MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I got out of the MCAT, I had no idea at all what I got. I figured anywhere from 29-36. I had been getting 35+ on my practices, but I was wiped out by the end of the test (took the 8-hour version in '05), and my head wasn't quite in it when the biological sciences came up.

I ended up with a 33, so I guess I was close on my guess, but that might just have been because I had taken a bunch of practice tests.

Man I wasn't getting no 35+ on practice exams lol. So shall see how it goes.

I appreciate your desire and will still to attend medical school at your age, I hope I can have the same drive when I get to your age.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I finished my secondary for MSUCOM and I am waiting a response as well.

My Stats
27 year old male from VA

MCAT: 34 - 12 PS, 12 V, 10 BS, R W

GPA - not great
2.77 Overall

tired to turn around my grades when i made the decision to pursue medicine - 3.5 in my last 37 credit hours (i really doubt this matters) and have taken classes while working, receiving straight A's, Dean's list etc.

Volunteering as an EMT-B, on the stroke ward of a local hospital and at a free clinic

Working fulltime as an environmental engineer
I have been out of school for 3 years, working the whole time.

I am a little worried that MSUCOM doesn't seem to interview. I was hoping to use interviews to help sell my candidacy. Well good luck everyone!

There are 2 things that are definitely knocks against your application.

1) your an OOS applicant so you are competing against thousands of other people from OOS. MSUCOM only takes about 25-30 people each year I think from OOS

2) Your overall GPA is below 3.0.

I recommend doing either a Post Bacc or MS program.

Besides that you have great story (non traditional applicant, work experience, stellar MCAT). I would just work on your gpa, because it will make you competitive for whole other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input; I know I have an uphill battle because of my grades. It sort of sucks that there is no real way I can increase them. I graduated with over 200 credits. There is nothing I can really do outside of a post-bac or MS program like you suggested but then I wouldn't be able to support myself, so it is a toss up.

I've been complete at MSUCOM for over a week so I hope I hear from them soon!! MSUCOM is my top choice school :D

I've been complete at MSUCOM for over a week so I hope I hear from them soon!! MSUCOM is my top choice school :D

BOO no UofM people at MSU allowed.... lol Im just joking. :laugh:

GL, maybe now you can root for a team that can win...

BOO no UofM people at MSU allowed.... lol Im just joking. :laugh:

GL, maybe now you can root for a team that can win...

OUCH! I have a few friends at UofM that are suicidal right now.

Thanks for the input; I know I have an uphill battle because of my grades. It sort of sucks that there is no real way I can increase them. I graduated with over 200 credits. There is nothing I can really do outside of a post-bac or MS program like you suggested but then I wouldn't be able to support myself, so it is a toss up.

Hey I feel your pain, I'm also a re-applicant last year I applied only to MSUCOM (albiet, late and no MCAT score) was wait listed and rejected. This year I think I'm over 4 grand in debt and my college loans are starting to kick in. :eek:
Its an expensive process, but if you keep on applying with a low gpa you are greatly limiting your potential. I think if you have a stellar post bacc or MS gpa you would be able to go to any medical school you want. I see you have a VCOM interview coming up, thats good, you can show them you are a worthy applicant. I have heard of people getting into VCOM with 20 or 21 MCAT. It says on the site for VCOM they value the interview a great deal, so they must like you as an applicant to grant you one this early in the process. So Good luck and knock em dead at the interview.

OUCH! I have a few friends at UofM that are suicidal right now.

Should be after the a** kicking they received from Oregon, I'm ashamed to be in the same state. MSU has been the laughing stock for a while now against the UofM bullies, but now the tables have turned my friend....

MUAHAHAHAHHAHA MUAHAHAHHAHA :D:D

... Seriously I spend too much time on sdn instead of doing research... LOL

Who do you guys hate more, UofM or Notre Dame? I don't know who I am going to root for next week.

Notre Dame... they are OVERRATED every single year.

I can't say I hate UofM because I was their fan for close to 11 years till I went to MSU. Funny thing Is I was rooting for UofM openly on our campus in my freshmen year then got a solid beat down by some hardcore spartan fans :D:D:D. I guess its a cardinal sin for a spartan to root for a wolverine..

