mstp application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randallB

fear the krab
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm working on the Duke secondary, and had a question regarding listing other mstp programs to which one is applying. I'm not considering lying, but at the same time, do you guys think that applying to other competitive mstp programs could weaken one's application at a particular school? I've heard about this kind of stuff happening for undergrad admissions, wherein a school would reject a qualified candidate because they assumed he/she would attend a higher-ranked school. Any thoughts are appreciated

best of luck to all applying

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody knows the answer, it is a great mystery. I wouldn't worry about factors that are unknown and you have no control over. If you choose to interview at a particular school try to be as enthusiastic as possible, you'll be fine.

But why would they be asking this? Are they really asking which other schools are we applying to? That is a really weird question. Anyone from previous years have an idea how this impacted their application? For example did they bring it up in interviews or anything?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools have NO RIGHT to ask what other programs you are applying to.

I would leave that section blank, or just put a couple of your other schools on there.

There is ZERO REASON for them to ask about that. It has NOTHING to do with your qualifications as an MSTP student.

Quoting from Iserson's Guide to Getting Into Residency (of which getting in the medical school is quite similar):

=====================
(pg. 426):

Interview Questions: Where else have you interviewed? (alternatively, applied?)
This is many residency directors' favorite question. Don't become paranoid when you hear it. In most cases, they are not trying to test your interview choices. They are doing two things.

The first is determining whether you have selected programs in a reasonable sufficient quantity and of a quality to assure that you match with a program.

The second reason they ask is usually to find out current information about other training programs. Often you are the best source of information that is available to them about other residency programs. Interviewers will be interested in pumping you for facts. Give them what they want. Tell them about what is going on in the places you visited. You may have to review all of your notes before each interview. If you just do not remember some of the specifics, be honest enough to say so. The interviewer will appreciate this. Be enthusiastic. But, as mentioned before, under no circumstances should you say anything derogatory about other programs or other faculty. If you say negative things aobut other programs to this interviewer, what will you say about this program when you go elsewhere? Negative comments are a sign of immaturity. Avoid them.
=====================

I did not hesitate to reveal my application choices during my interview season, and for me, it was best to answer such questions if there was no ulterior motive behind them. Certainly, I don't think this kind of question is on the same level as ones in the illegal category.

Thanks there,
This was helpful. I guess if I was interviewer I wouldn't ask it, but if asked I would try to asnwer it as best as I can. I think on the application I would just put a few of the schools down. Maybe like the ones I've got a secondary from so far, cause there is no point in putting down a school I don't even know I am going to be further screened for. (I doubt that I would get rejected from too many schools pre-secondary but you never know!!! :scared:
Thanks for sharing the info :)

JPaikman said:
Quoting from Iserson's Guide to Getting Into Residency (of which getting in the medical school is quite similar):

=====================
(pg. 426):

Interview Questions: Where else have you interviewed? (alternatively, applied?)
This is many residency directors' favorite question. Don't become paranoid when you hear it. In most cases, they are not trying to test your interview choices. They are doing two things.

The first is determining whether you have selected programs in a reasonable sufficient quantity and of a quality to assure that you match with a program.

The second reason they ask is usually to find out current information about other training programs. Often you are the best source of information that is available to them about other residency programs. Interviewers will be interested in pumping you for facts. Give them what they want. Tell them about what is going on in the places you visited. You may have to review all of your notes before each interview. If you just do not remember some of the specifics, be honest enough to say so. The interviewer will appreciate this. Be enthusiastic. But, as mentioned before, under no circumstances should you say anything derogatory about other programs or other faculty. If you say negative things aobut other programs to this interviewer, what will you say about this program when you go elsewhere? Negative comments are a sign of immaturity. Avoid them.
=====================

I did not hesitate to reveal my application choices during my interview season, and for me, it was best to answer such questions if there was no ulterior motive behind them. Certainly, I don't think this kind of question is on the same level as ones in the illegal category.