Ms, Mrs or something else in semi-formal letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you reply to female PCs, do you usually write Ms, Mrs, first name, the whole name, something else? I realize that Ms. is right for someone whose marital status you don't know but is Ms. what you use when you respond to PCs? What if they respond with "Dear First Name"? Are we supposed to use their first name?

Members don't see this ad.

Great question !
I've been using the first name only, but I do worry whether this is too familiar

I would not respond with "Dear first name" even if they wrote "Dear first name". In any sort of professional or semi-professional correspondence, you should always use "Ms., Mrs., Mr., or Dr.", especially if you have never met the person. If they use your first name, that just reflects on them. When in doubt, better to be overly formal than overly informal.

stormjen said:
If they use your first name, that just reflects on them.
What do you mean "reflects on them"
Are you saying it reflects badly on them, or that it indicates they are a friendly relaxed kind of person?

Just curious

I don't think it is a bad thing, but it is knocking a professional exchange down to the informal level, which in a situation where one is trying to land a residency position is not something one should necessarily recipricate. It's not too important that the PC make a good impression on applicants, but it's important that applicants appear as professional as possible to the PC, who has a role in deciding who gets interviewed. At least in my opinion.

remember that Mrs. is never appropriate in business correspondence. Ms (without the period) is acceptable.

I've ALWAYS used Mr. or Ms unless the person had an MD or PhD.

doc05 said:
remember that Mrs. is never appropriate in business correspondence. Ms (without the period) is acceptable.

Why is it "Ms" without the period? I use Ms. or Dr. when I address women in a professional setting. What's the difference between Ms and Ms.?

Yeah, I've never heard of using "Ms" without a period. Maybe it's like how you use a colon in business letters but a comma in personal letters? I dunno.

General rule: in all professional exchanges and initial social exchanges (especially with someone who is your elder) use Mr., Ms. Mrs., etc. until you are expressly invited to use first names.

stormjen said:
Yeah, I've never heard of using "Ms" without a period. Maybe it's like how you use a colon in business letters but a comma in personal letters? I dunno.

Mr. = short for Mister
Mrs. = short for Missus
Miss = Miss
Ms = Ms (not short for anything, made up)

GeneGoddess said:
Mr. = short for Mister
Mrs. = short for Missus
Miss = Miss
Ms = Ms (not short for anything, made up)

I'll be darned. Makes sense. Well, I've been writing it incorrectly my whole life, but I guess most people don't know any better.

BellKicker said:
When you reply to female PCs, do you usually write Ms, Mrs, first name, the whole name, something else? I realize that Ms. is right for someone whose marital status you don't know but is Ms. what you use when you respond to PCs? What if they respond with "Dear First Name"? Are we supposed to use their first name?

What's wrong with "Dear Dr. Lastname" ?

I only use Dr. if I can see that the PD has a doctoral degreee (MD, DO, PhD, etc etc etc).

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going with Ms (without the period).

Unless they are doctors, of course, but that's a given.

Got this from the american heritage dictionary online:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/84/M0458400.html

Ms.

PRONUNCIATION: mz
VARIANT FORMS: also Ms
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. Mses. also Mses also Mss. or Mss ( mzz),
1. Used as a courtesy title before the surname or full name of a woman or girl: Ms. Doe; Ms. Jane Doe. 2. Used in informal titles for a woman to indicate the epitomizing of an attribute or activity: Ms. Fashionable; Ms. Volleyball.
ETYMOLOGY: Blend of Miss and Mrs..
USAGE NOTE: Many of us think of Ms. or Ms as a fairly recent invention of the women's movement, but in fact the term was first suggested as a convenience to writers of business letters by such publications as the Bulletin of the American Business Writing Association (1951) and The Simplified Letter, issued by the National Office Management Association (1952). Ms. is now widely used in both professional and social contexts. As a courtesy title Ms. serves exactly the same function that Mr. does for men, and like Mr. it may be used with a last name alone or with a full name. Furthermore, Ms. is correct regardless of a woman's marital status, thus relegating that information to the realm of private life, where many feel it belongs anyway. Some women prefer Miss or Mrs., however, and courtesy requires that their wishes be respected.

Looks like Ms. and Ms are equivalent.