I'm not applying to MSUCOM, but as for stats, I averaged 12ppg and 8rpg as a senior in high school. We were state semifinalists too.

I hate Notre Dame because they are always on freaking TV, even when they are terrible, and even when they're playing Army or someone crappy.

I generally like Michigan. I don't really see how anyone could dislike them. Solid sports, great academics. I think they're lacking in hot chicks though, and I did like watching Vince Young stomp a mudhole in them a couple years ago.

Interestingly enough, that was the first and only time Texas and Michigan have ever played in football. Two of the oldest and most successful programs of all-time, and they didn't play until the 2005 rose bowl.

Members don't see this ad :)
threadhijack.jpg

The rumor is MSUCOM meets on Tuesdays. Does anyone know what time? Morning, Afternoon?

Morning I think. What would you guys say, If we could have live admission reviews with the applicant sitting through a tele - conference (or in person) with the ADCOM members? It would be sweet as you will be able to defend ourself. But I don't think I can handle 12 people grilling me about my application. LOL

speete is that thing tipping over.

So today is my August 14th score release, I'm in official freak out mode right now. Thank god got some sleep last night, did have a weird dream but it was a non-MCAT one.

Did any of my fellow SDNrs get an acceptance email today?

Wait listed/guaranteed place next year!!!!!

I'll take either one!!!!

I wish the rest of you the best.
Most of you have better stats so I'm sure you will be fine.:thumbup:

Congrats.... I think you should have been accepted you have good stats. Are you instate or an oos applicant to MSUCOM.

But how do you know wait-listed means guaranteed admissions next year?

Is this true? That once an OOS always an OOS? Even if you pay income tax/etc b/c your spouse move to work there?

You must live in MI as a non-student for at least a year (to the day) before starting classes. You can defer to become instate if you get in.

Guys, although it's a fantastic school, if you are OOS, I really don't recommend MSU unless you have incredibly compelling desire to go to MSU, MI, or don't get in anywhere else. Tuition is crippling.

Desi- I received 2 emails. One was a regular wait list email, and another stating that a guaranteed spot had been authorized.

I am in state.

Desi- I received 2 emails. One was a regular wait list email, and another stating that a guaranteed spot had been authorized.
I am in state.

OO nice, congratulations. So are you going to still go for it for this cycle or withdraw the rest of your apps.?

Congrats Rcole! I am jealous b/c I haven't gotten an email yet. When were you complete?

Congrates Rcole! I am jealous b/c I haven't gotten an email yet. When were you complete?

Ditto! I guess I will wait to next week! I wish they would tell us if we are even getting reviewed right now or on hold.

Where you waitlisted to MSUCOM or CHM?

Ditto! I guess I will wait to next week! I wish they would tell us if we are even getting reviewed right now or on hold.

Where you waitlisted to MSUCOM or CHM?

I'm waitlisted at CHM, and still under review at COM.

Good luck with CHM. Did COM notify you if you are under review?

I was notified that my app was complete, so I am saying under review. In reality MSUCOM might never even look at our 2*. I think the ADCOM actually looks at about 20%.

OO nice, congratulations. So are you going to still go for it for this cycle or withdraw the rest of your apps.?
I am going to withdraw the rest, for sure.

Congrats Rcole! I am jealous b/c I haven't gotten an email yet. When were you complete?

I was complete 8/16. That was one week after scowedeva completed hers and this came one week after her acceptance. It looks like 4 weeks is the magic number for now.

I am going to withdraw the rest, for sure.

I was complete 8/16. That was one week after scowedeva completed hers and this came one week after her acceptance. It looks like 4 weeks is the magic number for now.

Ok I just have to chill for a few weeks then. Thanks.

So far 5 people have acceptances for this year, and 1 for next year. Out of 205 spots, 5 have been taken. So 200 left to fight over :D.

I got a private message from one of the acceptee's from today that they were complete on August 28th (I hope that person doesn't mind me sharing this). So I'm not sure about the unofficial 4 week turnover time.

So far 5 people have acceptances for this year, and 1 for next year. Out of 205 spots, 5 have been taken. So 200 left to fight over :D.

