaggerating a bit. I'd say the MD is a better option 99.9% of the time. (Also GR> EL IMO). Unfortunately, even the "best" DO degree will close some doors for you, whereas almost nobody cares if you went to even a lower tier MD school.

The only situation where top DO> any MD is with Caribbean MDs or bottom-tier brand-new/ for-profit, questionable MD schools.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

MSUCOM graduate here. In general, MSUCHM will give you better future opportunities regardless of whether the actual education is better at one or the other.

1) For primary care both will give you a great education. MSUCOM has historically been ranked very highly for primary care programs (I think #9 in the nation when I was there?) but CHM also has some interesting rural opportunities and such. I'd happily recommend MSUCOM for primary care.

2) You'll have an easier time coming from an MD program, period. MSUCOM will allow you to specialize in most programs but you will be closed off to the top tier in the vast majority (maybe excluding PMR and path these days) just based on your degree.

3) GR is the place to be for CHM.

4) EL is the place to be for COM.

5) Research opportunities are good at both.

6) I don't see much difference in the joint PhD programs but the MD will always carry you further.

Reactions: 4 users
“Man, I wish I was memorizing sacral axes of rotation so I can gear up for a second set of board exams and less career opportunities!”...said no one ever.

Reactions: 4 users
I am applying to DO schools this cycle. I have heard great things about the DO program at Michigan State and I am applying there. My grandfather, uncle, and dad are all osteopathic physicians. My grandfather is a retired family medicine doctor and my dad and uncle are dermatologists. They all told me that the sky is the limit as an osteopathic physician it's all about how hard you work! Any DO school is much better than the Caribbean they told me. They also have told me that many DO schools are better than US MD schools and emphasized that it's all about how hard you work and who you know to get the residency you want!
My father shared with me that it is more competitive to get into Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and MSU than a lot of MD schools and said if I get an interview that I should bring my "A game" because its super competitive!

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying to DO schools this cycle. I have heard great things about the DO program at Michigan State and I am applying there. My grandfather, uncle, and dad are all osteopathic physicians. My grandfather is a retired family medicine doctor and my dad and uncle are dermatologists. They all told me that the sky is the limit as an osteopathic physician it's all about how hard you work! Any DO school is much better than the Caribbean they told me. They also have told me that many DO schools are better than US MD schools and emphasized that it's all about how hard you work and who you know to get the residency you want!
My father shared with me that it is more competitive to get into Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and MSU than a lot of MD schools and said if I get an interview that I should bring my "A game" because its super competitive!
LOL.

Good luck, maybe in a few years come match you will look back to all of this and see how insane all of this sounds. The only correct thing in that paragraph is part of Residency placement is about who you know.

Reactions: 3 users
They all told me that the sky is the limit as an osteopathic physician it's all about how hard you work! Any DO school is much better than the Caribbean they told me. They also have told me that many DO schools are better than US MD schools and emphasized that it's all about how hard you work and who you know to get the residency you want! My father shared with me that it is more competitive to get into Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and MSU than a lot of MD schools and said if I get an interview that I should bring my "A game" because its super competitive!

I truly feel sorry for you if you actually believe this troll-level content.

What is a troll? I was giving an honest opinion. From what my family has told me as well as some LizzyM rankings many DO schools including MSU give you just as good of a chance at succeeding as an MD school! My father and uncle showed me match lists from many of the top DO programs in the country (MSU) included and many had 4 to 5 people matching Derm. Many other students matched ENT, Integrated Plastics, and to top tier family medicine programs. They also showed me many allopathic schools that had only 1 match in Derm etc. I’m just saying as an applicant and someone who has been around the osteopathic profession my whole life I feel like many DO schools hold their own and are given a lot less credit. Although DO schools primary objective is to train primary care physicians as I have been told by family, don’t rule out other specialties!

What is a troll? I was giving an honest opinion. From what my family has told me as well as some LizzyM rankings many DO schools including MSU give you just as good of a chance at succeeding as an MD school! My father and uncle showed me match lists from many of the top DO programs in the country (MSU) included and many had 4 to 5 people matching Derm. Many other students matched ENT, Integrated Plastics, and to top tier family medicine programs. They also showed me many allopathic schools that had only 1 match in Derm etc. I’m just saying as an applicant and someone who has been around the osteopathic profession my whole life I feel like many DO schools hold their own and are given a lot less credit. Although DO schools primary objective is to train primary care physicians as I have been told by family, don’t rule out other specialties!

Trolling used to be more professional than this.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, please bare with me if this is a stupid question.

I know that in most cases a MD will give you more opportunities than a DO but I have been hearing that MSUCOM ( one of the best DO schools ) is better than MSUCHM ( a mid tier MD school).

What is your take for:

-Someone who wants to do primary care
-Someone who wants to specialize
-Someone who wants attends MSUCHM in Grand Rapids vs MSUCOM
-Someone who wants attends MSUCHM in East Lansing vs MSUCOM
-Someone who wants to do a lot of research
-Someone who wants a joint PhD program. ( MSU-MD/PhD vs MSU-DO/PhD)

Tanks in advance for any feedback!
Besides the fact that an MD will leave more doors open for you in general, you should also consider the quality of the clinical training sites. If you get into MSUCHM and get placed in Grand Rapids, you will have better clinical opportunities than most of the places where the MSUCOM students train. Grand Rapids ain't Boston but it beats some of the hole in the wall hospitals where MSUCOM students rotate.
Helen DeVos Children's Hospital | Spectrum Health

• Dislike