MSTP Secondary App. Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlamacc1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be helpful for applicants like myself to have a list of info regarding each program's secondary application. So, anyone who's familiar with a secondary, please tell us what it's like. Useful information would include: number of essays (and if you were allowed to use your AMCAS essays on the secondary), amount of time to complete the app, when you received the app, and any other unexpected questions on the app. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be helpful for applicants like myself to have a list of info regarding each program's secondary application. So, anyone who's familiar with a secondary, please tell us what it's like. Useful information would include: number of essays (and if you were allowed to use your AMCAS essays on the secondary), amount of time to complete the app, when you received the app, and any other unexpected questions on the app. Thanks!

Great idea. It also may be helpful to include what you know about where LOR's should be sent, because some schools say MD, others say MSTP, others say both.

Here is what I have so far for the schools to which I am applying:

Harvard-Mailed instructions for completing the online HMS secondary (valid for NP, HST, MSTP)
(send letters of recommendation to MD but not MSTP)
Reputedly an easy secondary (no essays)

Hopkins-MD secondary, which contains special instructions for MSTP applicants (not yet available)
(presumably, send letters of recommendation to MD but not MSTP)

Iowa-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary, which includes a supplemental MSTP application
(see instructions for letters of recommendation instructions)

Michigan-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary
(send letters of recommendation directly to the MSTP but not MD (Virtual Evaluations is fine))

Penn-Mailed instructions for completing the online MSTP secondary (no MD secondary necessary)
(see secondary for instructions on letters of recommendation)

Stanford-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary

Tri-I-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary; Also complete a supplemental Tri-I MSTP secondary

UCSD-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary
(send letters of recommendation directly to the MSTP as well as MD)

UCSF-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary, which includes a brief supplemental essay that can be duplicated from AMCAS

WUSTL-Submit the MD secondary (available probably on JUNE 15)
(requires a certification by current Dean of students); Submit the MSTP supplemental (independent from the MD secondary); don’t need invitation (available JULY 1)
(send letters of recommendation to both MD and MSTP)

Yale-Submit the MD secondary, which includes MSTP section, available NOW
Essay questions:
-Write a one-page statement concerning: Graduate study; The graduate program you propose to follow at Yale; The strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed field
-discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine
-additional page (optional): any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Supplemental Application.

Great idea. It also may be helpful to include what you know about where LOR's should be sent, because some schools say MD, others say MSTP, others say both.

Here is what I have so far for the schools to which I am applying:

Harvard-Mailed instructions for completing the online HMS secondary (valid for NP, HST, MSTP)
Reputedly an easy secondary (no essays)

Hopkins-MD secondary, which contains special instructions for MSTP applicants (not yet available)
(presumably, send letters of recommendation to MD but not MSTP)

Iowa-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary, which includes a supplemental MSTP application
(see instructions for letters of recommendation instructions)

Michigan-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary
(send letters of recommendation directly to the MSTP but not MD (Virtual Evaluations is fine))

Penn-Mailed instructions for completing the online MSTP secondary (no MD secondary necessary)
(see secondary for instructions on letters of recommendation)

Stanford-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary

Tri-I-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary; Also complete a supplemental Tri-I MSTP secondary

UCSD-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary
(send letters of recommendation directly to the MSTP as well as MD)

UCSF-Mailed instructions for completing the online MD secondary, which includes a brief supplemental essay that can be duplicated from AMCAS

WUSTL-Submit the MD secondary (available probably on JUNE 15)
(requires a certification by current Dean of students); Submit the MSTP supplemental (independent from the MD secondary); don’t need invitation (available JULY 1)
(send letters of recommendation to both MD and MSTP)

Yale-Submit the MD secondary, which includes MSTP section, available NOW
Essay questions:
-Write a one-page statement concerning: Graduate study; The graduate program you propose to follow at Yale; The strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed field
-discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine
-additional page (optional): any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Supplemental Application.

