MSM Class of 2011 (Morehouse)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralleyne

Trini_Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking all over SDN and see that there is no Morehouse class of 2011 thread. I will be attending this fall. Is there anyone else out there who will be attending?

I was thinking it would be good for us to share any information that would assist us all.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been looking all over SDN and see that there is no Morehouse class of 2011 thread. I will be attending this fall. Is there anyone else out there who will be attending?

I was thinking it would be good for us to share any information that would assist us all.

Congrats ralleyne!

I just got my acceptance package today! I don't know that I will be attending, I have some decisions to make, but I would be honored to add to the legacy!

Lets keep this thread alive!

im not sure either, but i really like the school

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything about registration or class start date?

Classes start Friday 7/6 and registration is that afternoon.

From the last mailing I got (approx 04/20) it looks like the Orientation is on July 6th and classes start on July 10th. I am still waiting to see how schedule will be in terms of class time. I know previously Morehouse is known to have pretty full days compared to other schools. Whether the schedule of all day is a good or not so good thing is left to be seen.

I got an acceptance this past Friday - does anyone know if there is a white coat ceremony?

Hey you guys, It looks like I am almost 100% sure I will be attending Morehouse (there is a small gimmer of hope I'll be staying in CA). The white coat ceremony may be in mid-Sept. I think the pervious schedules list it as convocation. I was wondering has anyone received anything from the financial aid department or any other stuff yet?:)

Nothing about financial aid yet except for them asking for information a while back. I see Friday Sept. 21st listed as the convocation date on the last mailing.

I know now that I will definitely be attending Morehouse. I am so excited.
I am ready to start, definitely. The white coat ceremony is during convocation I believe.

You guys know where you will be living?

I know now that I will definitely be attending Morehouse. I am so excited.
I am ready to start, definitely. The white coat ceremony is during convocation I believe.

You guys know where you will be living?
Already live here in Atlanta so I will be staying where I live now (about 20 mins away from campus)

Anyone in the area have ideas on good places to live? I would like to be close to school but close to the night life (for the few times I will get to enjoy it):D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MSM 2011!! :) I'm moving down to Atlanta on the 25th. Anyone have any info on how long it takes for financial aid to kick in?

Hey MSM 2011!! :) I'm moving down to Atlanta on the 25th. Anyone have any info on how long it takes for financial aid to kick in?
Wish I knew. I got an email indicating my fie was complete, then another showing a tenative award but nothing in terms of dates.

I was told by Dr. Roaf that we should get our first institutional check(from Morehouse) in Mid-August. Until then we are on our own:laugh:

Certainly there are other private loan options that yo:laugh: can explore, but as far as Morehouse's government checks, that is when we are tentatively supposed to receive them.

Did anyone get that booklist? It is atrocious :laugh::laugh:

I am excited still. See you guys on the 6th...

hey class 2011!
welcome to MSM!!!

i am now a second year at MSM and want to say...HEY!

as far as the books are concerned, DO NOT buy all the books!
there are certain books you will need butcertainly not all on th list. i made the mistake of purchasing every single book and in the end, wasted alot of money.

class of 2010 has compiled a survey of which books were the most useful for the 1st year and i believe that we will be giving that list to you guys. i'm not sure when though...possibly during orientation. but don't worry as that is NOT late to get books.

good luck!

Thanks for the information MSM2010. How soon do you think we will need the books on the list? Orientation being june 6th and the classes start on the 10th we would almost have to get the books at the engineering book store. I have seen much of them for cheaper on Amazon and the shipment time would make them late for the start of classes.

hey class 2011!
welcome to MSM!!!

i am now a second year at MSM and want to say...HEY!

as far as the books are concerned, DO NOT buy all the books!
there are certain books you will need butcertainly not all on th list. i made the mistake of purchasing every single book and in the end, wasted alot of money.

class of 2010 has compiled a survey of which books were the most useful for the 1st year and i believe that we will be giving that list to you guys. i'm not sure when though...possibly during orientation. but don't worry as that is NOT late to get books.

good luck!

hmmm...i am not sure what your schedule is like since they completely revamped the curriculum from our year. but if it is any similar, you dont have to buy physio or anatomy books just yet since they will start after unit I. in fact, your sib may even give you some books for those class (for ex: grant's dissector). however, there is one book that you should get no matter what. that is dr. paulsen's histo book. he teaches most of the histo portion of human morph. and since he has written a book, it is most wise to buy that book.
as for biochem, i ONLY used one book - lippincotts. again, your sib may give you that book as well. at any rate, i dont think i used it for unit I. for unit I, the lectures alone seemed sufficient for me. i didnt use any extra resources outside classroom (other than dr. paulsen's book).

hope this helps.
if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again MSM2010

hmmm...i am not sure what your schedule is like since they completely revamped the curriculum from our year. but if it is any similar, you dont have to buy physio or anatomy books just yet since they will start after unit I. in fact, your sib may even give you some books for those class (for ex: grant's dissector). however, there is one book that you should get no matter what. that is dr. paulsen's histo book. he teaches most of the histo portion of human morph. and since he has written a book, it is most wise to buy that book.
as for biochem, i ONLY used one book - lippincotts. again, your sib may give you that book as well. at any rate, i dont think i used it for unit I. for unit I, the lectures alone seemed sufficient for me. i didnt use any extra resources outside classroom (other than dr. paulsen's book).

hope this helps.
if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey guys,
Congrats on getting into Morehouse! I'm sure you have a lot of questions since school starts in just a few weeks. I'm a member of c/o 2010 as well, so feel free to PM me. I agree with MSM2010....don't buy any books until you've heard from your sib. If for some reason your sib doesn't get in touch w/ you asap, you might want to buy Dr. Paulsen's book, but you can definitely wait at least 2 wks before you go buy it. The first unit is really basic stuff that you've most likely covered completely in undergrad, and you can do well w/o any of the books for sure. For first unit, the only books you'll probably even use are Lippincott's Biochem and Paulsen's Histo. I actually really didn't use Paulsen's book except when I couldn't sleep, and I opted to use Juncquiero (sp?) histo book instead because Paulsen's book is basically a study guide version of this book....seriously, I dont' know how he got around copyright laws....and this book explains more stuff and has pictures, which Dr. P's book does not....
Also, sib stuff...if you don't know already, you will be paired with a member of our class who will be your resource for whatever you may need...they will almost certainly give you books and whatever else they used this past year. We are working on the SibCD, which will have lots of old tests, quizzes, study guides, etc. for you to use throughout the year. Also, there a few members of your class from last year's summer program, so they have already covered this unit and will be good resources for you. Identify those ppl early and make sure to ask them whatever questions you have because they had to have done well on the first unit to get in.
Convocation = white coat ceremony and is always some time in September. Classes won't start until the Monday after orientation, so I guess that's 7/10. Our class won't be back until 8/13, but there are some in ATL, who will probably come talk to your class.
Ok, this is really long, so PM me if you have any more questions.

does anybody know what the new curriculum is going to consist of?

Dunno whats the holdup. I submitted secondary at the end of August and I still haven't heard back. Is anyone else in my boat? Let me know cuz i'm freakin' out man!!! :scared:

Dunno whats the holdup. I submitted secondary at the end of August and I still haven't heard back. Is anyone else in my boat? Let me know cuz i'm freakin' out man!!! :scared:

yo man me too....

are they done giving out interviews and stuff?