mstp nightmares

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullsI

Right on target
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, who has had terrible experiences with MSTP programs, enough that they decided it wasn't for them and just did MD? also, are there any notoriously poor programs to avoid, and which schools?

Members don't see this ad.

bullsI said:
So, who has had terrible experiences with MSTP programs, enough that they decided it wasn't for them and just did MD? also, are there any notoriously poor programs to avoid, and which schools?

I'd make sure that whereever you go, you have a supportive faculty and students. At my school, the MD/PhDs have a weekly class; we know each other VERY well. At other schools, you only see others maybe once a month. I liked having the support on Match Day when all my friends found out where they were going and I was going "back to the lab."

I would avoid very small programs, because MD/PhD's generally have a different set of priorities than single-degree students, and it's easy to have your needs ignored if you're one of a small minority.

The only specific program that I've heard bad things about is Harvard's program. I know that Harvard and Columbia were both on probation from the NIH for failing to get people out in a reasonable period of time. Columbia has turned their program around since then but I don't know how Harvard is doing. I would ask them about average time to graduation if you interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
tr said:
I would avoid very small programs, because MD/PhD's generally have a different set of priorities than single-degree students, and it's easy to have your needs ignored if you're one of a small minority.

The only specific program that I've heard bad things about is Harvard's program. I know that Harvard and Columbia were both on probation from the NIH for failing to get people out in a reasonable period of time. Columbia has turned their program around since then but I don't know how Harvard is doing. I would ask them about average time to graduation if you interview there.
Anyone here on this forum from Harvard MSTP who can comment on this?

uproarhz said:
Anyone here on this forum from Harvard MSTP who can comment on this?

Probably not, they are too busy to post; trying to 'get out in a reasonable amount of time.' ;) :D

hi guys,

the new program director at hms is a great guy . his main agenda is to help students graduate earlier than normal. according to him, the average time is between 9 to 10 years, but he's trying to change that. one new thing he's doing to making students do a summer rotation right before year 1 to save time. (i turned down md/phd at hms for the md- only program for entire personal reasons. but i'd recommended the program to others.)

hope this helps!

~a

SaltySqueegee said:
Probably not, they are too busy to post; trying to 'get out in a reasonable amount of time.' ;) :D

Well not all of us are too busy....I'm currently doing my clinical rotations just after completing my PhD and here is my perspective.

It is true that in the past the Harvard program has been relatively long, this was due to a number of factors. The first is that all students had to (and still have to) apply separately to a PhD program and complete all the necessary requirements just like any other graduate student in that program. This application occurs during the second year of medical school and is a standard application including interviews, test scores, letters of rec, etc.... and then the student enters the graduate program as a regular graduate student without any preferred status. This still is the case, but now students are required to start the summer before their first year with a research rotation and MD/PhD specific class. Students are also required to take graduate courses during medical school to fulfill the necessary requirements faster. Furthermore, while students must still apply to a particular program after their 2nd year, they can declare their interest early on and be better prepared for the requirements and application process.

These reforms have really made a difference in the efficiency of the program without sacrificing its breadth or rigor. Also after completion of Step I of the USMLE boards, students take one clinical rotation prior to starting graduate school, which helps solidify clinical skills and makes the transition back to the wards much easier.

While these changes do make the program more efficient some students will undoubtedly take longer for a number of reasons that are really out of control of the program. Also I do not believe that there are short-cuts in research and sometimes some projects will take longer for any number of factors. This is the cost of getting a rigorous and thorough scientific training, despite some of the comments on this forum. I have never heard of MD/PhD students being pulled off bad projects or given potentially successful projects over other graduate students. Everyone has to struggle sometimes and it is in this struggle that truly innovative ideas are born.

Anyhow, I do highly recommend the program to anyone interested and trust that the program will continue to improve (despite its small size) under the excellent leadership of Chris Walsh.

-V