Is this info from the school's webiste or did you already get all of these secondaries? If the second, 1. I am super impressed, especially about UCSF, and 2. I am sad that I still haven't submitted (re-writing MD/PhD statement, most people didn't like it :()

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this info from the school's webiste or did you already get all of these secondaries? If the second, 1. I am super impressed, especially about UCSF, and 2. I am sad that I still haven't submitted (re-writing MD/PhD statement, most people didn't like it :()

Don't worry, I haven't gotten a single secondary yet! I scoured the websites during a down day at work to get all of this info. Other people need to add what they know about other schools, and I'll update with more info about these secondaries as soon as they start to roll in.

(and about the UCSF secondary, I've heard that OOS it's almost entirely a numerical cutoff; they don't ask for any additional essays, so they actually read the app to determine whom to interview.)

Don't worry, I haven't gotten a single secondary yet! I scoured the websites during a down day at work to get all of this info. Other people need to add what they know about other schools, and I'll update with more info about these secondaries as soon as they start to roll in.

(and about the UCSF secondary, I've heard that OOS it's almost entirely a numerical cutoff; they don't ask for any additional essays, so they actually read the app to determine whom to interview.)

Oh good! Actually I have done that too, but we are pretty much applying to the same schools, so nothing new to add. Oh btw, do you happen to know what the cutoffs are for UCSF?

Oh good! Actually I have done that too, but we are pretty much applying to the same schools, so nothing new to add. Oh btw, do you happen to know what the cutoffs are for UCSF?

Sorry, no clue.

FYI, the Hopkins secondary is now available online. It looks pretty short.

A bit of a random question: how much does applying cost usually? It's in the 70$ per school right? Do you have to pay two fees, one for the AMCAS and one for the secondary application or just one?

and Yale...

and Cornell Tri-I

to Jorje: I believe the range is from about $70 - $100 for the secondary fee, and yes this is in addition to the $160 + $30*(#schools-1) you pay AMCAS.

A bit of a random question: how much does applying cost usually? It's in the 70$ per school right? Do you have to pay two fees, one for the AMCAS and one for the secondary application or just one?

I'm interested in this question as well.

Since I've heard MSTP's flying applicants for interviews and so on, does it cost a lot to apply?
How much would it take to say, apply to 30 schools and interview with 10 of them?

I'm interested in this question as well.

Since I've heard MSTP's flying applicants for interviews and so on, does it cost a lot to apply?
How much would it take to say, apply to 30 schools and interview with 10 of them?

Some MSTP's fly applicants for interviews and others don't. Assuming that you received 25 of 30 secondaries (for an average cost of 75 dollars) and, say, 5 of the 10 schools where you interviewed paid for your interview, and that it cost you 300 on average to interview at those which didn't pay (flights, hotel, food), then it would probably cost you something to the effect of:

AMCAS: 160 + 30*(30) = 1060
secondaries: 75 (average)*25 = 1875
interviews: 300 (average) *5 = 1500

So that's about $4500.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some MSTP's fly applicants for interviews and others don't. Assuming that you received 25 of 30 secondaries (for an average cost of 75 dollars) and, say, 5 of the 10 schools where you interviewed paid for your interview, and that it cost you 300 on average to interview at those which didn't pay (flights, hotel, food), then it would probably cost you something to the effect of:

AMCAS: 160 + 30*(30) = 1060
secondaries: 75 (average)*25 = 1875
interviews: 300 (average) *5 = 1500

So that's about $4500.

None of the schools I interview with (UCSF, UCSD, UCI, Harvard, Yale, NYU, Stanford, Dartmouth) paid for anything. Although NYU did put applicants up in a hotel the night before. AMCAS + secondaries + interviews + suit + misc expenses = ~$5000. I wasn't able to combine west coast interviews, so I ended up criss crossing the country a couple times and for schools that I really wanted to get in I stayed in a hotel the night before to make sure I got some rest. I heard too many horror stories about sleeping on the floor of a current students apt. And average secondary is more like $90, the low UC's offset the $100 ones from NYU, Cornell, etc.

