This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffeine Matters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to reach out to all my MS4s on SDN who are going through this unique virtual era due to Covid and need to connect with residents! Feel free to message me if you have questions about FM intern year. I am a current intern with a university FM program.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for reaching out? Appreciate any FM virtual ranking tips! As well as anything you wish you knew before the intern year? Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for reaching out? Appreciate any FM virtual ranking tips! As well as anything you wish you knew before the intern year? Thank you so much!
Hey there is a duplicate thread here with more answers! Hope this answers some of your Qs.

Ranking tips?
-Location, type of training (full spectrum vs not), and culture (are resident happy?) should really be the 3 things determining your rank list. It is tough to say virtually how to gage the culture. I would email the residents and ask how well they get along. with their own program, their faculty, and the other residency programs.

Wish you knew before the intern year?
1) You will be fine. The same anxiety you might have had about starting med school is similar to starting residency. Just know that if you could adapt and get through med school, intern year will be the same.
2) You start to lose your Step1 knowledge, and thats ok.
3) People respect MS4s, but not interns. Sometimes your senior residents or attendings will assume you - as an intern - know little. I have seen my seniors and attendings make incorrect assumptions, and it may be tempting to correct people. But as an intern, sometimes it is best to just know your place. You don't want to come off as arrogant. You would look like a complete fool if you tried to "correct" someone, and then you actually ended up being wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there is a duplicate thread here with more answers! Hope this answers some of your Qs.

Ranking tips?
-Location, type of training (full spectrum vs not), and culture (are resident happy?) should really be the 3 things determining your rank list. It is tough to say virtually how to gage the culture. I would email the residents and ask how well they get along. with their own program, their faculty, and the other residency programs.

Wish you knew before the intern year?
1) You will be fine. The same anxiety you might have had about starting med school is similar to starting residency. Just know that if you could adapt and get through med school, intern year will be the same.
2) You start to lose your Step1 knowledge, and thats ok.
3) People respect MS4s, but not interns. Sometimes your senior residents or attendings will assume you - as an intern - know little. I have seen my seniors and attendings make incorrect assumptions, and it may be tempting to correct people. But as an intern, sometimes it is best to just know your place. You don't want to come off as arrogant. You would look like a complete fool if you tried to "correct" someone, and then you actually ended up being wrong.
Who respects MS4s?