I got a private message from one of the acceptee's from today that they were complete on August 28th (I hope that person doesn't mind me sharing this). So I'm not sure about the unofficial 4 week turnover time.

However, the 5 accepted are only the SDN people. There could be more, so <200

Congrats speeter, your stats are good I think you have a real good shot to get in. I hope once my MCAT score gets to them (either Wednesday or Thursday) I get reviewed immediately. I just want to KNOW dammit.

On other note, Is it true having a high VR score opens up more doors for you then a high PS or BS score?

Well, I am tending to believe a high verbal score will make them take a second look...I have a 12 in verbal and not so impressive scores in the other subjects. However, all the schools that screen pre-secondary gave me the nod. My stats are less than the ideal, and I even have an allo interview scheduled already...maybe because of my verbal? Idk, my guess is as good as anyone else's, but there are all those quotes of high verbal coinciding with good board scores.....

EDIT: This was some def topic jumping, sorry guys, but I didnt finish reading the thread first...now to bring it back to the present...

However, the 5 accepted are only the SDN people. There could be more, so <200

Yes, hopefully I'll be in that top 50% that I hear gets off the wait list.:)

I'm sure there are a few more unreported acceptances. Most applicants I know are either unaware of SDN or have no interest. It is still pretty early though so who knows.

When my brother went to MSUCOM (2000), at that time they only had 130 spots I think, and he said they took close to 60 people of the list.

GL

Arrrrrghhhhh, I hate waiting for MCAT scores, I haven't been able to function for the last couple days... :sleep:

When my brother went to MSUCOM (2000), at that time they only had 130 spots I think, and he said they took close to 60 people of the list.

GL

Arrrrrghhhhh, I hate waiting for MCAT scores, I haven't been able to function for the last couple days... :sleep:

I thought your scores were coming in today!?

Yes, hopefully I'll be in that top 50% that I hear gets off the wait list.:)

I'm sure there are a few more unreported acceptances. Most applicants I know are either unaware of SDN or have no interest. It is still pretty early though so who knows.

You are high on the wait list since it is so early and you have a guaranteed acceptance next year. I think your good! gl

brought to personal message

I thought your scores were coming in today!?

Thats what I thought, August 14th scores delayed till This Friday evening..... ARRRGHHHH!!!!! This makes me even more mad, maybe my scores are so bad God doesn't want me to look at them. I seriously can't handle anymore waiting.

Thats what I thought, August 14th scores delayed till This Friday evening..... ARRRGHHHH!!!!! This makes me even more mad, maybe my scores are so bad God doesn't want me to look at them. I seriously can't handle anymore waiting.

I'm sure you did fine. Take a few valium tomorrow and wake up friday ready to get your scores :D

Does anyone have an idea of when the first OOS will be accepted?

Not before me you don't.... lol

O wait I still don't have my MCAT score yet, SO I AM STILL NOT COMPLETE....... aaAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

JPC - I'm sure you will be hearing from them pretty soon. Your an OOS applicant huh? So are you willing to shell out the big bucks to attend MSUCOM?

Not before me you don't.... lol

O wait I still don't have my MCAT score yet, SO I AM STILL NOT COMPLETE....... aaAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

JPC - I'm sure you will be hearing from them pretty soon. Your an OOS applicant huh? So are you willing to shell out the big bucks to attend MSUCOM?

I am OOS, but have significant ties to the school and state. I have family (aunts and uncles) in Michigan and I am a legacy, so hopefully that plays a role. I don't know how much that matters at MSU though. I plan to get a HPSP scholarship so hopefully that works out.

I think legacy does play an important role at MSU, because it shows your dedication to osteopathic medicine. My brother is a MSUCOM alumni and I have heard they look favorably on siblings, or relatives of past alumni (I hope they do, lol)

I think legacy does play an important role at MSU, because it shows your dedication to osteopathic medicine. My brother is a MSUCOM alumni and I have heard they look favorably on siblings, or relatives of past alumni (I hope they do, lol)

ditto!

How do you know your application is complete? Do they send you an e-mail?

How often does that get updated?

Their website says every night. I've found that to be fairly accurate.