None of the schools I interview with (UCSF, UCSD, UCI, Harvard, Yale, NYU, Stanford, Dartmouth) paid for anything. Although NYU did put applicants up in a hotel the night before. AMCAS + secondaries + interviews + suit + misc expenses = ~$5000. I wasn't able to combine west coast interviews, so I ended up criss crossing the country a couple times and for schools that I really wanted to get in I stayed in a hotel the night before to make sure I got some rest. I heard too many horror stories about sleeping on the floor of a current students apt. And average secondary is more like $90, the low UC's offset the $100 ones from NYU, Cornell, etc.

The total was about $3600 for me; AMCAS 18 schools, 13 secondaries, and 11 interviews (3 CA, 2 NY, 2 TX, harvard, hopkins, washu). You can really save a lot by doing back-to-back interviews. Also sign up for miles.. you can usually open a credit card of some sort and get 20,000 miles off the bat, and then 2 interviews later, you'll get a free round trip. I combined interviews and did groups of 4, 2, 2, and then a few single ones. For schools that pay for your airfare (WashU and UChicago are all I know of), if you have other interviews right before or after, it's perfectly reasonable to simply have them fly you from or to that location. I always found free housing when it wasn't provided either with a friend or host and didn't have any problems, although i can see how horror stories could happen.

For those ineterested the MSTP secondaries for U of Wisconsin and U of Connecticut are up.

For those ineterested the MSTP secondaries for U of Wisconsin and U of Connecticut are up.

On that note, for the UConn app do they mean three pages for all six questions and not that each question can be 3 pages maximum right?

For Anyone who has looked at the Yale secondary:
What did you do about the certification and MD/PhD recommendation forms? I can only get them to open in my web browser but it says I should type in them.

For Anyone who has looked at the Yale secondary:
What did you do about the certification and MD/PhD recommendation forms? I can only get them to open in my web browser but it says I should type in them.

Yeah, it was weird that they don't provide a pdf. I just printed them off and then wrote in manuscript very neatly.

Can someone post the link to the UMich secondary or is it invite only?

Also, is Pitt available to everyone right now? If so, what is the link?

I got emails for U Mich and U Pitt both

U Mich

1.Briefly describe why you decided to apply to U of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., briefly explain. – 1500 Characters

At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

U Pitt

Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2.The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of the University of Pittsburgh's Medical School Admissions Committee. Please tell us whether facets of your life, background or education to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal.
(Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Yeah, it was weird that they don't provide a pdf. I just printed them off and then wrote in manuscript very neatly.

I figured out its actually possible to copy and paste the document into word.. i am just doing that. I was wondering though, when it asks the reviewer to comment on the applicant's strength's and weaknesses, how is this different from the letter of recommendation?

Ok, I have another question. On secondaries it often asks you to choose MSTP only or "consider for MD is turned down for MSTP". Does it hurt you to put down the latter? I'm applying for a non-trad MD/PhD combination and don't want to be left out in the cold if I don't get an MD/PhD acceptance.

I figured out its actually possible to copy and paste the document into word.. i am just doing that. I was wondering though, when it asks the reviewer to comment on the applicant's strength's and weaknesses, how is this different from the letter of recommendation?

No different. I think my recommendors are just attaching the same letter.

Anyone else having a problem with the 3rd essay (2nd MSTP essay) for Case? For some reason I can't view it when I get ready to print my application even though it is saved in the data base. Weird...:mad:

Could someone please post the questions for Case? It would be nice if we could keep this going for all the MSTP secondaries like they have over in the MD thread.

From UNC

"Based on the strength of your application, we invite you to continue the application process with the UNC MD-PhD program.

Our supplemental application materials for the Fall of 2008 are in development. As soon as the materials are ready, I will email you with information on how to complete your application to the UNC MD-PhD program."

So - I guess that's a good sign? Does UNC screen?

Could someone please post the questions for Case? It would be nice if we could keep this going for all the MSTP secondaries like they have over in the MD thread.

Autobiographical Essay:
(Required)
The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Please describe an experience or situation which you found personally challenging and discuss how it helped to shape you as a person. You may discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, situation of personal adversity or other life-event you believe to have been important in your personal development. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

Research Essay:
(Required)
The Case MSTP requires answers to two essay questions that are the same as the MD/PhD questions on the AMCAS application. If you indicated MD/PhD application on the AMCAS application, your answers to the AMCAS MD/PhD questions have been imported below. You may leave these answers unmodified, or you may modify them specifically for the Case MSTP. If you did not indicate MD/PhD on the AMCAS application but desire to do so now, please provide answers to the following questions.

Please describe your significant research experiences. In your statement, please specify your research supervisor's name and affiliation, the duration of the experience, the nature of the problem studied, and your contributions to the project. Please limit your essay to 3 pages (about 10,000 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

Motivation Essay:
In the field below, please state your reasons for wishing to pursue the combined MD/PhD degree. Please limit your essay to 1 pages (about 3,000 characters). If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

hope this helps!

No different. I think my recommendors are just attaching the same letter.

Are you guys just asking your MD/PhD specific people to fill out the form or all of your recommenders? What a pain in the arse to have my recommenders fill out an additional form! Ugh....and then we have to ask them to mail them in....double ugh

From UNC

"Based on the strength of your application, we invite you to continue the application process with the UNC MD-PhD program.

Our supplemental application materials for the Fall of 2008 are in development. As soon as the materials are ready, I will email you with information on how to complete your application to the UNC MD-PhD program."

So - I guess that's a good sign? Does UNC screen?

I got this too. I assume they screen.

Are you guys going with your AMCAS essays for Case? I've updated my Sig Research essay since AMCAS submission, and will be using this version for secondaries.

What about "Why MD/PhD"? I shudder at creating the same essay re-worded (though, I already did that for Kentucky's "Please tell us why you want to go into medicine, don't use your AMCAS PS" prompt).

I got UNC's email too. I was pumped about that - I would love to go there.

Are you guys just asking your MD/PhD specific people to fill out the form or all of your recommenders? What a pain in the arse to have my recommenders fill out an additional form! Ugh....and then we have to ask them to mail them in....double ugh

Yeah just my MD/PhD-specific people, not all of my recommenders. It is a huge pain in the butt.

Are you guys going with your AMCAS essays for Case? I've updated my Sig Research essay since AMCAS submission, and will be using this version for secondaries.

What about "Why MD/PhD"? I shudder at creating the same essay re-worded (though, I already did that for Kentucky's "Please tell us why you want to go into medicine, don't use your AMCAS PS" prompt).

I got UNC's email too. I was pumped about that - I would love to go there.

When I looked at Case's secondary, it already had my Research Experience essay and Motivational (Why MD/PhD) essay uploaded.....thus I'm not going to rewrite one

When I looked at Case's secondary, it already had my Research Experience essay and Motivational (Why MD/PhD) essay uploaded.....thus I'm not going to rewrite one

That's what I was thinking as well. The only reason I have a new Sig Research is because all of the research I wrote about is still going on (and I'm sure I'll have to keep updating it as this summer drags on).

Same.

no rewrites for me.

Well, I just finished the WashU secondary. Easy pie! No considerable writing (just a paragraph blurb on your research interests) and not too many check-boxes. It took me less than an hour to complete. WashU does, however, ask you for a few funny bits of info, like how many hours per week you worked a paying job and your high school GPA/SAT/ACT!

Hey everyone - I just got an email from UMich requesting my LORs. The address in the email is for the med school only. When looking at the MSTP website however, it says to mail the LORs to the MSTP office.....I'm thinking I'll take this email as a sign the send the LORs to the MSTP office? What is everyone else doing?

FYI, yesterday UCSD e-mailed to inform that their secondary was available, although they were having "technical difficulties" and it will be accessible today at noon (presumably Cali time). I guess they screen because the e-mail did say "you have been approved for a secondary application".